Bow's Cycle Kart Build

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, Arizona, USA   USA
1932 Morgan 3 Wheeler "BME Special"
I decided to start a real build thread, as I have a rough inspiration car, my frame steel, springs, engine, a MIG welder, and very few morals.

The scatterbrained start of this project is actually here: Project Planning: Selecting The Steed

My project will be loosely based on the Panhard Razor. This is a 1926 Land Speed car or which only 4 were built, and none exist today.

Locally, I picked up 20' of 1" x 3" thin wall rectangular tubing and had it cut into 2 - 88" frame rails and 4 -16" cross members. Cost: $31 (including cutting to length)

I also sourced a set of used golf cart springs: 27.5" center to center on the eyes, 1.75" wide, 1/4" thick with 3 leaves each, and pretty darn stiff. I weight around 215, and if it stood on 1 spring, it would only deflect about 1/2". So I took them apart down to the main spring.... Now I stand on the spring, it goes flat before I fully stand on it.... Might be a winner... If it is too soft, I can always add the shorter leaf back on. The End Eyelets are about 1" Diameted, so I will need to source some bushings for those. Leaf Spring Cost: FREE

Next I picked up a Predator 212cc Engine: $99

I picked up a 4' x 8' 5/8" sheet of plywood for my building table and had it cut into 2 - 2' X 8' pieces.

I finally got some time tonight to figure out how wide the inside of my frame rails need to be.. 16" was a bit snug, 17" in the back and 16" in the front offered plenty of room (Photo attached). I might see if I can get away with 15" in the front to give my front wheels plenty of room to turn.

On Oct. 9th, I need to go up to Phoenix (about 3 hours from here) for an appointment, so I am planning to swing over to purchase my Wheels and Rear Hubs from Vintage Cart Company in Mesa, AZ. (That is going to hurt the wallet)

I am also planning my first parts order from Northern Tool to get most of the basic things to be able make it a rolling chassis very soon. Once I get my axle parts in, I will start doing some hole drilling, grinding, and tack welding...

Bow

Cut it with and Axe, Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-02 12:33 AM by Bow.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Frame Layout1.jpg    30.4 KB
Frame Layout1.jpg

Leaf Spring Complete.jpg    34.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Leaf Spring Stripped.jpg    32.8 KB
Dennis Thomas Avatar
phoenix, arizona, USA   USA
1919 CycleKart Lightweight "A.V. Monocar"
1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer "Old Number 27"
1930 CycleKart German "The Boulevard Cruiser"
1937 CycleKart American "37 Studebaker Modified"
Nice work so far Bow! Hey, when you are in town stop by the house and we will fire up the karts. I'll race you around the house! Thankfully summer is all but over. October is the beginning of the fall Cyclekart driving season in my book.....

Shoot me an email when you know your schedule.

Link to Cyclekart videos http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh0MOBj4QLAYsl4XsfXHfWA/videos?flow=grid&sort=da&view=0

Link to Old #27 build photos
http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/DThomas1925/library/Old%2027%20Build%20photos?sort=3&page=1

Link to Monocar build photos
http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/DThomas1925/library/1919%20AV%20Monocar%20Build%20Photos?sort=3&page=1

Link to BMW Roadster build photos
http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/DThomas1925/library/1930%20BMW%203-15%20PS%20Wartburg%20Roadster%20build%20photos?sort=3&page=1

Link to my Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/dennis.thomas.7564

Attachments:
162.jpg    39.4 KB
162.jpg

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, Arizona, USA   USA
Howdy Dennis!

I actually shot you an email last night.

I'm trying to decide if I should pickup a used GX390 that is listed locally for $75...

Bow

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
michaelbikel Mike S
Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA   USA
If its in good condition I say go for it, I got my GX200 used for $30. I don't know about power restrictions with torque converters though, may want to talk to a pro on that...

In reply to # 13320 by Bow Howdy Dennis!

I actually shot you an email last night.

I'm trying to decide if I should pickup a used GX390 that is listed locally for $75...

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, Arizona, USA   USA
Well I stopped into my local Harbor Freight tonight to grab a cut off saw...

Picked up the saw, and some clamps.. Then I looked at the Predator engines... Low and behold, they have the one I actually wanted I. Stock. The 60363 "HEMI" head version...

They are holding it for me until tomorrow for a straight exchange....

Is it worth more power? Probably not, but they are hard to find, and I can say... "Yup, it's got a Hemi" !

Bow

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
More than 8hp will break a TAV2, just beware!

michaelbikel Mike S
Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA   USA
and there is your answer!

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, Arizona, USA   USA
The HEMI 212cc is no different than a GX200 or any other of the 6.5 HP clones, except it has a Hemispherical combustion chamber...

Is anyone running a totally stock GX200? No aftermarket air cleaner or exhaust, straight stock..

The Tieton guys? Highly doubt they run stock when they allow up to Stage 1 mods, which are good to make 10+ HP on a 200/212 engine.

But hey, I have a long way to go before I need to worry about the Torque Converter anyway...

Bow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-03 10:52 PM by Bow.

DavidMGA1600 Avatar
DavidMGA1600 Silver Member David Lake
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1935 CycleKart Great Britain
1960 MG MGA "Dads Car"
1961 CycleKart Race Car "Team Ferrari"
It's a HEMI...

David

1960 MGA 1600 Convertible,
Gold Coast, Australia.

Attachments:
shirt.jpg    10.5 KB
shirt.jpg

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, Arizona, USA   USA
In reply to # 13343 by DavidMGA1600 It's a HEMI...

EXACTLY!!!!!

Some smartass comes up... "Is that a Hemi?"

Yup...

If nothing else, bragging rights....

Bow

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
If I remember correctly the BMW only has a pipe and aircleaner. Dennis can say yay or nay to that.

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, Arizona, USA   USA
In reply to # 13348 by carChips If I remember correctly the BMW only has a pipe and aircleaner. Dennis can say yay or nay to that.

I'll bet it doesn't have a governor either.... Dennis has the engine modification video on You Tube for the Mono Car...

Just removing the governor on these engines will get you north of 8HP with an Air Cleaner and Header

Bow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-03 10:54 PM by Bow.

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, Arizona, USA   USA
Well, I picked up my new Predator 212cc (60363), that the kart racing types say has a Hemi Combustion Chamber. Local store did a straight exchange, then I picked up a few other things (like an auto darkening welding helmet on sale for $40).

I got home, put on some Royal Crown Review (Modern Swing Music to get in the 1930's Mood) and played with the frame layout again... heeding advice from Dennis, I decided to widen the chassis a bit.

Currently the inside chassis rail dimensions are 19" in the rear and 16" in the front, which makes it quite roomy...

I threw the front Springs and Engine up on the table to start to get a feel for the layout. At first I had planned to copy the layout of Dennis' MonoCar (rear axle 24" from the back of the chassis) but realized if I did that, it would limit my leg room if I keep with the look of the Panhard Razor with the Radiator Shell just aft of the front axle. This setup would only give me a 50" wheelbase.

SO I decided to put the axle behind the engine, 10" from the end of the chassis, making it more of a "Mid Engine" setup with around a 64" wheel base.

After playing with the frame, I started to get a feel for what to put on paper, so I started working on that...

It looks like 88" frame length, around 64" wheelbase 21" total rear Frame width, 18" total Frame width in the front...

I might go for a narrower front end as well....

Bow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-04 12:14 AM by Bow.

Attachments:
Eng 60363 Hemi.jpg    38.4 KB
Eng 60363 Hemi.jpg

Frame Layout2 F.jpg    40.9 KB
Print In Work.jpg    39.9 KB
moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Hello Bow,
I found attached sketches some years ago, and forgot designer and more details of that, but I think that they reperesent scalled-down replica of Panhard Razor Blade!
Quite good proportions, but longer vehicle than standard-CK. It show strange "negative" castor, as I could see...

Maybe to late now to show them to you, but I spent a lot of time to find them in my computer archive...

Regards,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

Attachments:
The Blade, Panhard replica (1).jpg    31.2 KB
The Blade, Panhard replica (1).jpg

The Blade, Panhard replica (2).jpg    22.7 KB
The Blade, Panhard replica (3).jpg    15.1 KB
moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
P.S.: By strange luck, I found old web-site about designing of Panhard Razor Blade, in a scale of cyclecar! Please, pay attention: it started as designing Bugatti as cycleecar, but change direction toward Panhard.
There could be found sketches for chassis construction and sketches of many interesitng details, possibly useful for any other model of CK...

http://jjgaudel.com/HTMLSITE/bugatti/bugatti.html

Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

2010 CycleKart Custom

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links