CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Bugatti 37 / Bentley blower

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Firehouse9114 Avatar
Firehouse9114 Nick Walters
Spencertown, NY, USA   USA
I'm a new member and have been admiring people's builds here for a few months after a friend send me a link to the racing in Tieton.

I wanted a father son project to get my youngest off the computer but so far that's not working out too well.

I bought a Porsche 914 and a welder but soon realized I am in way over my head . I've never welded before, actually no metal work experience since high school, until I built the rotisserie for that project and I wanted to get a little more weld time in before I really started that project in earnest.

I bought some parts and an engine in Jan for my sons birthday and started tracing around some photos in graphite, a cad program I use at work. I wanted to work out the size to fit the wheels and a person.

"Richard Milhous Dastardly"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image.jpg    27.3 KB
image.jpg

Firehouse9114 Avatar
So I was going to do an organized plan/build as inspired by Dennis Thomas but I am just too impatient. I bought some 1x2 steel and started laying things out. For the first build I am going to keep things pretty straightforward from the drive train stand point.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    50.5 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    54.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
image.jpeg    56.5 KB
Firehouse9114 Avatar
I decided to point the torque converter down so I didn't need to file the ribs. I also wanted to keep the motor as far forward as possible as I want to hide it in the body. Brake installed. The beginnings of the front axle.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    49.5 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    47.5 KB
image.jpeg    49.8 KB
Firehouse9114 Avatar
I chose to weld the axle as I don't have a bender. Hopefully it will be strong enough. Starting to get the shapes and seeing if it fits.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    54.3 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    48.7 KB
image.jpeg    51.1 KB
T Hilde Avatar
T Hilde Todd Hildebrandt
Faribault, MN, USA   USA
2016 CycleKart Stevenson "A-C Special"
I like it! Keep plugging away.

Firehouse9114 Avatar
Thanks Todd, try to do a little everyday. It's so much fun I have to wake up to get an hr of so in before wk.

I also never explained the title. Our dad bought a scalectrix set "for us" when my brother was born. The cars were little replicas of classic old cars but we weren't allowed to touch. We used to sneak to the basement to play with the cars when he was away. I sent pictures of my progress on the cyclekart to my brother and told him it was based on my childhood memory of the Bugatti/scalectrix car we had. He promptly responded that It was a Bentley Blower and as soon as I looked at pictures online I realized he was right. Now I have build #2 ready to go.

Team classic Brian S
Lyttelton Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand   NZL
My favourite British Classic Nick, a timeless great car with so much character..Good luck with your build and keep posting the pic's..Regards Brian S.

Firehouse9114 Avatar
Thanks Brian. I'm actually a little further on with the build but I realize I haven't taken that many pics.
These are from the beginning of March, starting to look at the body shape and work out my frame for the aluminum. I had some leftover cedar decking that seemed pretty light.
The torque converter hangs below the cart. Still should have a good 4" of clearance but I guess I may need to build a protective bar.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    50.1 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    64.7 KB
image.jpeg    49.1 KB
image.jpeg    33.8 KB
Firehouse9114 Avatar
Finally early March I have a rolling chassis. So much fun. I am using #35 chain 12/60 ratio. Took awhile to get everything lined up. It felt fast to me, especially with the beginnings of a steering wheel and sliding around on the plywood seat. A link to the my first run video although I have no idea if it will work. My first YouTube post. Not sure how Dennis T manages to get so much done while making and editing his videos. I think I'm close to having watched them all. Thx!

Attachments:
image.jpeg    47 KB
image.jpeg

Firehouse9114 Avatar
i want a nice looking speedo on the final car. This isn't period correct, but I did hit 40. Pretty scary really as the steering feels way to quick. I have been researching steering quickeners installed in reverse, has anyone tried this or do you just get used to putting less into the steering? I thought it was a speed wobble at first but it was just me over correcting.

I'm also going to need to rethink the chain. After about an hr it popped off and destroyed the chain and probably the aluminum sprockets as well. Ordered a couple of steel sprockets in different sizes and a 10 tooth sprocket for the tav so I can play around a little. I also added a middle bearing because I thought the axle could be deflecting slightly under hard cornering. Will see...

Attachments:
image.jpeg    31 KB
image.jpeg

Dennis Thomas Avatar
phoenix, arizona, USA   USA
1919 CycleKart Lightweight "A.V. Monocar"
1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer "Old Number 27"
1930 CycleKart German "The Boulevard Cruiser"
1937 CycleKart American "37 Studebaker Modified"
Great looking rolling chassis Nick! Nice job bringing it all together. I watched your video and it seems to run pretty good, plus you exhibited the classic "Cyclekart smile". You are going to have a good looking finished kart! I see you are going for a 5:1 gear ratio (my favorite) which should be good for 45+ MPH if you get on a good straightaway and let her run. I have come to like the 35 chains too. As to the quick steering, you will get used to it very quick as you drive it more. The high speed twitch you describe could also be a misaligned front axle and wheels. I set mine up with 8 to 10 degrees of positive castor (top of axle tilted toward the rear) and 1/8 to 1/4 inch of toe in on the front wheels. I also use a string line to set up the tracking so that the rear wheels are in line with the fronts. Every car is different but with some trial and error you can find the sweet spot.

You mentioned that your chain came off, my experience is that if there is ANY flex in the motor mount plate your chain will pop off under load, usually over rough ground or in a hard corner. I subsequently learned to build my motor mount/motor plate as stout as I could. I'm talking battleship quality here. You don't want the engine to move at all, not even a millimeter if possible.

I'll be following along as you continue you build and post more videos. Thanks for posting your progress. thumbs up

Here is a drawing of my current build and a photo of two of my cars and two other local builder's cars (Steve and Lowell)

We'll call them inspiration shots....cool smiley

Link to Cyclekart videos http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh0MOBj4QLAYsl4XsfXHfWA/videos?flow=grid&sort=da&view=0

Link to Old #27 build photos
http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/DThomas1925/library/Old%2027%20Build%20photos?sort=3&page=1

Link to Monocar build photos
http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/DThomas1925/library/1919%20AV%20Monocar%20Build%20Photos?sort=3&page=1

Link to BMW Roadster build photos
http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/DThomas1925/library/1930%20BMW%203-15%20PS%20Wartburg%20Roadster%20build%20photos?sort=3&page=1

Link to my Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/dennis.thomas.7564

Attachments:
20160320_165709.jpg    31.6 KB
20160320_165709.jpg

20160319_225542.jpg    26.8 KB
20160409_164550.jpg    51.9 KB
Firehouse9114 Avatar
hi Dennis, it really is hard to wipe that smile off your face when you are behind the wheel.

I didn't really do any alignment on the first runs, just used a tape measure from the tires to the frame for an approximation so I am sure their is some room for improvement. I put some castor in, about 6-8 deg. so I think I am good there. Glad to hear you like the #35 chain as I was already thinking about swapping it out after reading some other posts. I think my mount is pretty stout but I may have under tightened one bolt because it was loose when I took everything apart. Also in my excitement to get going at the beginning I ordered the wrong torque converter. I ordered for a 1" diameter shaft but it's 3/4 on the engine. Not in the budget to get another one yet so I cobbled together something with a sleeve from lowes, a couple of keys and my angle grinder. I'll check to see how much play I have there.

I think I must have been watching your latest video as you were responding to my post. She's going to be another beauty. I'll be following along closely. I also was very impressed with the "hot laps" your grandchildren were doing at the end. To be honest I was worried about my son driving because the karts seem pretty quick to me. Do you have a way of dialing back the speed when the younger ones are driving?

I am very exited to be working on the bodywork now. I have been struggling with louvers due to my lack of tools. After a lot of experimentation with a dremel and some ipe scraps and plywood I think I am close.

Firehouse9114 Avatar
A busy month working on the body work. It took me awhile to figure out the swirl pattern in the dash and then it was onto brazing aluminum with a propane torch to build the front grill. Thank u YouTube...

Attachments:
image.jpeg    47.4 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    45.2 KB
image.jpeg    43.6 KB
image.jpeg    41.8 KB
Firehouse9114 Avatar
The whole louvre thing got me a little overwhelmed. I wanted to do everything in house but a sawzall and grinder were not going to help here. I found a vintage airplane restoration blog and tried the wood die method. The first ones took awhile and were rough but with slight tweeks they improved and so did the production rate

Attachments:
image.jpeg    45.2 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    50.2 KB
image.jpeg    38.4 KB
image.jpeg    31.1 KB
Firehouse9114 Avatar
I found a batch of vintage speedos on eBay. It was going to just be for looks but then I wanted it working. The speedo able was the hardest part. I used brake line pipe for the sleeve and a universal cable. The drive is a vintage huret off eBay. It works but I'll see how it holds up and if it's accurate when I get the engine back in. Right now a good hand spin gets it to about 15 mph

Attachments:
image.jpeg    39.1 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    32.3 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

2015 CycleKart German

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links