AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Bruce Wayne?????
Not hat explains everything.
Your secret is out Rhys.
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Pierro Taruffi Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffs, UK   GBR
1923 CycleKart Vintage "Voisin Laboratoire"
No, very poor, pursuing the dreams and I will be destitute by the time I am due for the rest home smiling smiley Tieton was "bucket list" then you guys said it was OK to repeat that, so if I can I will do it again. Geez Otto you spend time in Italy and call me a traveller! Second after you??
I am looking forward to Tieton V, hope I can pull it off again. Somewhere between NZ and Seattle is a very part finished CK, so lots of working to be done when I arrive at Seatac. I need to find a pilot who can fly me for free!

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
In reply to # 22272 by Pierro Taruffi As I am driving this "real one" pictured at a couple of events shortly, perhaps this should be the next CK. I do wish I could make up my mind! This exact car competed in Targa Florio.
=============================================
Hello Rhys,
I am I little rusted - but what is that? It looks to me quite big sporting automobile, but with something mixed style: old-fashioned boxy-body (late Edwardian - early Vintage), then - with big front brakes and Brooklands aero-screens? British special? Maybe on big Fiat or Alfa mechanics, or mentioned Sunbeam?
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Pierro Taruffi Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffs, UK   GBR
1923 CycleKart Vintage "Voisin Laboratoire"
That is actually quite a small car, but with 2.3 litre engine. It is a Diatto, was driven in Targa Florio in 1922 and 1923 exactly as it is now. I am doing a check to see about the colour, but as the owner is fastidious about details, I suspect it is totally correct. Colour confirmed! I have to say I was a little surprised about it being quite so bright.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-14 02:56 AM by Pierro Taruffi.

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Hello Rhys,
At least I was close – it was Italian sport/racing car! Some decade-two ago, I would know for Diatto automobiles, being amateur motoring historian, but now I manage to forget in a month more than I could learn for a year! And, Internet: make me lazy – it easier to find some information when I need it, then to remember it...
For sure that you shall find a lot of original and true information from original owner of Targa Florio Diatto – but, I am still curious as a cat and search a little to learn for myself. Obviously that Diatto had good and successful racing career for almost two decades, and was closely connected with Ettore Bugatti and later brothers Maserati – who were engineers and drivers for that company... Engines were four cylinder double OHC with 16 valves in touring and racing variants, no maters of volume - with four-wheel braked chassis...

Who want to know more (if anybody), could read attached paragraphs from Wikimedia and other resources, or visit following web-sites:

http://www.italiaspeed.com/2007/motor_shows/geneva/preview/zagato/diatto_ottovu/1302.html
http://uniquecarsandparts.com/lost_marques_diatto.htm
http://www.formula2.net/Targa22.htm
http://www.formula2.net/Targa23.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
FROM INTERNET:
"Diatto began life in the first half of the 1800s building carriages. In the 1870s, they entered the railway carriage business and by 1905, automobiles had come to market. The car business started as Diatto-Clement, building Clement-Bayard cars under license in Turin. It wasn’t until 1909 that their own designs went on sale.

After World War I, Diatto turned upmarket and began selling very nice, innovative cars. The new-for-’22 Tipo 20 was the most-popular car they built. It uses a 2.0-liter straight-four making 40 horsepower. The model names were shaken up when a short-wheelbase Tipo 20S was introduced, meaning the original wheelbase version was renamed the Tipo 20A.

1927 was the final year Diatto actually built cars."
--------------------------------------------------------
"Already since 1906 Diatto participated and won many sports competitions, but it was the commercial success of the first World War that finally opened the way to the races. In the first race of the post-war period, the Parma-Poggio di Berceto, the house stood two official cars on the first and second place, Diatto 30 -Bugatti and Diatto 4DC.
In 1921 it was built a racing car series with Diatto Sport chassis, powered Bugatti 4-cylinder, 1,500 cc with compressor; cars won international rallies such as the Grand Prix of Brescia Gentleman (First Grand Prix of Italy), the hill climbs Susa-Moncenisio, Aosta-Gran San Bernardo. Even the Bugatti race chassis type "Brescia race", were in turn equipped with powerful engines Diatto 2 liter, 16-valve, reflecting the mutual technological versatility also applied to the competitions.
In the period of the team's racing activities were many drivers who took turns at the wheel of the cars; among others Alfieri and Ernesto Maserati, Tazio Nuvolari, Marquis De Diego Sterlich (ex-Bugatti), Count Gastone Brilli Peri (later Alfa Romeo sample), Countess Maria Antonietta Avanzo, Franz and Carlo Alberto Conelli, Cesare Schieppati, Emilio Mattresses, Guido Meregalli, Giulio Aymini, Domenico Gamboni.
In 1922 Alfieri Maserati was appointed team manager ran; the 1st "GP Autumn" of Monza won with a Diatto 3000 in front of Ugo Sivocci of Alfa Romeo, followed victories in the Targa Florio, Cremona racetrack, the Consuma Cup, Hills Pistoia, Aosta-Gran San Bernardo, Parma- Poggio di Berceto, Limonest and Schabenberg in France, Gothenbourg and Bollans in Switzerland, Rebassada (Barcelona) and Valencia in Spain.
Between 1924 and 1925, Alfieri Maserati, under the guidance of technical director of Diatto, ing. Tail, designed an engine of 8C 1995 cc compressor: thus was born the 8C Grand Prix compressor 160 hp, with Schieppati bodywork, which was presented at Monza June 14, 1925, on the occasion of the foundation by Diatto supporters, the historian "hundred Club an hour." Maserati effected some demonstration laps and reached with the car the speed of 180 km / h.
In 1926, Maserati received payment in some of the Type 30 sports chassis, equipped with 8C engines, transmissions, suspensions and many mechanical parts; from this came the Maserati Tipo 26 and began the history of Maserati."
------------------------------------------------------
.".. his performance convinced the management of the traditional Societa Anonima Autoconstruzione Diatto – they offered Alfieri a plant car and the job as technical consultant for the development of racing cars. Diatto, a railway-producer established 1902, had also produced a number of touring cars, among others the sports model 35, a 3 litre four-cylinder, from which Alfieri constructed a nice little two-seater, which reached a top speed of around 140 km/h, though the technical basis was not very favourable.
With this car he won the class over 3 litre cubic capacity at the Grand Prix of Monza in 1922 – he took place three in the total ranking.
The next step of development was a racing car based on the Diatto Model 20, a 2 litre four-cylinder. This engine, which already had two upper cam-shafts, had, after having been prepared by Alfieri, a performance of 75 hp at 1400/min and took– called 20 S – several good places and won, with Meregalli, in 1923 and 24, the race in Garda. The win of 1922, also with Meregalli at the wheel, had been achieved with the 3 litre car.
Alfieri Maserati himself participated in the Grand Prix of San Sebastian in 1924 with the 20 S, and though the competition of Bugatti, Delage and Sunbeam was theoretically superior, Alfieri could hold the third place until he had an engine defect.
Though Alfieri took pains to teach the rather conservative Diattos about racing, it became clear very soon that the big-volume four-cylinders would never become winning cars."
--------------------------------------------------------
Please check with owner about displacement of his sport/racer: mostly it is mentioned that model Diatto 20 had engines with 1.5 litre (probably developed from Bugatti Brescia) and 2.0 litre – for 1922 Targa Florio and model 20S had 3.0 litre for 1923 Targa Florio... Maybe engine of 2.3 was specially developed for races from otherwise excellent touring variant of 2.0 litre? Anyway, nothing presented should be too important for recreation that racer in scale of CycleKart, but...

Diatto's symbol was very similar to Bugatti's, but was copy-right protected as the first... Beside badge, attached are photos of different Diatto racers...

Ciao,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-14 01:41 PM by moto-klasika.

Attachments:
Diatto..._30.jpeg    45.1 KB
Diatto..._30.jpeg

diatto-tipo 30 1921.JPG    35.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
diatto targa florio 1919.jpg    39 KB
DIATTO BUGATTI Turin.JPG    42.4 KB
Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Reminded me of a 1921 Roamer Speedster I saw a couple of years ago at the Gilmore Museum in Michigan.
Loved it!
Reminded me of an American made Rolls Royce????
Brian

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
In reply to # 22316 by Woodysrods Reminded me of a 1921 Roamer Speedster I saw a couple of years ago at the Gilmore Museum in Michigan.
Loved it!
Reminded me of an American made Rolls Royce????
Brian
==============================================
Hello Brian,
Somehting as on attached photo: racing ROLLS-ROYCE in America, but from older period!
Pay attention on lighten chassis (holes & holes)! Not made in USA, but quite modified there - and raced quite succesfully, sometime even with Hon. C.S. Rolls himself! !
Ciao,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić

Attachments:
1906 RR light20-USA.jpg    38.4 KB
1906 RR light20-USA.jpg

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Hello there,
Instead of inspirational photos, this time moving pictures or films as they are called somewhere:

Magnificent cars, great drivers and serious racing!

Ciao,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić

Topper2011 Avatar
Topper2011 Roland Young
Los Altos, CA, USA   USA
Hi Zoran, I just posted the same one on the top on The HAMB, since someone there post pictures of the checker painted GN which won that race at Goodwood. Fantastic racing.

"Man plans, God laughs"

Silverghost Peter Hays
Chicago, IL, USA   USA
This would be interesting. Note the double right front tires. smiling smiley

Attachments:
old time racer.jpg    36.4 KB
old time racer.jpg

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Interesting, I'd guess at rear wheel steering too, which would make it doubly interesting to race.grinning smiley

Topper2011 Avatar
Topper2011 Roland Young
Los Altos, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 22636 by Silverghost This would be interesting. Note the double right front tires. smiling smiley

Hi Peter, my cycle kart is the 1909 version of the Christie.

"Man plans, God laughs"

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Ah, must look more closely before posting, see the pivot turrets on the front now.

Silverghost Peter Hays
Chicago, IL, USA   USA
Here's a trio of Gordon-Bennet Cup racers.

Attachments:
Wolsley racers.jpg    33.3 KB
Wolsley racers.jpg

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, Arizona, USA   USA
1932 Morgan 3 Wheeler "BME Special"
Something "New" that is a Cycle Car racer...

http://www.allardownersclub.org/wordpress/?page_id=957

Bow

Cut it with and Axe, Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1935 CycleKart Great Britain

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links