AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Torro123 Avatar
Torro123 René Wesselius
Amsterdam, NH, Netherlands   NLD
Joost my thoughts are based on one of bikes i own
147cc illiers engine 1932

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
1112456102dd675405.jpg    58.6 KB
1112456102dd675405.jpg

jcny Avatar
jcny Silver Member John Corey
Melrose, New York, USA   USA
1927 CycleKart French "Sam"
Maybe the 1.25 Hp rating is one of those old statutory HP numbers calculated for tax purposes by some formula of bore and astroke, rather than an actual power? See for details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_horsepower

Builder: John 'the Fierce' Corey, aka Lord Emile Salmson (or Lordy Miles On Some)

Mark C Silver Member Mark Cross
Marysville, Ohio, USA   USA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
untitled-122-620x411.jpg    63.9 KB
untitled-122-620x411.jpg

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Hello there,
As I like motoring history mysteries (as all other mysteries) about interesting motorised vehicles - I search a little (being pensioner, time isn't important to me anymore)...
It has 175 cc engine! Nowhere I could found information about the power of that engine, not even in original brochures and advertisements, or John Cooper own testimony! (more about that later).
Maybe that mentioned 1.25 h.p. presented fiscal h.p. and not power in BHP? But, in some brochure, it was mentioned for Villiers:

"... 1926 saw the introduction of the first 125cc model, the Mark VI D 1¼ h.p. Engine... "

... then:

“The 172c.c. model gained 6 world speed records for long distance at Brooklands. A 3.5 h.p. engine carried a sidecar and passenger through the 1927 Paris-Nice 1,000 miles trial without losing a single mark.”

… and, they were quite fast and reliable:

“There are too many awards to list, but some of the more important include:
Tommy Meeten's World Records at Brooklands in the 172cc class for:
- 7hrs at 51.24mph
- 8hrs at 51.87mph
- 9hrs at 51.75mph
- 10hrs at 50.84mph
- 11hrs at 50.52 mph
- 12hrs at 50.27 mph
- 24hrs at 50.06 mph
At the Montlhéry Race Track in France, Monet Goyon took the World Standing Start and Flying Kilometre Class Records with Albert Sourdor riding, and the 175cc Class World Records for:
- 500km at 51.2mph
- 1,000km at 50.3mph
- 1,500km at 50.75mph
- 2,000km at 52.06mph
They won the 175cc Class in the Swiss Grand Prix, The French National Championship for Class 6 (175cc) for 4 consecutive years, and the 175cc Class in the Bol d'Or race covering 290 laps (940 miles) in the Forest of Fontainebleau, at a speed of 42mph.”

The most important was original John Cooper's testimony, about 500 cc racing class, that he started with a short introduction about his midget-car – attached is the picture cut from that article. As we should believe to him, speeds could be in a region of 50 MPH, precisely 40 knots ~ 46 MPH, something less than was mentioned before... Too fast for a well-built but small car, with such engine and 9-year old boy?
As John's midget-car was built in 1932, probably that his father used some older engine from the twenties, but it still could have around 10 BHP?

Not of any big importance today, but could be interesting for comparative performances of CycleKarts?

Ciao,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

Attachments:
John Cooper-Midget racer.jpg    83.9 KB
John Cooper-Midget racer.jpg

Rhysn Rhys N
New Zealand   NZL
In reply to # 26649 by jcny Maybe the 1.25 Hp rating is one of those old statutory HP numbers calculated for tax purposes by some formula of bore and astroke, rather than an actual power? See for details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_horsepower

Indeed correct. 1.25hp was correct for 125 cc. As was Austin 7 (hp) 747 cc

belugawhaleman Paul Veiga
Beach park, Illinois, USA   USA
How about this?

gearguy Charles Schultz
Oil City, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
From FB: early 1950s HRG Spider.

Attachments:
hrgspider.jpg    44.6 KB
hrgspider.jpg

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Wow.....we could have "CycleKarts on Parade" if everyone built the inspiration cars that have been posted on the very large thread.
Good Roads
Woody

gearguy Charles Schultz
For those who do not cycle kart alone:
Justin Tremain just posted a 'Cyclecar' pic , questions were asked ,there are some on the French National Library site 'Gallica' .... CYCLECAR -Elfe by Eugène Mauve (at the wheel )(from Isabelle Bracquemond -FB )Pesage_Paris_Nice_à_motocyclette_[...]Agence_de_btv1b90384000

Attachments:
TandemCK.jpg    60.7 KB
TandemCK.jpg

jcny Avatar
jcny Silver Member John Corey
Melrose, New York, USA   USA
1927 CycleKart French "Sam"
Hmmm... this is an unusual prototype! I love the coil-fin radiator wrapped around the cowl!

Builder: John 'the Fierce' Corey, aka Lord Emile Salmson (or Lordy Miles On Some)

Attachments:
IMG_2837.jpg    66.1 KB
IMG_2837.jpg

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Hello, John!
It seems that Jey Leno likes it, driving one of only two made, well-reconstructed 1910 Buick Bug 60 Specials, with two 4-cylinder, 622-cubic-inch and 2,600-pounds heavy - quite a monster, isn't it!

Enjoy in sound, too - no music!

Ciao,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić

gearguy Charles Schultz
Minimalism in action. No bodywork at all.

Attachments:
railjob.jpg    39.8 KB
railjob.jpg

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Hello, Charles!
It is Ransom E. Olds in his Olds Pirate racing car at Ormond Beach, constructed on the base of Oldsmobile - highly developed and modified! Springs are similar to springs used for standard passenger auto: long, very long longitudinal leaf springs from front to rear axle, fixed to the middle part of chassis. Springs act as a pair of quarter elliptic springs, both front and rear.

I am afraid that Cyclekartistes should put a really heavy engine in the middle of the replica if want to seat so far backwards, but...

You could see its reconstructed version in action:

Obviously, Olds was great engineer and industrialist, but the brave driver, too?
There is a place for mechanics, too!
(if he dare to take a ride)

There a pair of short films, some of many, with a replica of standard Oldsmobile:

Oldsmobile Curved-Dach, known as CDO - is one of the most built replicas based on old American veteran cars, so-called horseless-carriage-replicas - HCR...

Ciao,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
... CORRECTION: long leaf springs used from passenger model was cut and separated in the middle for PIRATE RACER!
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

2007 CycleKart Custom

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links