CycleKart Tech Forum

Weighing a kart

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MrBrian22 Brian A
G, Tennessee, USA   USA
2016 CycleKart American "BC Flyer"
Is there an easy way to weigh my cyclekart? Other than getting like 4 bathroom scales and putting one under each wheel? I'm sure you all have come up with some interesting ways to weigh yours

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Pierro Taruffi Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffs, UK   GBR
1923 CycleKart Vintage "Voisin Laboratoire"
In reply to # 16796 by MrBrian22 Is there an easy way to weigh my cyclekart? Other than getting like 4 bathroom scales and putting one under each wheel? I'm sure you all have come up with some interesting ways to weigh yours

That"s my way, easy

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Hello Brian and Rhys,
With my brother and some friends, for other vehicles than CycleKart, a few times I used simple method, maybe not quite accurate, but good for us:

- use just one bathroom scale, putting it under each wheel at a time, then calculate summation of all four weights (under each of wheels)... it should be important that vehicle stay more-or-less horisontal during such operation!

Ciao,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
You didn't mention if you were looking for only the total weight or to do
an accurate weight and balance for handling purposes.
Total weight should be under what most bathroom scales top out at,
which is 300 lbs. Of course some karts tend to grow in girth like their
owners in which case a scale under each axle would suffice.
For a setup, I see no reason why Zoran's idea of weighing each wheel
individually wouldn't work for a Cyclekart, the sum of those weights would
give you a pretty close total, not exactly as he pointed out, but pretty close.
Any twisting forces on the frame will give you a false reading, which is
how a weight jacker works on a race car..
I'd cut three wooden blocks the same height as the single scale for the
other wheels also, as Zoran also mentioned, to keep the wheels somewhat
on the same plane.
dg

andrewroudny Avatar
andrewroudny andrew roudny
peterborough, ontario, Canada   CAN
1939 CycleKart German "The Vulture"
Has anyone considered a hanging scale? I have seen a "big game" scale for hunters that I think goes to 300lbs. They're used for weighing deer and moose and such. Maybe they go even higher.

If you put a belt around each wheel, or found the ck's centre of gravity, you could weigh it with this hangning scale. They're $50 at Canadian Tire (if you happen to be in Canada) but I'm sure they sell them elsewhere.

"I never lose. I either win or learn.”
-Nelson Mandela

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Go down to the highway and roll it onto your local big truck scale, the local scrap yard also has a roll on scale.

Injunbike Avatar
Injunbike Mike Thorpe
Auckland, North Island, New Zealand   NZL
1914 CycleKart French
1914 CycleKart German "GP Mercedes"
1920 Other Custom
1922 CycleKart Great Britain "R A 30/98"    & more
The local scrapyards scales will be 20lb outwinking smiley

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
My local scrapper has an accurate one, I'm 200 on my bathroom scale and there.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
I just go to the Dump. Run through the scale with whatever on or in the trailer. Roll it of and go through again.
The difference is exactly the weight of what you rolled off.
Brian

MrBrian22 Brian A
G, Tennessee, USA   USA
So I just weighed my kart this morning. I did the scale under each wheel, and then put a board across the scale and weighed the front axle and the rear axle separately. Doing that got me at the 333 lbs mark, and I still have about 10 more lbs of accessories to add! I thought using foam board covered in fiberglass for the body would make it lighter. I wonder if I got my framing steel tubing too thick. Oh well, I guess it'll be a heavyweight

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Could we see a picture of your finished CycleKart
333 lbs sounds a little on the heavy side alright???
Brian

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
I was about to buy a game scale when I spotted a stack of bathroom scales in a thrift store.
I picked out the 3 that best indicated my known weight, took 'em home, leveled them out and rolled the
car up onto them. Totaled up to 252lbs. Got over to the Tieton warehouse and they got 256lbs, so that was
close enough for me.
When foam and glass gets heavy, the culprit is usually too much resin. Keep to 1 layer of 4 to 6 oz cloth, and only enough resin to wet out the weave, rolled out till it looks dry. Wash off the blush next day, then a final coat of resin will fill the weave. You're not building a corvette hood, after all.

MrBrian22 Brian A
G, Tennessee, USA   USA
Well, I kind of have it apart right now to work on the brakes and a few other things, so I'll post the album of the build so far, along with the Christmas pictures I took lol. It's far from done, but I got it together enough for Christmas pictures
https://imgur.com/a/JrR8i

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
In reply to # 27490 by MrBrian22 Well, I kind of have it apart right now to work on the brakes and a few other things, so I'll post the album of the build so far, along with the Christmas pictures I took lol. It's far from done, but I got it together enough for Christmas pictures
https://imgur.com/a/JrR8i
======================================================
Hello, Brian
Nice slide-show about process of constructing your wonderful CycleKart!
Interesting design and techical solutions, especially suspended seat and doors - but the most interesting is folding top!
Strange how all that was well balanced with the final result - the cutest CycleKart.
Regards,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

MrBrian22 Brian A
G, Tennessee, USA   USA
Thanks, I did a video update, but had problems with editing software, so sometime soon I'll do a detailed video of how everything changed and the features in depth. But right now, it's disassembled so I can add hydraulic brakes

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1970 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links