CycleKart Tech Forum

Weighing a kart

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Azroddy Avatar
Azroddy Jon R
Mesa, AZ, USA   USA
At one of our meet ups I just used my shop pallet jack and a mailing scale. The scale is like $40 at Sam's club and goes up to 400 pounds. But the scale on a board and then a board on top of the scale. Then moved it under the Kart and lifted it up. Works well. They also make a scales pallet jack but they are like $800

Jon R.
Arizona Cyclekart Club Member

Check out my Cyclekart videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvkqtC-vHIKjoizyjuGnH6g

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
How long ago did you buy that 400 lb. scale for $40 at Sam's Jon?
The cheapest postal scale with that high of range that I've found
anywhere was over $100. And all you're getting is the total weight.

I still think the best over all bet for weighing a 300 lb. CK is using
4 bathroom scales. I just took a look at Walmart's site and they have
those thin large platform digital scales for $12.88 ; Large blue back-lit LCD display,
good to 400 lbs or 180 kg; graduation in increments of 0.2 pounds./0.1 kg;
measurement units in pound, kilogram or stone
At that price for fifty bucks you can do a damn accurate four corner
weight and balance of your chassis with or without the driver in
place.
Of course there are always going to be those naysayers that believe
this is all a waste of time and it is what it is and it doesn't matter
with a Cyclekart. I personally like to be as informed as I can be.
dg

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Good Morning Denny (almost my bedtime)
Pardon my poor memory o weight distribution fro Physics class almost 50 years ago.
But, what is the formula or Theorem for Weight distribution.
And will 4 scales give you the exact overall weight?
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1954 Chevrolet 3600
And this is my time to rise and shine and get a fire goin’ in the barn while I make me
a pot ‘O coffee.
I’m not a designer Brian, just fairly handy with my hands and can usually follow along
with what the designer types come up with.
As a couple of the guys pointed out earlier, as long as the four wheels are on the same
plane and level with mother earth, all four of the scales can be added to give the total
weight. Makes it easy to determine where the static weight distribution is on your vehicle.
Bout a year ago I tried starting a thread to gather up enough data to determine some
averages. Had a couple guys that understood what I was trying to do and a couple that
didn’t and a few more that shot the idea down as useless.
Granted, these chassis and suspension are just about as basic as you can get, but there
is still a little bit that we can work with when it comes to balancing out the chassis to get
it to handle better. If you’re of the mind that concerning yourself with this is totally useless
for a Cyclekart, then you might as well say that concerning yourself with front end geometry
or spring rates are a waste of time also.

Denny G

Neto Ernest B
Berlin, Ohio, USA   USA
I have been watching in the used goods stores around here, and have purchased 2 of the old style (non-electronic) bath scales. (I know that only one is really necessary, but got the second one because it is an older American made one, while the first one is made "somewhere else".) I'm pretty sure you pointed this out in the past, Denny, that with the electronic ones you have to activate them first, then there is a limited amount of time to set the weight on it, and it probably goes blank after some set time. (The one my wife bought some years ago is like that.) So I think the mechanical type is best for this purpose, and I am, by the way, one of those who thinks that weight distribution is important. This is one of the main reasons I prefer to have the engine up front, and definitely not stuck out beyond the rear axle. Maybe some numbers like Denny has been asking for in previous threads would show that the weight of the engine is not significant in this respect, but until a bunch of people provide the numbers, no one will know for sure. I would also like to see the numbers for weight distribution both with & without the driver.

1954 Chevrolet 3600
Well I gotta watch what I post Ernest, cuz I don't have a Cyclekart running now and
as a matter of fact have never been in a "Cyclekart", therefore....I shouldn't be
commenting at all on the subject.
But.....you do bring up a good point there, sweetie face's scale only stays on for a few
seconds after it settles down, so that's the bad side of the lectronic scales. So you
would have to have your second take the readings quick like. I've collected the old
mechanical scales at garage sales and have enough around that I've got it covered.
My only snag is they are all different heights so three of them have to be shimmed
up to match the tallest one of the four.
The subject of weight distribution has been discussed many times here on the
forum. The major lump is the one sitting in the cockpit, although when you concider
the lever advantage of the engine and drive in different locations, it can make quite
a difference.
I've seen a half dozen attempts at front engine Cyclekarts but heard very little about
their handling characteristics. Gokarts got real quick when they introduced the
sidewinders, which says something about moving the engine from the back axle
forward.
Denny G

1954 Chevrolet 3600
Did a little experimenting on my lawn mower, about the same weight as
a CK, or at least close, that is, 132 lbs on a rear wheel.
Once the four wheels are up on the scales, simply raise the wheel to be
measured to calibrate the scale to zero, drop it down again and take your reading.
Can't take a reading sitting in the cockpit??? Even with mechanical scales,
you would still have to have a helper take the readings, so....he can do the
same calibration procedure with the driver in place that you did empty..
One could get by with one scale by making three wood spacer blocks
the same height as the scale and moving around the kart to record the
four corners.
dg. .

Azroddy Avatar
Azroddy Jon R
Mesa, AZ, USA   USA
Dennis,

I don't remember the year I got the scale. It was at Sams Club. Its a Royal DSS pro postal scale. It was like $50.

Just looked on amazon and if you do a search for "400 pound postal scale" there is a few options for around $50

Jon R.
Arizona Cyclekart Club Member

Check out my Cyclekart videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvkqtC-vHIKjoizyjuGnH6g

1954 Chevrolet 3600
Tks, think I'll stick with the $12.88 jobbers Jon. But first on the list is to motorize the
bead roller, build the English wheel and fabricate a weld positioner. When I'm
done with those.....then maybe, just maybe I will find time to finish up the Riley.

dg

ga.bob Bob Taylor
Perry, georgia, USA   USA
I had good luck using a $19.95 game scale from an hunting store. I used four cheap dog leashes around each axle. The scale goes to 1000 lbs, so I was good at 305 lbs. Suspended the whole cart off the ground from a garage rafter.

Bob

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

2011 CycleKart Custom

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links