CycleKart Tech Forum

The Noob

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Kelly Wood Avatar
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA   USA
1927 CycleKart Pre War "Sargette"
Hi, noob here in Salt Lake City Utah.

I've been building custom hot rod go karts (I attached one of my personal favorites here, called the Sarge)

And I am going to build a cyclekart... a bigger version of my go kart, the Sarge.

I'm an artist and quite creative... and I have most of the parts already do do this... except wheels & the frame rails.

Hope all is well and I hope to find others in my area. The map shows some but you never know who's real.

Thanks for a'lookin!

Kelly Wood

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-02 10:08 PM by Kelly Wood.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
user9686_pic6484_1452912115.jpg    59.2 KB
user9686_pic6484_1452912115.jpg

T Hilde Avatar
T Hilde Todd Hildebrandt
Faribault, MN, USA   USA
2016 CycleKart Stevenson "A-C Special"
Cool! I have a mini bike with that theme.

Attachments:
WP_000357.jpg    70.1 KB
WP_000357.jpg

Kelly Wood Avatar
This is exciting.

A little digging in all my go kart parts have turned up a possible beginning. Drum brake system not seen in the pic, but I have two full sets.

Too bad the steel stores are closed, I'd have the frame rails here already.

Up tomorrow, hit the local motorcycle boneyards. (there's 2 that I know of)

Thanks for looking.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-02 10:08 PM by Kelly Wood.

Attachments:
DSC09442.JPG    51.4 KB
DSC09442.JPG

Kelly Wood Avatar
In reply to # 17627 by T Hilde Cool! I have a mini bike with that theme.

Thanks! Nice ride there. Looks fun.

Kelly Wood Avatar
Update:

I'm not sure if I should use my journal or not.

Changing direction here, I've decided to go with a traditional deusenberg approach... such as seen here.

Made a trip today to what's known as the "boneyard" in these parts. In Salt Lake city, this is the place for motorcycle parts.

On the parts list today, Trail 90 wheels.

... and they have about 20.

Returned home to clean em up and they're not all that rusty, pretty decent really.

I'd imagine the hardest part of this chapter is getting those bearings out, but after a bit, they came out.

In short order, a shim was needed for the fronts to make bearings fit right, and that's done.

So... bring on Tuesday when the steel store opens... Need frame rails.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments:
1.jpg    42.9 KB
1.jpg

2.jpg    92.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
3.JPG    52.2 KB
4.JPG    37.5 KB
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
Has anyone thought about using the Honda drum brakes as a kart brake?

Kelly Wood Avatar
It'd probably work, using the originals but then again, you'd have to mount them differently... and have a way of holding the hub in place. That'd make a wide frame or something, probably adding weight. I'm not sure. I'm doing drum brakes on mine.

Continuing on,

Update: Dug through my old stack of kart parts because I knew I'd saved something... long ago.

Sure enough, there it was.

My steering wheel. Score. Good boy for holding onto that.

Attachments:
DSC09449.JPG    30.8 KB
DSC09449.JPG

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, Arizona, USA   USA
1932 Morgan 3 Wheeler "BME Special"
You have a great pile of parts going!

Nice way to find parts as well. I'd love to have a motorcycle boneyard around here

Bow

Cut it with and Axe, Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match

Kelly Wood Avatar
Thank you sir,

I AM doing this. I'm a tad lost though on one thing: How most folks attach the rear wheels to the hubs. I'm sure it's not rocket science, or I just haven't found exactly what most people do.

I'm guessing that 2 front wheels and 2 rears are typically used and reinventing the wheel surely isn't necessary here.

Any input is helpful.

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, Arizona, USA   USA
1932 Morgan 3 Wheeler "BME Special"
Hub with 4 holes, 4 bolts through the hub, center hub of the wheel, and plate on the outside.

If you poke around on the forum, you will see plenty for examples.

I'm not sure which axle hubs most builders use, I got mine from Vintage Kart Co.

Bow

Cut it with and Axe, Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
In reply to # 17710 by Kelly Wood Thank you sir,

I AM doing this. I'm a tad lost though on one thing: How most folks attach the rear wheels to the hubs. I'm sure it's not rocket science, or I just haven't found exactly what most people do.

I'm guessing that 2 front wheels and 2 rears are typically used and reinventing the wheel surely isn't necessary here.

Any input is helpful.

Kelly, read through this thread. http://www.cyclekartclub.com/phorum/read.php?2,431

Kelly Wood Avatar
In reply to # 17715 by carChips
In reply to # 17710 by Kelly Wood Thank you sir,

Any input is helpful.

Kelly, read through this thread. http://www.cyclekartclub.com/phorum/read.php?2,431

Gotcha. Thank you.

NateKartiste Nate Sawyer
Port Orchard, USA   USA
1903 CycleKart French "Mors Dauphin"
1926 CycleKart Racing "L'etranger"
The Gittreville build series is also good inspiration. They have an entry for each major part of the kart, including the rear hubs assembly.
If you poke around the blog archive you can find the rest of them. If you haven't looked through the site it has tons of pics of the G'Ville karts and events.
Awesome inspiration vehicle! How do you plan on building the frame?

Kelly Wood Avatar
Thanks a ton, I've seen so much and have been looking all over the place. This looks like just plain fun.

For the frame, well... I think we'll just start off with the 1"x3" 1/16 thick steel beams, make a a rectangle that I can fit between, and go from there.

Rear axle will be above the frame rails, engine will be a mid mount and below the frame rails by a few inches, and the front axle will be hanging out on quarter elipticals up front.

Something like that anyway.

Personally, if I thought I could get away with a larger version of my military go kart, I'd do it but somewhere I read that these kind of have to be based on a racer of sorts... and I know of no military jeep racecar from the 40s... or earlier. I love the early 1900's racers. Unless I'm wrong.

I want to come compete and do a spec ride, but I'm not sure of the actual rules when it comes to design. In some of the pics from Tieton, (and they're raging cool) I saw what looks like a jet or a plane... and that surely wasn't a car. LOL!

Can anyone definitively light my way? Can I do a military cyclekart and be allowed to compete?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-04 11:37 AM by Kelly Wood.

Pierro Taruffi Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffs, UK   GBR
1923 CycleKart Vintage "Voisin Laboratoire"
Hi Kelly, you can do anything you want. Just if you want to take part with others then you "buy in" to their guidelines/rules. The "jet plane" you mention was probably Dennis Thomas' superbly finished Monocar inspired CK. It has been suggested that you look at Gittreville site. Read through, there is a heap from guys who have built these things for a good number of years. In the Blog you will find the "Builders Guidelines" that's their rules such as they are.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1921 CycleKart German

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links