The Noob

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Kelly Wood Avatar
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA   USA
1927 CycleKart Pre War "Sargette"
Thanks a lot. Much appreciated.

As I'd mentioned a bit back, I am building one that's more traditional and expected. I tend to get a tad artistic with some projects of mine when it involves the act of scavenging in any form.

The other one I'm building is for my wife and will have a finger throttle and brake pedal on the right side. Reason: Because she's in a wheelchair & only has a right foot. Stay tuned on that. The rest of the canoe I killed will be integrated into her ride.

So, a little breakdown of what I've done so far and what parts came from where. (this is about as white-trash/junkyard wars as you get)
1. Body consists of a canoe and a gas can. The top front riveted stainless piece is the back panel of a broken water cooler.
2. The ammo box, military 7.62 rounds.
3. Gauge on the ammo box is vintage, non functional, there for looks. Came from a boat gas tank.
4. Side trim, from a 1965 Glasspar super g ski boat.
5. Misc vents seen on the body came from a dead space heater my wife used to have under her desk.
6. Mock machine gun, Pvc pipe.
7. front axle, originally from a bug brand fun kart from the 70's combined with other misc pieces.
8. Front suspension, 1/4 eliptic setup created from a trashed golf cart.
9. front headlight/hole area: a 1957 chevy truck headlight ring. Not sure what to put there yet... perhaps we'll just call it air conditioning.
10. Engine: Honda GX200. Governer removed, straight pipe... stock otherwise.
11. Tail light: A modified air cleaner housing from a military generator then cut out with a dremel bit.
12. Side gunners handle: control handle from a 1957 Mercury outboard motor controls.
13. Right side upper tank (reserve tank) vintage go kart, about 1960's. There is an internal tank under the hood. Entire system is gravity fed.
14. Left side upper gauge, a vintage bicycle headlight, gutted & spun around.
15. Tail light ID plate, generic name plate I had created long ago. Laser etched, hand stamped... then dented & hit with a hammer for looks.
16. Left side upright tank, a water bottle I found at a 2nd hand store. Gives it a weird, clunky look on that side.
17. Left side air cleaner thingy: air filter cover from a 1970's briggs updraft carb, 5HP.
18. Left side exhaust pipe: Consists of a air filter cup for a GX200 and a piece of exhaust pipe from a chevy suburban.
19. Wheels, found em in a place called "The boneyard", 20 bucks each. (I'm goin back to get more, there's probably 50 of these wheels in the place)
20. Rear drive setup, common tav 30 unit, cut in places to fit mounted location. Uses #35 kart racing chain & gears. Drive gear to axle gear clearance 1.5" Side to side sprocket carrier clearance <5MM. Going with spec. 1 wheel drive, 1 wheel braking system. (not trying to win races here... remember?)
21. Proposed braking system: Brembo disc unit although a secondary system will be mounted and attached to the gunners handle as an emergency system.
22. Side round number plates, aluminum & hand cut. Front plate, hand cut from an aluminum floor plate of a wrecked race kart.
23. Stenciling: Printed them on paper & cut out by hand. Font used: Phantom Stencil.
24. Right side bag, actual military bag that contained truck tire changing gear.
25. Brake pedal, vintage kart pedal with square rubber pad intact.
26. Air filter, from kart racing days. Reusable & washable filter. Make: AEM. Intake tubes: Rubber plumbing elbows.
27. Bearing carriers, vintage fafnir.
28. Exhaust system on engine: Custom made by me. Wrapped in fiberglass. It has two exhaust pipes, one straight, one with a muffler for those that don't like noise.
29. The numbers on the side are the numbers used on my truck in the Army, Iraq war, 1991.
30. The front suspension, upper tie rods allow changing the caster. Future additions will allow for camber adjustments. For now, there is no pos/neg camber.

Items not seen yet:
1. Actual USO military issue flashlight
2. gauges mounted on chris-craft (boat) hardware

Builders note: This cycle kart was built using a method not seen much these days... and that's sad to me. Why? because everywhere I look, especially when I bring up this hobby to anyone... the first thing that comes out is: "I'll buy a kit." Buncha softies.

I measured one thing... the frame. After that, I'm basically winging it and eyeballing everything. Like an old racer, there are a lot of things that are not perfect... some nuts & bolts don't match, there's dents... and dents = character in my book.

How preechy huh? I'm just proud of my work, really.

What really gives it that gritty look is the way I've created it. I painted things as I went, put them in place... and continue working around them... or through them.

If they get dinged or scratched, all the better.

Besides what fun would it be to drive if it's so pretty you don't want to use it?

Onward.

Thanks for looking.

The beginning of my wife's will commence this weekend where we'll take on a more generic and expected look.... maybe.

Dumb question: These honda rims... who's got a fast way of removing those bearings from a junkyard set??? I do not look forward to doing it again.

From a carport in Utah... off the soap box pal.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-14 01:04 PM by Kelly Wood.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Torro123 Avatar
Torro123 René Wesselius
Amsterdam, NH, Netherlands   NLD
For removing bearings just use a old cooking plate,heating the hub and bearings will fall out easy

Attachments:
PICT0010.JPG    55.3 KB
PICT0010.JPG

Kelly Wood Avatar
In reply to # 23769 by Torro123 For removing bearings just use a old cooking plate,heating the hub and bearings will fall out easy

Thank you. I will try this.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
You can also use a rod and tap them out from the opposite side, just work around in a circle as you tap so they don't bind.

Kelly Wood Avatar
Update:

Moving forward. (sorry for the edits, I should really stop thinking.)

With a weekend ahead of me, I figured I better get down to business here...

so... Body is in one removable piece now... so...

Yea, way to go Kelly. You forgot the important stuff... under here. See? That's what you get for thinking dorkus.

Get on it man! (evidently I'm talking to myself here)

Up this weekend, tack weld the frame braces, build the rear motor mount, fab up some steering & inner framework suitable for this... then figure out the body/floor relationship.

The plan here is to build the upper steering carrier which the upper body attaches to, perhaps a front framework too.. then the floor (seat, pedals & such) as one piece that attaches from the bottom to aluminum angle pieces (those L shaped things) which are part of the body when mounted... yea, I'll show you when I get it done... so I can pop the entire floor out the bottom if I need to? (I can't imagine why in all reality though...)

That'll be fun huh?

This is a riot. Really.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-14 09:50 PM by Kelly Wood.

Attachments:
20170414_181539.jpg    49 KB
20170414_181539.jpg

Tom Knight Avatar
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
1911 CycleKart Racing "Yellow Peril"
Looks good G.i. say how fast does that table go anyway ? grinning smiley

Kelly Wood Avatar
That's hilarious. A powered makeshift kart stand... powered. (assuming that's what you meant.. I get stuff wrong all the time)

Probably 60+ if geared right. Drop a brick on the throttle splash that on youtube.

If I cared that much... and I don't. LOL!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-14 10:26 PM by Kelly Wood.

Kelly Wood Avatar
Update: A day out with the wife & doing normal stuff ended with a trip to the boneyard to find another set of wheels. Lucky me, I found probably 10 front wheels... and two rears. So, we have an extra set.

Back at home it was the challenge of making the motor mount & such for the back end.

My original plan was to make a sort of "cassette" type of thing that held the motor, rear axle, brakes... the business end of things.

And I did just that. If one remembers one kart stand seen previously... it was made of... well, some square tubing.

Off with your head I say.

The end result was the beginning of the motor mount for ole Sargette. Keep in mind, this is still just the beginnings of what it will be, and that back end is a tad flimsy, but we'll take care of that soon enough.

Overall, a good day.

Attachments:
1.jpg    59.9 KB
1.jpg

2.jpg    41.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
3.jpg    31.3 KB
4.jpg    44 KB
Kelly Wood Avatar
two other pics.

From a carport in Utah.

Until next time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-15 10:10 PM by Kelly Wood.

Attachments:
5.jpg    38.2 KB
5.jpg

6.jpg    50.6 KB
Kelly Wood Avatar
Update:

Bunch of misc things today. I toyed with the idea of doing a chain tensioner but decided to wait on that. All the stuff is fine for now.

Coffee in hand this morning sparked an idea. It needs one of those nifty windshields and I'm itching to do something here.

Some more pics below tell more of the story... from a carport... somewhere in Utard.

Yep.

Thanks for a'lookin.

Attachments:
1.jpg    45.7 KB
1.jpg

1a.jpg    37.6 KB
2.jpg    45.8 KB
2a.jpg    53.4 KB
Kelly Wood Avatar
More pics.

Attachments:
3.jpg    49.1 KB
3.jpg

3a.jpg    48.7 KB
4.jpg    39.2 KB
5.jpg    61.4 KB
Kelly Wood Avatar
last pic

(well, not test firing, the engine runs. The test is to see if this mess of crap plays well with each other & behaves)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-16 07:52 PM by Kelly Wood.

Attachments:
6.jpg    51.5 KB
6.jpg

tiopancho Avatar
tiopancho Silver Member David Dahl
Swansea Point, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
What a great fun build, I'm enjoying this a lot.

Kelly Wood Avatar
Update:

A lot of misc stuff today, moving this & that around, etc. I think I have this one looking the way I want.

Time for some steering, then a floor.

Once the mock up is done, we'll tear it all apart & weld all the things up right. (Everything is just tacked in place)

Thanks for lookin.

Attachments:
01.jpg    61.4 KB
01.jpg

02.jpg    56.5 KB
03.jpg    70.1 KB
04.jpg    62.3 KB
Kelly Wood Avatar
Update:

Lots of little things in place, all tacked together. Motor is a runner, rear end & drive systems functional. For the first run, the engine I'll use is one I've had for some time... my trusty Greyhound 6.5 (pre-Predator days) from Harbor Freight. These engines were super and had decent springs on the valves. Governer removal was all I did to it and it held its own against the GX's at the track... so I kept it around. Guess it's landed here. It'll work.

Floor is in, now for a few other things.

Should be a "driver" within a month or so.

I pitty the poor soul that has to take this beast apart. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-01 01:46 PM by Kelly Wood.

Attachments:
20170731_184104.jpg    57.1 KB
20170731_184104.jpg

20170731_184030.jpg    45.5 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1926 CycleKart Vintage

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links