CycleKart Tech Forum

Canadian CycleKart Event

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Well here we go!
Having only been aware of CycleKarts for the past 8 months, I have to confess that I am almost obsessed!
And as I have been to Tieton on a recon mission, driven several Karts, met some new friends, and purchased some parts....I am almost ready to comit to my build. Still have to wait for a few more chores to get cleared off of my plate and the camping season to end.
But.....this brings me to the reason for this new topic.
As an "Organizer" kind of guy, I could think of nothing else on the way back from Tieton, but to rally the troops here in Canada and start an event that would give those of us in the PNW a chance to use our Karts more often.
So.....at this point I would like to start some dialog on what is required to host an event similar to the successful Tieton Grand Prix?
Who should I talk to?
How much insurance is required?
Should we organize a Canadian or B.C. Chapter of some sort?
Is anyone else interested from here on the Forum?
Would other groups, Chapters, Clubs, support us ....or is it already being done?
Who's rules should we model our event after?
How else can we spread the word?
I know my credibility would be higher if I already had a finished Kart or had been competing for a while..... but my intentions are sincere!
And baring no unforeseen changes in life, I will have at least one Kart ready for 2017.
Plans are to build at least two!
Looking forward to any feedback you may be willing to offer on this topic.
Good Roads
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TiminMb Tim M
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada   CAN
I wish I lived closer to you. I'm right in the center of the country. A little too far to meet up for a race or event. I'm gathering parts and plan to start my build this fall. What I'll do with my creation, lacking others to race, I have no idea, but I plan to enjoy the build. I wish you luck and finding others like minded in your vicinity.

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
Well Brian, we're getting closer. That's a thousand miles closer to Sandwich, IL USA than Tieton is.
I, might even think about taking a long weekend next Summer if I get the kart together in time and
if you don't limit the field to 24 cars. I'd tell them all to come and qualify them if you had to many.
dg

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rhauck Avatar
rhauck Randy Hauck
Yakima, Washington, USA   USA
1934 CycleKart German "Silberpfeil"
I would be willing to help set up an event, BC is not that far away for me and would love to participate and help out. I don't know much about insurance laws, etc. for Canada but could help more with the on the ground things.

Pierro Taruffi Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffs, UK   GBR
1923 CycleKart Vintage "Voisin Laboratoire"
Brian, your credibility is pretty high as far as I can see. At least you have been and driven, so you have now seen what happens in Tieton, so you have the background to either try copying, or change things which you feel could be done differently, they may be better, maybe not as good, but change is good, in my opinion. I do know that after 2015 I would have made changes, Mike tells me some of those things where we spotted minor hiccups had been addressed.
Denny, I don't really think folks would travel long distances to an event where they may be sent home without much running (if any). I guess that's why I don't like the knock out format which instantly eliminates 50% of the field for drag races, and of course CKs aren't really too much about racing. I am a bit curious which route you would take from Sandwich to BC, partly as I will be doing something of a road trip next year, and partly because I Google mapped the trip from Sandwich to BC and also to Tieton. I got just under 2000 to Tieton from Sandwich and just over 3500 to Vancouver.

Smoky Avatar
Smoky Silver Member Don Schmok
Salmon Arm, BC, Canada   CAN
I'm in! I've also started to assemble parts, and I'm ready to start construction. My CK will be built this winter.

I would follow the Teiton rules, no need to re-invent anything here, and it opens up many more entries for events in Canada. I'm only six hours to TEiton.

If I can attach a photo, it will show my parts, less the wood.

My inspiration is a Riley 9 Brooklands.

Let the fun begin....

1929 Riley Bitsa

Attachments:
image.jpeg    59.6 KB
image.jpeg

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
Oops, again! Ya see, I just have time to check in on the fly between chores and I
took a quick look at Tim's home town, Winnipeg, Manitoba and had that on my mind.
Sorry Brian, I taint gonna make it to your gig next year. Anyway, that should make a
few people happy.
Guess I'll still have to just stay home and beat around the back forty by myself.
dg

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Hi Denny and Rhys
Yes, I live 320 miles from Tieton in the Beautiful Okanagan Valley.
Rhys if you flew into either Vancouver or Seattle it would be close to the same distance to come to an event here as it would be to go to Tieton.
And Denny same for you. But yes, it is along drive to Illinois (did it in 2012) across a lot of nothing in the middle.
Good Roads
Brian

rhauck Avatar
rhauck Randy Hauck
I can second that the Okanagan area is very beautiful and having some time in the cycklekart there would be an awesome thing. Lots of wineries, farms, large beautiful lakes. Great place. We need to put something together there.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Hi Randy
I had every intention of giving you a call last we to se if we could hook up while I was at the Vintiques event in Yakima.
Time just went by too fast.
But, I will be back in Yakima on Aug. 20th and again on Sept 17th.......would love to meet you and see your Kart.
Good Roads
Brian

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Hi Don
Your pile looks similar to mine!
Looking forward to meeting you soon.
Good Roads
Brian

rhauck Avatar
rhauck Randy Hauck
Yes that would be great, I had planned to go to the vintiques, don't have a car to show there, but love the pre 1945 cars/trucks. I took the cyclekart for a spin on a gravel road instead. It was the first run on gravel. Just makes me want to drive in some kind of event even more. Like I said I would help organizing and working an event if we could do that up there.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Hi Randy
I will try to hook up with you next weekend.
I have Kart Parts ordered at Tacoma Screw to ick up and will be making a quick run to Tieton to pick up the posters I missed at this years event.
What part of Yakima are you jn?
Brian

rhauck Avatar
rhauck Randy Hauck
I am in Terrace Heights, its about 10 minutes from Tacoma Screw, out east past Walmart.

Pierro Taruffi Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffs, UK   GBR
1923 CycleKart Vintage "Voisin Laboratoire"
I spent a little time in the Okanagan when I brought a hockey team up from NZ for a tournament at Kelowna, the year after the big fires. It's a really nice spot. Son was asked to stay on and work towards the Rockets

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1970 CycleKart Race Car

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links