My 1924 Miller 122 Build has started.

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Oh, I didn't mean to diminish the importance of the exit opening. If anything, it must be larger than the intake opening to work properly. But with some degree of forced air, you can exit heat out the bottom, which you cannot do as effectivly without intake pressure.
I have only a close fitting carb opening and a smallish hole for my exhaust, topside. Underway, my car runs quite cool, the seatback never preceptively warm.
However, I know better than to sit idleing very long.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
In reply to # 27244 by Rhysn
In reply to # 27242 by CmdBentaxle Brian, find a way to cheat an intake/exit if you can. It takes a lot of ugly holes to vent just static hot air out the top. Fresh air in will force the hot out.
I'm trying to imagine exactly how headlight housings will form the basis of a Miller tail.
I guess I too, must call for pictures.

As long as there is a way for the EXPANDED HOT AIR to get out. Most of the cars get a hot seat back which disproves the simplicity of the fresh air forcing the hot air out. Plan on getting it out.

=====================================
Hello, there!
Cyclekartistes would know that better for Cyclekarts, but my experience with old, simple (primitive?) automobiles in not-so-good condition - is the same as Rhys mentioned here! When it is well designed and good working system of pushing of hot air out - it would pull-in fresh air at some other openings. The opposite could be also good, but it is harder to work. The experience was with smaller cars, air-cooled or water-cooled, with front or rear engine position. The worse situations were when hot-air circulating too long time inside an already hot chamber where engine and part of exhaust are. Good air-stream of outside air over slots where hot-air has an exit - is necessary, even if there is some kind of a turbine, fan or similar system for pushing hot-air out.
Ciao,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
An engine cover is only for concours.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CmdBentaxle Avatar
Victor!

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Vic may have nailed it Dave!
Why can't we have the "Best of Both Worlds"?
Two Hoods!
One open to the top without "Not being there!" for racing or running, and the other as the Replicated Original would have had while CK is on static display?????
Brian

CmdBentaxle Avatar
I don't know. I always hated the practice of having static display propellers for judging vs running props for
flying in R/C scale meets. It just sticks in my craw.
The Miller has a good tail for managing the air around an engine, I think. How do you plan to handle the exhaust
pipe?

Woodysrods Brian Woods
It is unfortunate about the angle that the pipe exits our motors. So I will do my best to have get out of the tail itself.
It would be great if it could just exit directly to the sky from its' own direct angle.
But to keep the tail looking "Miller", I plan to have it come around to vertical, then back to horizontal exiting under the tail thru the muffler to the rear.
That that make any sense ? Or is as clear as mud (much like my 36 Buick Headlights.
Brian

CmdBentaxle Avatar
I've thought about re-routing mine a similar way, just to eliminate the pipe sticking out like it does.
I've been told that the optimum pipe length for these is around 22 inches anyway.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
I should end up with about that!

Attachments:
PA241395.JPG    29.2 KB
PA241395.JPG

PA241396.JPG    30.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Rhysn Rhys N
New Zealand   NZL
With the Voisin, I had what I thought was quite a neat way for the exhaust to get out. No photos of course, there wasn't any spare time, but it went from the motor to a fabricated "box" on the underside of the top of the tail, and passed through that to the outside..The theory was that it would drag air out of the inside with venturi effect.
The top of the body had a fairly large opening for exit air. After the return to town from the Gordon Bennett the sat back was noticeably, uncomfortably warm. As those who saw the car know there is a lot of open space around the wheel arches (no closed off spaces). So, if I was warm from the "cooling" of the engine, I could guess the carb wasn't getting cold air either? The ERA had the seat back warm too. As I haven't yet had a car with seat cushions at all maybe I feel things which are disguised in other cars?

Victor, no top cover now means (well 2017) means you don't run Tieton. That's unless your inspiration car didn't have one. eg Sascha, Peugeot et al.

You could I suppose make your "scaling " distorted and run huge cooling intakes like Gypsy smiling smiley

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Hi Rhys (or should I say Good Morning?)
I plan to have a 1/2" to 1" thick cover for my Aluminum seat back, plus a bulkhead between the cockpit and engine compartment.
And yes, I will have a hood top for over the motor in compliance with the rules at Tieton.
But, this new thought of having two hoods may have merit.
Randy had a very well vented hood on his Mercedes this past year, and Dennis and I discussed the size of the opening he has directly above his motor.
Heat rises, and there is a lot of sitting around idling time at Tieton (and probably other events) no venturi effect while not moving.
It is definitely something we should all be taking into consideration while building.
Brian

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Hi Dave
I just went out to the shop and took a picture of my 36 Buick Headlights so that you can fit the puzzle picture into the last photos posted.
Brian

Attachments:
PB101479.JPG    32.4 KB
PB101479.JPG

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Once again, here is the tail look I would love to achieve.
Woody

Attachments:
7-12-2012-Comprehensive-survey-014-900x600.jpg    54 KB
7-12-2012-Comprehensive-survey-014-900x600.jpg

Rhysn Rhys N
New Zealand   NZL
Yes it is morning Woody. I am not too bothered about the comfort, or otherwise of the seat back, it just shows that there is significant heat in there. The opening in the top was about 18" square (folded and wired edge with round corners) and that was NOT enough to get rid of the heat. Yes, hot air rises, my point about coming back from the GB was that it wasn't when sitting round idling, it was while driving relatively quickly.
I had no real way to get air in, to "force" hot air out. My slightly off beat comment about the Gypsy showed that the boys with the car had given thought to how to ram as much cold in as possible, and that is worth a think. Get colder in and make a way for hot to get out. Otherwise you might need to mount the tail very strongly.

RROLDSX Randy R
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
Not trying to give any secrets away here but Dave(? kart shown) has a good idea of using computer fans (high speed,low draw) and a small battery to help cool his engine. He had a couple of more nifty tricks to do with engine oil cooling too!

Randy R

Attachments:
9BF1BC4B-C038-4212-8800-CD0B00762809.jpg    26.4 KB
9BF1BC4B-C038-4212-8800-CD0B00762809.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1930 CycleKart Great Britain

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links