Starting two builds...lots of questions

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SteveNeill Avatar
SteveNeill Steve Neill
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
1985 Nissan 300ZX "Z"
I'm in the process of inquiring parts for two builds. My good friend Chris and I are both going to build a kart at my studio in Ventura. This will be our first time to build these karts.

I have a lot of building experience of large scale movie models, radio control models and creatures. I'm a maker. I'm not saying this will be easy, I'm not but a challenge and a new learning curve.

I'm planning an Alfa Romeo. I have had many of my questions answered without bothering everyone here by reading the FAQ, building threads, videos and more. Lots of research.

But maybe not quite enough and as I go I will ask questions from the experts here.

Starting with:

1. For the front axles or spindles from Azusa, I know I need 3/4-16 but what length. They list three lengths. With the 17 inch wheels. The three lengths they list are:

3.75"
4.50"
6.00"

2. On the brakes Azusa list the disc brakes at:

6"
8"
10"

I'm hunting down locally the 1x3 inch steel and the 1 5/8" steel tiding for the front axle. I'm also getting a hydraulic pipe bender.

Welding I have covered. Next door a good friend has a custom car shop and he's offered to weld everything. Got lucky there.

3. What rear axle bearings from Azusa do you recommend. They had several.

That's it for starters and I do appreciate your help. I want to order as many parts as I can tomorrow.

BTW I haven't heard back from Vintage Karts, either by phone or email. I emailed them and called them but no luck. We are trying to find the Honda 90 wheels or something similar here but have had no luck so far anywhere in Ventura. Turns out the local farmers buy them up for field karts.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Frazetti Avatar
Frazetti Silver Member Kurt Seedhouse
Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
On the Brakes several people who have used the 6 Inch brake wish they had gone larger in retrospect. It is a bit of a slow stop with the 6 inch.

Don't give up on vintage carts much simpler to assemble and they seem to run a little better.

Hubs at least 4.5" long mine are 4.5 with nut on outside.

Rear Axle Bearings fit 1 inch by 36 inch axle but the mount depends on your frame design. There are Axle bearing sets sold by Azusa with weld on flanges. Flanges most often get used as patterns to drill mounting holes directly in the 1" x 3" rails. If you find a bearing mounting that will fit inside the 3" width of the rail you are ahead of the game. Many flange bearings are bigger than the 3" rail. My bearing mounts went through 3 iterations before one worked the way I needed.

Just some thoughts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-01 10:27 PM by Frazetti.

SteveNeill Avatar
SteveNeill Steve Neill
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
1985 Nissan 300ZX "Z"
Kurt thanks so much!

Another question now that I have located a local steel supplier. For one car how many feet of 1x3 steel should I buy to have enough for cross bracing and motor mounting? Extra just in case.

http://azusaparts.com/Category.aspx?catID=4 And from this section what hubs should I order.
Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-01 10:54 PM by SteveNeill.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Antioch Bob M
Langley, BC, Canada   CAN
1929 CycleKart French "LR2 Special"
Steve, good luck to both you & Chris....they are fun to build.

Parts can be differnt as the karts do get built differently. I would recommend the CK parts thread.....covers most things (if you haven't seem it). Also if you haven't already.......look up Dennis Thomas's CK build threads. Lots of good info there

http://www.cyclekartclub.com/phorum/read.php?2,710

Bob

Rosengart LR2 special

http://rosengart.rzaplaser.com/rosengart-lr2-build/

SteveNeill Avatar
SteveNeill Steve Neill
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
1985 Nissan 300ZX "Z"
Bob,

Thanks so much. That's very helpful.

For the converter I found this on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/TORQUE-CONVERTER-CLUTCH-COMET-218353A/dp/B00FQQ2CXG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486015716&sr=8-2&keywords=comet+tav-30+torque+converter

I'm assuming (although I never should) this will work on the Honda sx200 ?

Tanks!

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Hi Steve
You want 1"x 3" 0.63 wall......... Not .125 wall it is much heavier!
Buy as a 20' length and have it cut into 2 10' lights exactly. This will give you enough for both rails and cross members required.
Jack has the 2 hole style bearing for your rear axle @ $6.00 or $9.00 ea.???? They bolt on 3"rails (3 hole sale do not)
Wheels, as I said before you will spend your wheel budget intake alone, just chasing used wheels.
Buy NEW! SAVE MONEY!
A number of the Gokart Azus spindles failed at Tieton this year????
Glad to hear you are gung ho and have a buddy to build with.
More Fun that way!
Good Roads
Brian

Antioch Bob M
Langley, BC, Canada   CAN
1929 CycleKart French "LR2 Special"
Steve

Yes that cvt will probably work. However you should know that the 90-100$ units are made in China....they are advertised mostly as a comet replacement.... (seldom as a real Comet) yes they work, however there are those who say when revved above 3000-3500 rpm they can have parts break apart. So *IF* you plan & putting stage 1 upgrades on your engine it may not be the best match.....(my opinion). But backed up by others.

If you aren't racing your karts or upgrading the engine it shouldn't be a problem....just be aware of it. The real comets typically sell in the $200-225 range.

I would encourage you guys to take a few days & look at things & view some of the thomas build videos.... give you a better idea if what you need...otherwise you may end up buying parts over again... (I've done that)

Also I second about trying to get a hold of vintage kart again....there wheels are nice & clean & worth it.... they also sell bearings that match there wheels.. hope that helps.

Bob

Rosengart LR2 special

http://rosengart.rzaplaser.com/rosengart-lr2-build/

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Oh and front axle.
Buy 1 5/8" chrome moly it is strong and lighter
I bought .063 wall (could be too light if you have a lot of drop required in you axle design??
I believe .080 or .095 are the next steps up. in chrome moly?
Brian

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
The hub you're looking for is #2282 stepped.

In reply to # 21903 by SteveNeill Kurt thanks so much!

Another question now that I have located a local steel supplier. For one car how many feet of 1x3 steel should I buy to have enough for cross bracing and motor mounting? Extra just in case.

http://azusaparts.com/Category.aspx?catID=4 And from this section what hubs should I order.
Thanks

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
1933 MG Magnette
I would recommend you lay out your rear axle in relation to the frame and buy the appropriate bearing carrier. Calculate the amount of drop in the frame and so on, ideally you want 4-5 inches of clearance between bottom of cart and ground.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Good Morning Steve
I agree with Bob.
Be careful before you jump in with both feet on buying something that might sound cheap (usually is! quality wise!)
or you will as he said be buying things twice.
Definitely buy the USA Made Genuine Comet TAV 2V, they are on eBay for $219.00 USD (wish they were that cheap here in Canada).
Do your homework.
Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-02 11:28 AM by Woodysrods.

SteveNeill Avatar
SteveNeill Steve Neill
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
1985 Nissan 300ZX "Z"
Thank you gentlemen. I am doing my home work and you are part of it. Very helpful.

I wondered about the converters being so cheap. That's why I asked.

Now if you want to build a big Star Ship model or a creature, or turn someone in to a werewolf I can help you there. winking smiley

But with this hobby I am a new guy and I'm being very careful. Asking questions, not being afraid to because that's how you learn.

Tanks a whole bunch!

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
1933 MG Magnette
You know Steve, some guys ask questions that they know they're not going to like the answer to, but instead of working through the issue and reaching good results they ask anyway and get all hurt. There may not be any data to support the answer or the answer is just so common sense that no one answers.

I like to give helpful answers and ones I know will have positive results, but the answer might be "No, don't do that".

Oh ya, get a 24' piece of 1X3, you may run out if your braces don't work out. The extra is great for making brackets and stuff like that.

SteveNeill Avatar
SteveNeill Steve Neill
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
1985 Nissan 300ZX "Z"
Thanks you and I do like your Spitfire. I had a 69 and loved it. In fact I've had them all from TR-3 to MGA to MGB and more. Horrible cars for breaking down but it never stopped me driving them!

Now I have a fully restored 85 300zx I've had for years but last year had her rebuilt. That one has never broken down so I thought she deserved it.

But really thanks for your insight and suggestions- answers. I can do this! winking smiley

Steve

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
1933 MG Magnette
I love that era of Zee, is yours a turbo?

My spitty came to me in a box, I finished taking the few remaining pieces off and then redid every nut and bolt.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1903 CycleKart French

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links