CycleKart Tech Forum

Starting two builds...lots of questions

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SteveNeill Avatar
SteveNeill Steve Neill
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
1985 Nissan 300ZX "Z"
Steve just emailed you back! Thanks so much for you thoughtful help! Everything you need to know, where to get it, and what it costs with a some total to boot.

All the best!

steve

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
SteveNeill Avatar
SteveNeill Steve Neill
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
1985 Nissan 300ZX "Z"
Here is the car Chris wants to build. He will have to fudge the rear wheel base a bit. We'll have to be creative! winking smiley

Attachments:
IMG_0996 (1).JPG    64.2 KB
IMG_0996 (1).JPG

gearguy Charles Schultz
Oil City, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
Plenty of track width there for the clone motor drive train. Another forum member has the same inspiration car and I looked at it as a companion for my Tank. IMHO the narrow rear track is what "makes" this car so memorable. The full size replica has many photos on the web.

SteveNeill Avatar
SteveNeill Steve Neill
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
1985 Nissan 300ZX "Z"
There's actually a full sized car here in Ventura at a museum Chris tells me we can use for reference.

Steve

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
You can post it here and share with everyone. http://www.cyclekartclub.com/phorum/read.php?2,22

In reply to # 22125 by SteveV Steve,
Am glad you are building. I sent you an email a bit ago with a spreadsheet of all the parts I used on my last build, I hope the list is helpful to you.

If anyone else wants the list, I am happy to share it.

Regards,
Steve
Arizona CycleKart Club

Pierro Taruffi Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffs, UK   GBR
1923 CycleKart Vintage "Voisin Laboratoire"
In reply to # 22127 by SteveNeill Here is the car Chris wants to build. He will have to fudge the rear wheel base a bit. We'll have to be creative! winking smiley

That is what I should have at Tieton, steel space frame with stressed skin alloy cladding.

SteveNeill Avatar
SteveNeill Steve Neill
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
1985 Nissan 300ZX "Z"
Update. We just got two predator engines that Chris bought. We ordered a bunch of stuff from Jack which is inbound. Complete front ends, leaf springs and other stuff.

March we start building the frames. Chris has acquired a bunch of big cardboard from the body mock ups - templates.

We haven't fallen off the face of the map, just waiting on parts.

Can't wait to get started.

Steve

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Understood, Steve.
Sometimes there's not much to say until things develop a bit.

SteveNeill Avatar
SteveNeill Steve Neill
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
1985 Nissan 300ZX "Z"
We nearly have all our parts now for both cars. The steel is ordered and comes in tomorrow and we should be able to start cutting steel and welding our frames at long last!

Parts from Vintage Karts are outstanding and so was the Jack!

Pictures soon and video.

http://pierreg.free.fr/carton/projet/voisin/voisin.htm For the doctors car we found his making it very handy for his body. Just blow this up and I have all the templates I need to make his body.

I have decided to make my own design if that's allowed and I'm working on the drawings.

Next up find the parts I don't have and order them.

Attachments:
vlabsht.jpg    12.2 KB
vlabsht.jpg

bim9bill Avatar
bim9bill Bill Debevc
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Can't wait to see your design.

SteveNeill Avatar
SteveNeill Steve Neill
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
1985 Nissan 300ZX "Z"
OK we are starting the frames but before I go too much further I'm a bit confused about the torque converter. I must use a Comet, not a knock off. got that but trying to find the TAV-30 218053A I'm having trouble with. Can someone here direct me to the right source we are standing with credit card in hand.

Also cable and foot pedals for brake and throttle would be helpful.

Also the steering assembly for rack and pinion?

thanks a bunch for the help.

Steve

dBlast Avatar
dBlast Vince De Blasi
Maple, Ontario, Canada   CAN
http://www.mfgsupply.com/gomini/gominiclutch/gominiclutchtorq/gominiclutchtorqtav30/gominiclutchtorqtav30kits/218352a.html

If you are using a Honda GX200 (3/4 bore) and a #35 chain, then this is a Comet TAV 30 (part no. 218352A) from MFG supply. Their shipping is only $6.99 too.

Vince.

SteveNeill Avatar
SteveNeill Steve Neill
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
1985 Nissan 300ZX "Z"
Vince thanks so much for the help. We are using Predator engines. We have two. It was recommended to me to use the TAV2-30 218353A and 10 tooth x 3/4 bore #40 chain. But if this will work on our engines please let me know.

thanks again!

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Hey, Steve.

Personally, I would rather see you go with the 10 tooth/ #40 chain model listed alongside. Stronger chain, and only a 60t on the axle which saves alot of room and gives a 5:1 ratio which works well.
I used Manco brake and throttle cables from BMI.
And for what it's worth. Not all Cvt clones must be created equal. I run the gopowersports.com
version and I have had it apart and back, and run it hard. I have found no deficiencies in it.
For 120 bucks with both 10 and 12 sprockets I would buy one for my next. I wouldn't
mind seeing some actual documented failure of clone units as I have yet to find any,
despite searching. Some guy parroting what he's heard someone else say never goes
very far on me.

Dave

dBlast Avatar
dBlast Vince De Blasi
Maple, Ontario, Canada   CAN
http://www.mfgsupply.com/218353a.html

They also have the version for #40 chain.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1911 CycleKart Racing

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links