CycleKart Tech Forum

Using the Cable operated reverse gearbox

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bluesdocbob Avatar
bluesdocbob Bob Paterson
Darlington, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Hello everyone in my search for the clutch unit for the motor I've come across the gearbox
to allow reversing the Cyclekart if and when needs be required... I'm just wondering if anyone
else has included in their builds.......

Cheers Bob

this photo is unit I have in mind it is designed to work with the recommended motor and clutch unit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-11 01:04 PM by bluesdocbob.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Forward & reverse gearbox.jpg    42.4 KB
Forward & reverse gearbox.jpg

981db672687b2bb8f0618c72a0720883.jpg    29.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Hi Bob,

Curious minds want to know what your working with. If you can please give us the details of what you're thinking and what your looking for, brand,size type etc. Of course we all love pic's.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris. smiling smiley

gearguy Charles Schultz
Oil City, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
I bought one to use in my project. Nice little gearbox with cable control box. Input shaft is sized for the output of a #30 TAV unit but will need a longer belt and some support structure to align it with the clone motor. I designed a square steel bubing version and now have moved on to a plywood version integrated into my plywood monocoque.

At 64 I am not hopping out to turn the kart

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bluesdocbob Avatar
bluesdocbob Bob Paterson
Darlington, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Thank you Harles...
Bob

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "For Sale $4000"
Can the Kart go just as fast in reverse as it does in forward?

gearguy Charles Schultz
Reverse is a slightly lower ratio so it would go a correspondingly lower speed in reverse. My guess is the handly would be very twitchy due to negative caster as well. I'll post a drawing of the unit

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "For Sale $4000"
Thanks Harles. thumbs up

In reply to # 22255 by gearguy Reverse is a slightly lower ratio so it would go a correspondingly lower speed in reverse. My guess is the handly would be very twitchy due to negative caster as well. I'll post a drawing of the unit

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
If your inspiration car has a short tail section you will run into an installation issue with the engine TAV and gearbox.

Attachments:
FRgearbox.jpg    63.1 KB
FRgearbox.jpg

gearguy Charles Schultz
I tucked the FNR box close to the motorplate and took the output chain to a jackshaft. Since I will have suspension, the jackshaft concentric with the pivot point of the wishbones so the chain to the rear diff is not subject to length change when the wheels move up and down. As mentioned earlier, the TAV belt has to be longer than standard but the FNR box does not stick out much further than the clone motor's cylinder.
I will post a drawing tomorrow.

dwminch Avatar
dwminch Don Minch
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA   USA
1948 Other Custom "Tempus"
1970 Other Custom "Temp Name = Troika"
I gotta follow this. This is getting interesting. I had a question too: how much does this thing weigh? Like, ballpark figure if you have it.

gearguy Charles Schultz
Here is my driveline layout. Yes, I know it is an ugly car that is way too long and does not comply with the formula and I am ruining the world with rear suspension and lack of welding. Please stick to the OP scope of work.

I need to buy the #203595 belt [chart at www.gopowersports.com] but everything else worked out with normal CK stuff.

The F-N-R gearbox weighs less than 10 pounds. The input shaft accepts the #30 TAV driver. The output is a 5/8" shaft for the sprocket.
To me it would make more sense to reduce the driver's mass by 10# than to get out and turn the kart around. I'm working on that weight reduction.

BTW, the Arizona Cycle Kart FB page listed actual kart weights recently. My projected 310# is far from the heaviest listed.

Attachments:
DRIVELINE.pdf    85.9 KB

Tom Knight Avatar
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
1911 CycleKart Racing "Yellow Peril"
This is gettin very interesting.....I'd like to build a 2 seater cycle kart to go with my one seater and really want reverse in it, maybe even a lawn tractor hydro trans ?

gearguy Charles Schultz
I looked over the stuff on the lawn tractor boneyard sites before buying the F-N-R box. and were arranged for vertical shaft motors. A snowblower drive unit [typically 6 forwards & 2 reverse] would be lighter and have a horizontal input. Plenty of junk snowblowers around.

My next kart will probably use a Chinese ATV motor/transmission unit. Once you add up the cost of a motor, TAV, & F-N-R box that $550 price point isn't to steep. For that matter buying an un-assembled ATV kit for $800 delivered & reconfiguring it into a cycle kart is interesting. Brake & suspension bits plus lights?

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Charles, just where did you see the "actual" kart weights listed????
I looked thru the whole FB listing and didn't see any mention of kart weights.

Oh, and this discussion prompted me to pick up one of those Comet FNR clones
last night. I'm also gonna try to get a Predator 212 fitted up with a Honda starter kit
when I get the ball rolling this summer.
dg

gearguy Charles Schultz
I copied this from the Arizona Kart Club FB page this morning in anticipation of someone complaining that diffs/brakes/ F-N-R boxes add too much weight.
Weights of each car.
Lowell Roemke
Red alpha 303 pounds
Yellow t-bucket - 288 pounds
Chris
Blue car - 369 pounds
Copper car - 339
Steve Vinson
Red ford - 269 pounds
Steve Jo car - 260 pounds
Dennis mono car - 255
Jon chassis - 236

According to my current calculations the all plywood chassis T32 Tank I am designing will weigh 298 pounds with 45% on the front wheels and 55% on the rear wheels. This includes 5# of bumpers at each end that I can fill with ballast to adjust weight distribution. Based on my previous weight estimations with industrial equipment I expect the finished kart to be that number minus 5% or plus 10%. Not the lightest on the list but far from the heaviest and this for a "full bodied" design od unprecedented overall length.

If one wanted to built a bulletproof racing cycle kart it would not be difficult to construct a lightweight version using aluminum instead of steel and lots of carbon fiber. Denny, you and I know firsthand what happens once guys start to go in that direction with midgets and sprint cars! Cost goes way up and fun goes way down. My Tank is being built to have fun, from its funky appearance through its unusual construction. It will even have a fake styrofoam motor under the bonnet. Along the way I will be learning new skills instead of yelling at kids to stay off my lawn.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1934 CycleKart German

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links