CycleKart Tech Forum

First cyclekart build '20-'30s racer.

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Torro123 Avatar
Torro123 René Wesselius
Amsterdam, NH, Netherlands   NLD
Hello,this is gonna be my first CK build,got hooked by seeing the video's of Dennis and others and ofcourse this beautiful forum.
I want to build a typical racecar of the 20-30's era but not a peticular brand like Bugatti or Mercedes etc.
I just want it to look as it was designed in those years.

The plan:
Transversal front leafspring,Ford model A-ish front axle,front mounted engine,long nose,seat just in front of the rear axle,17"wheels.
No drawings,let it develop while i am building.

Today i started with clearing out the workshop and breaking a previous cart i build into pieces,it was a very basic thing with a 50cc tomos engine i had made for my grandson,it did run very well but my grandson did'nt understand the danger,full throttle was the only thing he did..........after a couple of suicide attemps from him i decided it was enough and pulled the plug.
This cart was since then only taking space,so breake it and recycle it.
As for the CK i am collecting parts,next week the steel will arrive and can i start building.
Picture of the cart breakdown for now.
René

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
PICT0003.JPG    58.1 KB
PICT0003.JPG

PICT0005.JPG    41 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
PICT0004.JPG    53.2 KB
RROLDSX Randy R
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
Sounds like a CK is in the future for the grandson as well. Hopefully this
time a governor may not be needed. Good luck, it looks exciting doesn't it.

I'm building mine for my Grand daughter and I.

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Hello René,
Great go-kart! Maybe you should limit accelerator, as some of my friends did for their kids in seventies, or to de-tune Tomos engine? I couldn't see well, but was there any kind of gear-changing, or it was so-called "automatic": centrifugal clutch and single speed? Engine looks as one of the most powerful!

So, you have experience - full throttle and soon you will have nice CycleKart! (general idea is interesting)

Regards,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Torro123 Avatar
Torro123 René Wesselius
Tomos engine was automatic from a moped,not very powerfull perhaps 2.5 hp.
As a former 50cc racingbike driver these tomos engines are peanuts to me quit worthless and only usefull in a childrens kart,max soeed of the kart was about 30km/h.............but the grandson has the genes from me.........full throttle.......
I was exactly the same,no fear only speed counts,i have been a racing driver since i was 15 years old,used to race my older brother his racing bike illegal under his name and license,you had to be 18 to obtain a racing license in those years,There were 2 racing unions in the Netherlands then,he drove with the royal dutch racing association and i was racing under his name in the dutch racing association,This went on for two years until they discovered there were 2 of us,he won a race in the south of holland and i won a race in the north of holland on his spare bike the same day,no problem you say because it were different clubs.........well,there were reports in the motorcycle magazines about both races and an official of one of the clubs did notice the same rider winning both races,oops we had a problem.........
I was banned but 6 months later i became 18 and get my own license so we could race together,unfortunally 2 months later my brother had a racing crash and died instandly by a broken neck,when i drove by i did see trhe crash happened but did'nt know it was him,the race was'nt stopped and i finished 3th,on the podium i heard about my brother.............
It was a blow but it did'nt stop me racing,2 weeks later i raced again..........
I raced for 35 years until i was 52 and had a big crash,broke my spine,it was fixed with some metal parts screwed to my spine and i wanted to race again after a 2 year recovery,i tried but tucking in on a small racing bike caused too much pain in my back........after 2 years trying i finally stopped racing.
So this is my history,i always have build my own racers and engines,i am a two-stroke adept and i have still several powerfull two-strokes laying around inluding a home build 100cc tandem-twin producing 34 hp,would be a blast to build it in a CK.........
Couple of photo's of the tandemtwin and one of my 50cc racers.
René
But i will bite the bullit and use a four-stroke as a CK is not about speed but only fun.

Attachments:
PICT0001.JPG    36.2 KB
PICT0001.JPG

PICT0004 (2).JPG    53.4 KB
PICT0007 (1).JPG    49.9 KB
Foto-EXB3WJ3H.jpg    31.4 KB
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
That is a rich racing history, you'll definitely want a full suspension cart with your back issue. Cycle carts aren't the most back friendly vehicles.

Torro123 Avatar
Torro123 René Wesselius
These are my plans,front engine,chain to a sprocket,again chain to a second sprocket so the chains can be short.
On the second set of sprocket the axle goes to the outside of the chassis,from there a chain to the sprocket on the rear axle.
The rear axle will be 2 stumps,both with a disc brake,1 wheel will be driven and the other wheel only for braking,this way i dont need a diff.
As earlier mentioned i need some of suspension in the rear,because of the outside chaindrive i want the rear axle not suspended so my plan is to make the seat suspended.
In the front a hinge and the seat area will get a coilover spring just under the headrest attached to the chassis.
Hope the drawing makes it clear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-16 06:48 AM by Torro123.

Attachments:
IMG_20170216_0001.pdf    189.2 KB

Torro123 Avatar
Torro123 René Wesselius
Side vieuw

Attachments:
IMG_20170216_0001.pdf    167.9 KB

Tom Knight Avatar
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
1911 CycleKart Racing "Yellow Peril"
Looks good....

Alleggerita Jack Van Hoek
Uden, Noord Brabant, Netherlands   NLD
Hey René, what a story! I am sorry about your brother, I have seen many MON street races in the past. It was dangerous and too many racers died or got disabled. I still participate in Solex endurance races, like 24h in the Netherlands and 6h in France, but being 56 now I guess I have to move to 4 wheels.

I see a Ford in yr avatar, I am restoring a 1959 Ford Anglia 100E now, which is almost finished. In Spring I hope to be able to have my CK drawings ready. I rather work from drawings. In the field Engineering has never been my best talent.

Torro123 Avatar
Torro123 René Wesselius
Hello Jack,nice to hear from a fellow countryman.
Solex races are nice,i've seen some of the events,nothing for me though.........i don't have wooden shoes and a long leather coatgrinning smiley
About CKs.......it would be nice to have some more builders in the Netherlands,as far as i know at the moment there is only one who really has one build and driven it,and i think mine would be the second CK in the Netherlands.
Building from a drawing sounds good but i rather develop when i am building it..........trail and error is more of my thing.
Good luck with your build and keep us up to date.
René

Torro123 Avatar
Torro123 René Wesselius
Yesterday a package arrived including 4 17" wheels from a Yamaha Fs1
2 Front and 2 rear wheels,the front wheels are with a disc brake and the rear with drum brakes,They are ofcourse second hand and a bit rusty,it does'nt matter because i will paint or powder coat them,the rims are straight and the hubs not damaged,a couple of spokes are bend but these will be replaced.
To begin i took the first wheel apart,a front wheel.
I put the wheel on the cookerplate and heat it so the old bearings easely can tapped out and i got the spokes out of the rim.

Attachments:
PICT0002.JPG    57.3 KB
PICT0002.JPG

PICT0011.JPG    43.8 KB
PICT0012.JPG    41 KB
PICT0007.JPG    50.2 KB
Torro123 Avatar
Torro123 René Wesselius
You may ask why i choose the Yamaha wheels instead of Honda?
Honda wheels are difficult to get and expansive,these Yamaha wheels were 15 euro's a piece and when i asked for them on the Yamaha fs1 forum within an hour i bought them.
Including postal cost 84 euro for four wheels........
I am gonna use 42x20x12 bearings and they don't fit on both sides of the wheels,the outside has enough room for these bearings but the inner side where the disc was is too small,i made an extension piece on the lathe in which the bearing fits and is bolted too the holes the disc was bolted to the hub.
This makes it a wider hub and the bearings will be supporting the hub over a larger piece of the spindle,this will be better i think to carry the load.
The outside of the hub will be machined for the bearing another time,i have ordered bearings but still don't have them.
René

Attachments:
PICT0004.JPG    31.8 KB
PICT0004.JPG

PICT0013.JPG    35.5 KB
PICT0014.JPG    36.8 KB
PICT0015.JPG    41.1 KB
akumabito Avatar
akumabito Joost van Ekris
Smilde, Drenthe, Netherlands   NLD
Those wheels are a nice find!

I looked at Honda MT5 wheels for a bit. They pop up occasionally on Marktplaats.nl
These FS1 wheels look like they'd work well.

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
René,

Why are you going for a 12mm axle? It seems a bit thin for single sided support, 16mm / 5/8" seems to be the size most go for, some use 19/20mm / 3/4". The 6004-2RS bearings are 42mm o/d and 20mm bore, take your pick out of this lot: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=6004-2RS&LH_PrefLoc=3&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=6004-2&_sacat=0.

Chris

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
I think that's what Rene is talking about Chris, 42x20x12 bearings are 20mm bore and 12mm thick.
dg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1924 CycleKart Great Britain

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links