Post war Persuasion

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
O.K.
I have been wanting to broach this subject for some time, but have been reluctant to do so until
I felt that I'd produced a credible example of the breed.
Knowing that this may be a polarizing topic, I will respect the valid opinions of any naysayers, but please try not to clog up or otherwise stifle this discussion if it's not for you.

I would like to promote, and personally support, the selection of more Postwar era inspiration cars. Judicious application of cyclekart specifications can be made to many very noteworthy and historic machines dating easily into the late 1950s to good effect. I chose my 1950 car, not to launch some insurrection in the C/K world, but because I have always loved the car, and here was a way to replicate one affordably. It is from my favorite period but still, I hesitated to step out of line. I almost backed away and built an earlier car that I also love, but I'm very happy to have stuck with the Ferrari.

So, I extend this invitation. Who will take the challenge of blending the sexy bodywork of your favorite Formula 1 car of the '50s with the skinny wire wheels of the cyclekart? As an example, the pre-war Mercedes W154 rode on the same width tires as did the post-war W196! Only the diameter had changed.

This should be what I believe they call, "a safe space" to discuss this.

Let's have it-

Bentaxle

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20170227_174238-1.jpg    41.7 KB
20170227_174238-1.jpg

Antioch Bob M
Langley, BC, Canada   CAN
1929 CycleKart French "LR2 Special"
Well Dave I have to say you are not the only one. Not sure I ever will build but certainly have though about it a lot. (Particularly after walking through the Indy track museum)

However the next car is going to be an Alfa 512 which sits on the time border. But unlike the 60's cars there is a lot if room for bigger guys to both get into.....and out of. When getting to try a faux body shell out for a picture....half way in it felt like plenty of room, but after dropping down....the last half narrowed considerably & the thump felt like I was now friction fit in place & about to be part of the permanent exhibits! But with a lot of wiggling I managed to break the hold & climb out. So while I will always admire those cars I am convinced they may not appreciate me as a driver...

Rosengart LR2 special

http://rosengart.rzaplaser.com/rosengart-lr2-build/

CmdBentaxle Avatar
Ooh, a 512 would be something else!
Thanks for setting a peaceful tone, Bob.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tiopancho Avatar
tiopancho Silver Member David Dahl
Swansea Point, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
That car is very pretty, I am still planning so I might plagiarize you..........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-04 12:26 PM by tiopancho.

MalibuMan Cas Tuyn
Weert, Limburg, Netherlands   NLD
Your kart is beautiful. Technologically it is a prewar car.

Hearing the complaints about no rear suspension breaking the driver's back, i am going for the looks of the pre-war, but with wishbone suspension on all 4 wheels. My cyclekart will be an Austin 7 inspired body with Lotus Super 7 style suspension.

As long as it's in the spirit of the self-built, single-seater scaled down to 1 person, I would say it fits in the custom kart category. For me the boundary is standalone wheels around a skinny body versus wheels inside the body.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
Thank you, both.
There are just dozens of possibilities. If my project inspires anyone, it would be really be icing on the cake.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 22686 by tiopancho That car is very pretty, I am still planing so I might plagiarize you..........
Hi Dave
How is your CK coming?
Brian

tiopancho Avatar
tiopancho Silver Member David Dahl
Swansea Point, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Hi Brian,
as stated still on paper but all the hardware is in the garage. I'm still in that quandary space, kiss or go all in. It is the first one so simple is smart. But........

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
That Alfa 512 would certainly solve the weight distribution problem
with the Cyclekarts being built by most.
But,I'm afraid you would have to sit with your feet over the front axle.
dg

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 22691 by tiopancho Hi Brian,
as stated still on paper but all the hardware is in the garage. I'm still in that quandary space, kiss or go all in. It is the first one so simple is smart. But........
I know!
Just when I think I am passed the No Rear Suspension thing....someone else brings it up.
Frustrating.
But, if we will be racing this summer we must move forward.
Brian
PS
We can build full suspension CKs next winter!

CmdBentaxle Avatar
In reply to # 22694 by Denny Graham That Alfa 512 would certainly solve the weight distribution problem
with the Cyclekarts being built by most.
But,I'm afraid you would have to sit with your feet over the front axle.
dg
Talk about being the first on the scene of a wreck!
Sorry.

DavidMGA1600 Avatar
DavidMGA1600 Silver Member David Lake
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1935 CycleKart Great Britain
1960 MG MGA "Dads Car"
1961 CycleKart Race Car "Team Ferrari"
Dave

We both have a similar era of Ferrari passion, mine just a few years later than yours.
I believe if you don't build what you love and desire, the project may stall or not be as good as it could have been.

Here is my 1962 Ferrari 156 CK.

David

David

1960 MGA 1600 Convertible,
Gold Coast, Australia.

Attachments:
IMG_0350.JPG    73.5 KB
IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG    99.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Dave, if you don't say "1950 Ferrari 166 F2" then it's just a custom cart. You can come up and drive with me anytime.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
Agree completely, David.
By the way, did you ever get that rear hub thing worked out?

Antioch Bob M
Langley, BC, Canada   CAN
1929 CycleKart French "LR2 Special"
Yes an alpha 512 has a few challenges. I am going to cheat a bit & borrow a few ideas that were used by the auto union team built by Gittreville members.

Now all of that aside.... I have not had time to put any drawings together & look at it very closely... but I think it's doable.....& more importantly it has a nice large opening to get in & out...and yes it look cool. The downside for me will be doing the body.

However in the mean time before I start anything new I want to finish fixing a few things on my Rosengart front end. And then play around with the gearing a bit. But time being what it is....too many other things going on.

But happily will follow this thread to see what others are up to.

Rosengart LR2 special

http://rosengart.rzaplaser.com/rosengart-lr2-build/

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1931 CycleKart Italian

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links