AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Just giving this a bump, for all the new folks out there trying
to decide.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TheGIantTribble Avatar
Chelmsford, Essex, UK   GBR
Post war cars...it opens up some very pretty machinery.
Maserati (yes I have a thing for Massers) 250F
Cooper Bristol
Lotus 49, and 72 (yes I have a think for Lotus as well)
Emmerson and Dolphin formula juniors, I know they are not Grand Prix cars, but they are lovely, in fact
I think I could have a really good stab at a Mk5 formula 3 Copper.

I think I'd better stop now...

CmdBentaxle Avatar
Ah! The 250f is in a close battle for my next car.
There was someone around who was considering a Cooper 500, but backed away. I wish he'd stayed on it. If you don't let the bodywork intimate you, the era is like a candy store!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CmdBentaxle Avatar
Did I say "intimate"? Oh my. Intimidate is what I meant to say.

Cobra Avatar
Cobra A Freeman
Overton, Nevada, USA   USA
How about any open-wheel non-winged formula car. they pretty much all fit the style and purpose without being out of place aesthetically with traditional cyclekarts. I am liking the looks of that Dolphin and have always loved the Lotus. That 250f would be great despite that monstrous nose.

Or better idea yet. Begin a sister class of cyclekarts modeled after these same formula cars but using 12" trailer wheels instead of the ct90 wheels. They look more the part, easier to find/replace, and much cheaper. they run about 20" tall and 4-5 inches wide depending on the tire. Perfect for a mini version of a Cooper 500. Call the new class Formula CK, Formulakart, or some other snappy title. Run them with the normal group or separate. I cant imagine one class would have a real performance advantage over the other in any case.

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."

Attachments:
460fe64f48.jpg    22.9 KB
460fe64f48.jpg

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Hello Freeman,
maybe soemthing like this on attached photos?
It was built by Stevensons, the same as older version with electric power. If I am not wrong, there are plans to be bought trough Stevenson's projects:

http://www.stevproj.com/

...and, some videos:

Maybe something should be changed: dimensions, power, steering-wheel...

Ciao,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

Attachments:
IMG_0301.JPG    48.4 KB
IMG_0301.JPG

Lasitr3[1].jpeg    17.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
stevenson's indy car.jpgtr.jpg    39.6 KB
stevenson's indy car.jpgeewe3.jpg    38.6 KB
Cobra Avatar
Cobra A Freeman
That is great!
A little smaller than I imagine it, but close to what we are taking about.
Build it more on the scale of the cyclekarts and with bigger wheels and you've got a winner

CmdBentaxle Avatar
Once the wheel/tire dimensions leave the realm of cyclekart formula, I would say they would need to be run separately. Such a setup, while very cool and attractive to me, would diminish the feel of an event if
run with the oldtimers. On their own track, a bunch of mid 1960s grand prix cars would be brilliant!
NO wings for me though please. This kind of talk really belongs in Custom karts however.

Cobra Avatar
Cobra A Freeman
problem with bumping a convo like this into CUSTOM KART land is that not everyone here goes to the custom kart forums. The audience we are trying to attract mostly is here. That's like saying "If you want to talk to me about this you have to go into the next room to do it, and no yelling."

CmdBentaxle Avatar
Oh I've got no problem with entertaining the subject here. When I started the topic I hoped it would
be a spot for more experimental discussion. My intent was to push the boundaries of the cyclekart formula with regards to year eligibility while respecting the widely accepted technical specifications.
My car doesn't bust one single parameter of the Gittreville builders guidelines because I built it to be
run at those events. To the organizers, it is a cyclekart.
The type of machine we have just been discussing is not. Cool as it would be, it would not be welcome to run at any event currently held, and would need a new formula built up around it. You and I both know that any attempt to absorb such a class of car into a C/K event would be met with considerable
resistance. I suspect guys interested in karts like this are far more likely to check up on custom karts.
I know I do.

I started the topic over there so we could continue it unassailed by purists, while trying to keep this one
from going too far afield.

Dave

gearguy Charles Schultz
Oil City, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
I am stuck in limbo on my T-32 tank build due to an acceleration in our plan to relocate back to Western PA. As a result I have all the parts to build the kart, all the technical issues resolved via drawings/calculation, and a ban on making any mess in the shop. So I have time to think about my next build, hopefully in a home with several acres to run the kart on.

My interests are in non-formula karts. I find the Honda wheel/tire dangerously limiting and becoming expensive. A shift to post war designs opens up the use of temporary spare tires and trailer tires along with more robust hubs and spindles. A 500cc F3 inspired kart would be really neat; those cross leaf spring Fiat "mouse" based suspensions look "doable" with cheap trailer parts.

At the risk of irritating people further I will not be posting anything until I actually start building. Hopefully this fall in a small town that might be open to a Gran Prix around the town square in a few years.

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Dave,

Your ideas fall within the cyclekart outline specifications, just from a different era. I have no problem with what you're suggesting, as it follows the ethos of cyclekarts. As you say would have to be run separately from the older style karts, as the two wouldn't mix in style. Might even be tempted to build one myself, it's as well to move it to Custom Karts though for the time being, until the idea is generally accepted, or not. I'll follow the debate with interest.

Chris

CmdBentaxle Avatar
Charles if I didn't live where I do, in such close proximity to the action I would be more inclined to go in your direction. However, the variety of tires and wheels and motorcycle engines available have always been there. Yet I never did anything with the ideas I'd come up with because the car would have no purpose, no venue to exercise it. For me, the combination of style, affordability, and the prospect of wheel to wheel action was the hook. 9 months (while running my business) after settling on an inspiration car I was driving it around. And I have to say, I too had my doubts about those spindly wheels. But combined with the little engine and the light weight, It is the most purely entertaining vehicle I've ever driven. Those wheels are up to the job. I can corner hard past the limit of adhesion, on clean dry asphalt and the breakaway is as predictable as driving your pickup on gravel. And in the rain?
I was just out yesterday to test on some wet pavement and got more than I bargained for.
It started to downpour, but I just couldn't stop. The spray was blinding, making hard to see my cones. My goggles completely awash. Rooster tails arching 6 feet high over every wheel. Sliding and drifting from turn to turn. It was once, miserable and glorious!

So yeah. I guess you could say I'm happy I built a spec cyclekart.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
In the vein of this topic, I'd just like to thank everyone for the nice reception my car received at Tieton.
Anytime you push the boundaries a little you wonder how much blowback your in for, but everyone was
really positive and supportive. Spectators and fellow builders alike. So again, Thanks.

Now, then. It sure would be cool if next year (or perhaps sooner) when I roll out onto the grid, I look across and, Gasp! There's a 250F or an Alfa 159! or a W196 or a BRM V16 or a Talbot-Lago or Cooper or
Vauxhall or .......

Bentaxle

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Dave
You forgot "Belly Tank"????
Brian
"Woody"

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

2016 CycleKart Custom

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links