CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Good Starter Cyclekart

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rking.1688 Ryan K
Delaware, Ohio, USA   USA
I'm looking for ideas for a good starter cyclekart. I was thinking something like a Frazer Nash chain gang or something with an exposed frame rail/motor. I have access to plenty of tools, especially on the woodworking side. Jut don't want something that would prove to be too difficult to start with.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Pierro Taruffi Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffs, UK   GBR
1923 CycleKart Vintage "Voisin Laboratoire"
In my honest opinion, use the Stevenson method for your first. It's quick, easy, and very well proven. I don't weld and I achieved the basic rolling CK in a matter of not a lot of days. I'm closing in on doing another the same way.

rking.1688 Ryan K
I keep hearing about the Stevenson's karts. Couple of questions:

1. Are there different designs?
2. They are wood framed, correct?
3. How readily available are the plans?
4. Is it easily modified to look unique?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
Go here Ryan for answers to all your questions.......

http://cyclekarts.com

In reply to # 23019 by rking.1688 I keep hearing about the Stevenson's karts. Couple of questions:

1. Are there different designs?
2. They are wood framed, correct?
3. How readily available are the plans?
4. Is it easily modified to look unique?

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Ryan, the Stevenson formula is two steel rails attached to the outside of a wooden tub.

gearguy Charles Schultz
Oil City, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
Even has the HF clone motor hanging out the bonnet for a proper front engine/ rear drive CK. Simple bodywork no one will ever forget. Makes my T-32 Tank look attractive.

Attachments:
GNMOWCLI.jpg    40.2 KB
GNMOWCLI.jpg

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
To answer your questions directly Ryan,
1. The Stevensons built on one basic set of dimensions, and made bodywork to fit the design of the inspiration car.
2. The chassis consisted of a plywood box structure, bottom, sides, and top with a cockpit
opening, with 1x3 steel rectangular tube frame rails bolted to the sides.
3. There are no plans, as such. This is not by accident. The originators wanted to encourage individual intiative and resourcefulness, (and probably avoid possible liability) buy not offering plans. Like it or not, this position has been carried onward, for the same reasons. However,
such extensive documentation of builds has been shared that frankly, lack of plans isn't much of a barrier.
4. Very easily. A basic Stevenson is like a blank slate. Just forming grillwork and tail shape and adding details can generate a really nice result.

But you should consider one for the performance as well, as they are among the lightest out there. We are, I feel, in a period of cyclekart builds of increasing complexity and weight.
I don't see this progress, when it comes to cyclekarts. My opinion is that they are at their best
when nimble and tossable, but that's not for everyone.
I've just about got myself talked into building one now!

Dave

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Watch Dennis Thomas" Videos on You Tube.
Basic design with great results!
Good Roads
Brian

rking.1688 Ryan K
I'm starting to come around to the ideas behind the hobby. I did some more reading today, and building the kart definitely appears to be half the fun. That being said, is anybody making ready made front axles? Or is there something that works? That appears to be the most difficult barrier to cross.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 23033 by rking.1688 I'm starting to come around to the ideas behind the hobby. I did some more reading today, and building the kart definitely appears to be half the fun. That being said, is anybody making ready made front axles? Or is there something that works? That appears to be the most difficult barrier to cross.

This question has come up here on the Forum before, and the answer is, it seems not.
But, VKC has spindles available at a price that you couldn't build them for yourself.
The axle is not a daunting of task as you might first think.......depending on what you require for the car you have chosen to clone.
I procrastinated on mine for months, then ended up only taking an afternoon to make all of the pieces.
I have yet to weld it together. but soon.
Good Roads
Brian

dBlast Avatar
dBlast Vince De Blasi
Maple, Ontario, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 23039 by Woodysrods
This question has come up here on the Forum before, and the answer is, it seems not.
But, VKC has spindles available at a price that you couldn't build them for yourself.
The axle is not a daunting of task as you might first think.......depending on what you require for the car you have chosen to clone.
I procrastinated on mine for months, then ended up only taking an afternoon to make all of the pieces.
I have yet to weld it together. but soon.
Good Roads
Brian

Vintage Kart Co. will sell you a complete front axle with spindles (I may buy one, as it is cheaper than buying a machine that I may use only once to bend the tube) :

Vince.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-16 10:55 AM by dBlast.

Torro123 Avatar
Torro123 René Wesselius
Amsterdam, NH, Netherlands   NLD
I think buying an axle is'nt much rewarding as building it yourself,i"ll try to build most of the components myself.
Altough i have a mill and a lathe(and use them too)it is possible to make almost everything using a angle grinder,handdrill and a mig welder.
In the past i was building several racing bikes and choppers with these tools so a CK would'nt be a problem.
Building the parts yourself saves money and on the result of your effort you can put a sticker saying.........this machine was build,not bought.grinning smiley

dBlast Avatar
dBlast Vince De Blasi
Maple, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Rene,

I agree with you completely. I have a complete wood shop and have built designed and built many projects in wood, but since this is my first foray into any kind of metal work I though this might be a solution into fabricating a complex piece. Heck I have never welded before in my life, but I intend to weld up the frame myself.

Vince.

Pierro Taruffi Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffs, UK   GBR
1923 CycleKart Vintage "Voisin Laboratoire"
If you were to follow what Stevensons did there is no welding in the "frame" and very rewarding to the woodworker in you.

gearguy Charles Schultz
Oil City, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
No welding? No problem. Atached are my designs for a complete front axle and suspension that can be built with a hack saw and a drill press. Cross leaf, parallel leaf, torsion bar, or coil over will work. Build it yourself and if you are so inclined have it welded together after you have finished developing & debugging. Can use standard kart spindles if desired too.

Make them yourself friction shock drawing added in case you want to make those too.

Attachments:
NOWELD2.pdf    71.3 KB

NOWELD.pdf    152 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
CK148.pdf    63 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

2015 CycleKart American

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links