CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Good Starter Cyclekart

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

akumabito Avatar
akumabito Joost van Ekris
Smilde, Drenthe, Netherlands   NLD
The dimensions of the original 'formula' karts tends to scale well to a multitude of vehicles. Here's the Amilcar CGSS scaled to formula specs. It works perfectly, the only thing that needs some adjustment is the cockpit area. It's one of those builds that can start out real simple, and be brought to live by a proper paintjob, a spare wheel and some other accessories.

If I were a sane man, this is the car I would build, but nooooo... I just had to make it all difficult for myself and go for the Schasche instead...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Amilcar Cyclekart 2.jpg    38.7 KB
Amilcar Cyclekart 2.jpg

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Here my Miller axle all cut and ready to weld.
Brian

Attachments:
P3100235.JPG    30.1 KB
P3100235.JPG

rking.1688 Ryan K
Delaware, Ohio, USA   USA
Father in law might be able to help me with the axle. We don't have a good welder, sure we can find one, but he worked in the steel industry for years. The VKC axle does look sharp though!

I found a rough plan that I like. Not sure what car it is modeled after, but it looks neat. I'm trying to figure out how to either make either adjustable pedal length or hand throttle and brake controls with the steering wheel. I want to be able to make it so I can gear it down and the kids could run it safely as well. What do you guys think?

Attachments:
IMG_2570.JPG    45.7 KB
IMG_2570.JPG

dBlast Avatar
dBlast Vince De Blasi
Maple, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Your design looks good for a simple to make first kart.

Here is an example of a multiple foot control setup for kids use:

I always liked this simple to make all wood body cyclekart from member Don Bledsoe with the pedal setup above:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-16 07:17 PM by dBlast.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
More simplicity. A 4 or 5 inch thick seatback pad to throw in for the kids works great down to about age 12. That's about as young as I'll let go alone in mine. These are not safe to crash into things with, at any speed .Just turn in the throttle limit screw to restrict power. All the Predators and Hondas have them.

Dave

rking.1688 Ryan K
I was already thinking about just governing the throttle. I can see that they wouldn't exactly be crash or roll proof. :-)

Are most of the body tubs made out of 1/2" plywood? Trying to get a small list of rough parts together I'd need to get a start. Also, what good sources are out there for the wheels? The cyclekarts site said they were Honda. Would a Honda power sports store have them?

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Wheels are Honda CT90....very popular all around the world. Millions made.
But, the CycleKart community has been gobbling them up for a number of years now, so they are getting pricy and hard to find, even on eBay.
Once again, Jack at VKC has brand new ones for not much more than old rusty ones are going for an eBay. He brought in a container full and sells the specifically to CycleKart guys I believe.
Money well spent.
Good Roads
Brian

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
The Stevenson method uses 1/4 to 1/2 plywood, but it seems most guys go heavier.
Actually most karts aren't built this way, their bulders opting for more substantial structure.
Kind of a shame really, as this usually means a lot more weight. Rhys, the gentleman who posted above built one to less than 200lbs. Many cyclekarts end up pushing, or even exeeding
300lbs with this additional structure. You can imagine the effect this has on performance when only 6 to 10 hp is involved.

Dave

rking.1688 Ryan K
I would like mine to be traditional and try and keep it under that 250 mark. I can understand wanting one that is structurally sound, but I think that's half the challenge is building it to be sturdy and light at the same time. The more I'm reading up, the more I like the idea of these. Sadly I don't have any kind of group or club locally that I can find, so it looks like it's just me for now!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-17 06:34 AM by rking.1688.

rking.1688 Ryan K
Might have a lead on a cheap CT90 with two extra wheels. Waiting to hear back from the Craigslist lister to see if it's still available. If so, that would be an awesome start!

Woodysrods Brian Woods
In reply to # 23067 by rking.1688 Might have a lead on a cheap CT90 with two extra wheels. Waiting to hear back from the Craigslist lister to see if it's still available. If so, that would be an awesome start!
Buying a complete package (old bike) and using what you can then scrapping the rest is often way cheaper than buying parts individually.
When I build a car for myself, I always try to buy "Three" and pick out he best from each. Then when I am finished I save some spare pieces and sell the rest. Always recover my money and usually make money towards the initial project.
Just good economics.
Good Roads
Brian

Little French Avatar
Little French Silver Member Fabrice B
PUY DU LAC, Charente maritime, France   FRA
In reply to # 23055 by rking.1688 Father in law might be able to help me with the axle. We don't have a good welder, sure we can find one, but he worked in the steel industry for years. The VKC axle does look sharp though!

I found a rough plan that I like. Not sure what car it is modeled after, but it looks neat. I'm trying to figure out how to either make either adjustable pedal length or hand throttle and brake controls with the steering wheel. I want to be able to make it so I can gear it down and the kids could run it safely as well. What do you guys think?

Hello Ryan,

I designed and built this CK for my wife
This drawing is very inspired by the drawing of Blesoe
If you want information about steering, pedals, etc., ... interesting things here : French CK and here : French Forum

Soon
Fabrice

Attachments:
P1090333.JPG    122 KB
P1090333.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1921 CycleKart German

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links