CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Let's Talk Axles

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Pierro Taruffi Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffs, UK   GBR
1923 CycleKart Vintage "Voisin Laboratoire"
Cool, if you read the thread about the GN on www.gittrevillegp.com you go to Cars A and follow through their thorough build threads. The trailer springs will be way too stiff.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
rking.1688 Ryan K
Delaware, Ohio, USA   USA
In reply to # 23124 by Pierro Taruffi Cool, if you read the thread about the GN on www.gittrevillegp.com you go to Cars A and follow through their thorough build threads. The trailer springs will be way too stiff.

First off, thanks for the link! Oh my goodness is that some inspiration. Second, there are 230# trailer springs out there as well, think they would be too stiff? I might be able to head over to Amish country and find a buggy shop for seat springs as well.

Pierro Taruffi Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffs, UK   GBR
1923 CycleKart Vintage "Voisin Laboratoire"
230#,
I would have to ask what that means. If it's spring rate, that usually means it would take 230# to move them 1".
If it's carrying capability, is that per pair, or each?
First up ask the seller those questions.
Now if you are going to cut them in half to make your 1/4 elliptics, very roughly (this is not exact I know) they will double their stiffness/rate/carrying capability. Depending on how you build your car, as Dennis T does or more like a Stevenson or even more like some of the more complex ones on here, there will be a huge variation in weight on the front end. The 1/4 elliptics I have had made for my next one are designed by a spring maker to accept 260# under extreme bump load, ie the whole weight of the car and me all on them, none on the rear.
So to compare; lets assume those springs are designed as full springs to have the same load condition. They are 230#, cut in half, roughly 460#, that's a bit less than double mine. If they are 230# /inch, .....

rking.1688 Ryan K
Delaware, Ohio, USA   USA
http://www.truckspring.com/trailer-parts/trailer-suspension/trailer-springs/slipper-radius-end-MTS-176.aspx

There is the link for the springs in looking at. I would basically cut off the elliptical slipper and keep the eye to mount to the axle. They are wide, that's the only concern I have with them.

I am for sure building the GN "Rikki Tikki" car pictured below. So, looking at it, there isn't going to be a lot of front weight. I'll basically sit on the axle and the engine right behind. I may want to consider a looser spring for better ride for this I'm thinking.

Attachments:
IMG_2591.JPG    34 KB
IMG_2591.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1911 CycleKart Racing

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links