CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

The Gore Kart P1.. first time.

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

joshgoreworks Joshua G
Mchenry, IL, USA   USA
So I find it unbelievable that I'm just getting into these wonderful machines now, way late in the game. I've built race cars, and even an open wheeler, but they all required long weekends for limited track time, or necessitated a bigger budget. Then one day I was browsing a 60's era road and track magazine where I see a review for a cyclekart, next thing you know I'm on this forum and making plans of my own.

So here they are, my first attempt at a design, i'm not even sure if it belongs here because I don't plan on using wood for anything but non structural bodywork, but the dimensions and features all seem to follow Stevenson rules? The frame consists of two primary rails which are large tubes possibly made of green fiberglass, steel, aluminum or even carbon fiber(not in the budget), attached to the rails are 3 steel subassemblies which will either be bonded or welded to the mating parts. My background is in composites and I want to use my kart as a lab to tinker with techniques learned elsewhere. The suspension design uses leaf springs front and rear with urethane bushings creating a third link for the axle.

I will update as the design is refined including some 3d renderings which are in process.

I appreciate any advice or insights, thanks for creating a cool community.

Josh

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Welcome Josh, cool project. My only insight is, make it as low as possible for better handling.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Hi Josh
Looks like you are in for some good cheap fun.
My CycleKart will only have wood on the steering wheel, as I am a Street Rod builder and steel is my material of choice.
Although this cycleKart project is going to allow me to hone my aluminum fabricating skills.
As weight is the enemy.
Remember not to try to re invent the wheel or you will defeat the concept that makes this hobby cheap and fun!
Good Roads
Brian

joshgoreworks Joshua G
Mchenry, IL, USA   USA
Yes, low will be best. I think the design as drawn may be slightly deceiving because the seat is not placed directly on the floor and the suspension has no sag as drawn. When I have a more detailed drawing specifying seat and ride heights I will share and maybe I make some changes after reflecting.

Regarding the cost or complexity, this is kinda relative, meaning it may cost me far more to move outside my skill-set for the sake of materials or methods for which I do not work. That being said, I fully plan to learn tons of new things on this project and if that means I scratch 10 ideas before building the 11th that's fine too.

I built this formula vee(before tires) including engine/trans and bodywork for a budget which would be cyclekart legal, or about 1/2 the cost of a 'pro' cyclekart kit. (not including road trip costs to pickup parts).

Thanks,
Josh

stegla Stephen G
Guernsey, Channel Islands, UK   GBR
Josh,

I really like your concept and, providing you don't go for exotic materials, it fits the 'formula' exactly.

Steve

joshgoreworks Joshua G
Mchenry, IL, USA   USA
Thanks, one of the areas I have to run is next to an orchard, or an old part of the orchard. Regarding the talk of carbon, I figured if I were to ever build using such techniques I would do them in a diy fashion and share the process, but yes it would seem at that point even if within budget, they would be outside of the spirit of the rules and subsequently more my own experiment or exhibition.

Josh

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1932 CycleKart American

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links