CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Weight Loss

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
As we all know, "weight" or more specific, the "lack of it" is the most important factor in building a CycleKart!
With everyone one running the same motors and wheels size, it all comes down to haw much weight are you asking that finely tuned little Honda or Predator motor to push down the road or up that hill.
The biggest component in a Ck when it leaves the start line, is the "Driver!"
Thus, it takes a lot of hole drilling, stepping down a gauge in material, or using aluminium in place of steel for as much as you can ....just to shed a couple of pounds.
But it all really boils down to the Old Fat Guy we are squeezing into the little Karts.
The difference between a 150 lb driver and a 250 lb driver is insurmountable when choosing construction materials.

So, the only solution to the problem is to work on getting ourselves race ready, by trimming down a little before race day!
This is just a reminder, not a challenge.
See you at the "Finish Line"
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tiopancho Avatar
tiopancho Silver Member David Dahl
Swansea Point, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I hate you now!

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
Yeah.....now we gotta skip desert tonight!
dg

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Just go ahead and build it with the scale cockpit. If you can't get in, you can't drive. Incentive based weight loss!

So far, I'm gonna have to climb in sideways then drag me out with
a winch. If I loose anymore weight, you won't be able to see me
when I turn sideways!
So I can afford to build a substantial kart that will hold up to the
riggers of off road hill climbs.
dg

Woodysrods Brian Woods
In reply to # 23219 by tiopancho I hate you now!
Sorry Dave
Hope we are not finished before we even got to meet.
When are you coming thru Kelowna next?
Brian

tiopancho Avatar
tiopancho Silver Member David Dahl
Swansea Point, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I was still racing gokarts into my fourties and was usually about ten pounds over minimum, racing little kids that had to add twenty pounds just to make minimum. That ten pounds cost a lot of firstplaces.....

Woodysrods Brian Woods
In CK racing at Tieton, I think Johnny Dumphries would be the benchmark for a "minimum weight".
My weight spreadsheet keeps heading north.
We will see where it tops out at.
Brian

CmdBentaxle Avatar
Indeed. You put Dumfries in that 235lb Peugeot, and it becomes a race for 2nd.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
Dennis T. is no Sumo either.

Seems like the Stevenson formula has a built in prejudice toward the big boys
in the crowd with its maximum weight bit.
As David brought up, the weight classes as established in go kart racing is something
that I'm 110% in favor of. I have, from the very first time I learned about the so called
"Stevenson formula" felt that if you're going to call the meet, a race or competition,
then there is a definite need to level the playing field by "minimum" weight classes.
Why should a 6'2" 210 lb lumber jack be punished by having to compete against
a 5'6" 135 lb string bean.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Woodysrods Brian Woods
This thread was not posted to point fingers, but just o point out fact!
There is also a catch 22 to this issue.
That is: Extra weight requires extra strength......Thus, when larger drivers are building they have to make things a little stronger creating even more weight on the CK end of the equation.
Just something to ponder!
Good Roads
Brian

CmdBentaxle Avatar
That's a fair point.
Imagine two drivers lining up at the orchard with identical sub 200lb Stevensons. Driver A is 135 lbs while driver B is 100lbs heavier at 235lbs. And, their off!
Driver A of course, gets the hole shot and is into the corner 1st, while driver B, for Big, is already eating dust as he eventually gets up to speed half way down the straight. A, for athletic, or anorexic or whatever, sails though the 2nd corner slowing only a little and accelerating smartly while B sort of plows into the corner, loosing a bunch of momentum and must wait for the speed to rebuild. Lap after lap it goes like this until B's tortured machine can take no more. The plywood is coming undone, the lightweight Azusa spindles are cracking, the spindley tierods bending, the buggy springs? Oh, those damdable buggy springs! Finally, it all goes at once. Somewhere between turns 3 and 4, as driver A is celebrating with a Michelob Ultra, or some such, the Big man comes sliding to a halt atop nothing more than a sheet of 5/8ths ply and a few wood screws. As the dust clears, he can be seen, arms raised to the heavens, howling, WHY? WHY didn't I build it stronger?

Because he wanted it to be fast.

You didn't happen to work for Walt Disney at one time did you Dave?
Sounds like a plot for a Goofy cartoon.
No finger pointing going on here Brian. I just think the sport needs
to give everyone a fare chance to stand on the podium and have
a drink of milk.
The only way to do that is with minimum weight classes. WKA and
other sanctioning bodies realized this early on their formation.
You see it in just about any type of motor racing.
dg

Woodysrods Brian Woods
In reply to # 23271 by CmdBentaxle That's a fair point.
Imagine two drivers lining up at the orchard with identical sub 200lb Stevensons. Driver A is 135 lbs while driver B is 100lbs heavier at 235lbs. And, their off!
Driver A of course, gets the hole shot and is into the corner 1st, while driver B, for Big, is already eating dust as he eventually gets up to speed half way down the straight. A, for athletic, or anorexic or whatever, sails though the 2nd corner slowing only a little and accelerating smartly while B sort of plows into the corner, loosing a bunch of momentum and must wait for the speed to rebuild. Lap after lap it goes like this until B's tortured machine can take no more. The plywood is coming undone, the lightweight Azusa spindles are cracking, the spindley tierods bending, the buggy springs? Oh, those damdable buggy springs! Finally, it all goes at once. Somewhere between turns 3 and 4, as driver A is celebrating with a Michelob Ultra, or some such, the Big man comes sliding to a halt atop nothing more than a sheet of 5/8ths ply and a few wood screws. As the dust clears, he can be seen, arms raised to the heavens, howling, WHY? WHY didn't I build it stronger?

Because he wanted it to be fast.

Exactly!
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Now lets get back to torturing those guys that build with wood!
Oh, you did say he came sliding in on a sheet of plywood, didn't you?
Brian

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1933 CycleKart Italian

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links