Weight Loss

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Now, before the wrath of all the furniture drivers out there descends on me, I'm just kidding. I am aware that many perfectly sound cyclekarts have been built largely of wood. I'd even like to build one myself one day.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Okay, remember when race cars and hotrods were full of holes to lighten them up?
Well, yesterday I spent 3 hours laying out and drilling 56 holes in "each" one of my brake rotors for my CK.
After pilot holes, next size up and chamfering on both side, it amounted to over 500 pulls on the drill press.

Starting weight was 1.8 lbs. each.
When I was finished they weighed 1.7 lbs.

All that work for 0.2 lbs. total?!!!
Think I will go back to the "Diet" approach!

Good Roads
Brian

Attachments:
P5140546.JPG    35.6 KB
P5140546.JPG

Tom Knight Avatar
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
1911 CycleKart Racing "Yellow Peril"
In reply to # 24147 by Woodysrods Okay, remember when race cars and hotrods were full of holes to lighten them up?
Well, yesterday I spent 3 hours laying out and drilling 56 holes in "each" one of my brake rotors for my CK.
After pilot holes, next size up and chamfering on both side, it amounted to over 500 pulls on the drill press.

Starting weight was 1.8 lbs. each.
When I was finished they weighed 1.7 lbs.

All that work for 0.2 lbs. total?!!!
Think I will go back to the "Diet" approach!

Good Roads
Brian

Holy Toledo, Cool factor before zero, after 100

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Brian Woods
Plan was to drill the drive sprocket today.........but is the loss of strength worth the little weight savings I might gain?????

dBlast Avatar
dBlast Vince De Blasi
Maple, Ontario, Canada   CAN
The 500 pulls on the drill press probably netted you more human weight loss than metal weight loss. lol.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
In reply to # 24152 by dBlast The 500 pulls on the drill press probably netted you more human weight loss than metal weight loss. lol.
That may have been true if it had not have been a quite Saturday in the shop, where the Beer Fridge is far to close to the drill press!
Brian

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Will I never learn?
Fabricated my Motor Plate today..........took to long but at least it turned out exactly as I wanted it to.
But, it weighed 5.2 lbs after it was rough cut to shape.
Then after trimming, fitting and drilling the required holes it was down to 4.5 lbs.
Well, while sitting on the deck enjoying a cold afternoon beverage at happy hour I proudly presented my newly made part (she was not impressed) and told her I was going to drill holes init to lighten it.
She reminded me that it would take 2 or 3 hours of my time and there would be negligible weight gain (loss).
I said I could do it in an hour.........well once again she was right on both counts.
25 holes + 3 hours of drilling, smoothing, cleaning, and beedblasting, and although I think it looks great and no structural strength was lost.
The net result was 0.6 of a lb.IT now weighs in at 3.9 lbs and is ready to weld into my chassis.
Brian i

Attachments:
P5280604.JPG    27.7 KB
P5280604.JPG

P5280605.JPG    30.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Looking mighty fine Brian, very professional workmanship.
dg

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Thanks Denny
Just posting pictures on my build thread.
Brian

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Did I mention the notch for the TAV?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1929 CycleKart Italian

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links