CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

2nd Build, Wife's 1926 bugatti type 37. (Wheels up)

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Kelly Wood Avatar
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA   USA
1927 CycleKart Pre War "Sargette"
Moving along...

A storm coming in has me a bit rushed because, well... I do love to get things done when something pops into my head. Before the rain hit, I had to get my wife's ride compartmentalized. It will be a dead on 66" wheelbase. The front end will be box stock sporting two horse-buggy seat springy thingies. I managed to find a set for 110. Not bad really.

The frame is 18 1/8" on the inner dimensions, wide enough for most human beings I guess. (don't ask why, I just make it up as I go along... kidding. If it got wider than that, the canoe piece started getting strange, so that's where it is)

Anyway, tacked in place, motor & tc tucked under there... yep.

When completed, I'll snag the other end of the canoe & go nuts on my third ride. It may be similar to this one but will be a bit different with a transverse spring setup for the front end.

Thanks for looking.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20170418_180600.jpg    62.5 KB
20170418_180600.jpg

20170418_180611.jpg    40.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20170418_180650.jpg    47.1 KB
20170418_181244.jpg    55.4 KB
CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
That 18 1/2" frame will work fine. The narrow, shorter karts are easier to keep light. Less of everything, when you think about it. Maybe you could use the other end of the canoe for the lower section of your boat tail.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
18" is the width that is most common for "seats" of all kinds.
My Kart is exactly that!
Love the canoe!
I hope you like my "garbage cans" when I show you how they will be used for my Miller grill.....when I get to that stage.
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Kelly Wood Avatar
Continuing on...

As much as a despise harbor freight... except when I can't find the right tool thingy, I found myself there today on my way home. Why? I don't have a way of cutting a 1 1/4" hole.

Whatever. A few bucks later and I must say, I am reasonably impressed because, well.. They did the job pretty well.

I placed things to accommodate a large rear gear so there was room enough for any change necessary. All seems well.

Rear axle & brakes placed temporarily, rear body piece trimmed a bit, holes cut for air filter & exhaust... and some nifty side trim in place. Yep.

Anyway, a few pics.

Moving along.

Attachments:
20170419_185630.jpg    40 KB
20170419_185630.jpg

20170419_192051.jpg    56.8 KB
20170419_192222.jpg    45.7 KB
20170419_192244.jpg    51.4 KB
Kelly Wood Avatar
In reply to # 23862 by Woodysrods I hope you like my "garbage cans" when I show you how they will be used for my Miller grill.....when I get to that stage.
Brian

Do show! I Love others creativity.

Kelly Wood Avatar
Moving along...

It feels like I'm cheating somehow here... but when just the right piece comes along, one simply must jump on it.

In some prior dealings of mine, I'd had my eye on something a friend had for use with one of my projects. This was 4 years ago. It's sat in his garage ever since.

Today it popped into my mind to ask him about it, and offer something to him in trade for it. Why? I want to make my wife something a little better than the direction the canoe thingy is going. She's worth it. Pretty sappy huh?

I have several sets of vintage go kart wheels... one set he'd had his eye on for a while too.

In the end, he's happy, I'm happy.

So what do you do with a rear body piece that, in sooo many ways, just foots the bill? Yep, make an entirely new frame for my wife's ride and steer the ship in a new direction on the canoe car.

But what of the canoe car? I'm sure those watching will approve. (look up Riley, about 1932, see last two pics... that's the inspiration for the canoe. It already kind of has that look... so... that's what the canoe car will become... my ride for Tieton.)

Stay tuned. I'm crazy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-20 10:01 PM by Kelly Wood.

Attachments:
20170420_183709.jpg    48.2 KB
20170420_183709.jpg

20170420_183732.jpg    56 KB
Dixon_Brookland_2liter_1.jpg    73.6 KB
dixon1.jpg    17.1 KB
CmdBentaxle Avatar
Kelly
What you have there is a dead ringer for the tail end of a Kurtis Kraft 2000.
Produced in the late 1940s and appearing frequently at Indy. Not at all a bad subject
for an inspiration car. If it was me, I would build the rest of it with a head start like that.

Dave

TheGIantTribble Avatar
Chelmsford, Essex, UK   GBR
Your not cheating at all, if it looks the part, if it inspires you, go for it.
And the rest of us will watch and admire.

Kelly Wood Avatar
Wow, I'd say that is a dead ringer. Thanks for that tidbit of info.

I'll show it to my wife but I think she'll just want me to continue on with it for now. We'll see where it goes.

In reply to # 23880 by CmdBentaxle Kelly
What you have there is a dead ringer for the tail end of a Kurtis Kraft 2000.
Produced in the late 1940s and appearing frequently at Indy. Not at all a bad subject
for an inspiration car. If it was me, I would build the rest of it with a head start like that.

Dave

Kelly Wood Avatar
After a day of work, and some thought, I figured I'd attempt to make this frame work. I really don't want to build another yet. Build too many projects, never finish one is how it goes with most... including me.

Anyway, some trimming, etc.

It'll work. Yep.

Thanks for a'lookin.

Attachments:
20170421_172751.jpg    37.8 KB
20170421_172751.jpg

20170421_172800.jpg    44.6 KB
20170421_173614.jpg    41.7 KB
20170421_173647.jpg    35 KB
CmdBentaxle Avatar
Any frame aft of your engine mount is basically extra
Ibs doing nothing but going for a ride. I would loose almost
all that stuff hanging out back there. Otherwise, it looks awsome!
I had to cut the same damn'd hole for my air cleaner, which
gauled me. But it's not that bad now that it's finished.

Attachments:
20170227_174046.jpg    39 KB
20170227_174046.jpg

Kelly Wood Avatar
Thanks. I totally agree. once that's all lined up & I've constructed some other such back there, sure I'll kill the extra. Like all of you fine builders, we all have our methods. smiling smiley

In reply to # 23894 by CmdBentaxle Any frame aft of your engine mount is basically extra
Ibs doing nothing but going for a ride. I would loose almost
all that stuff hanging out back there. Otherwise, it looks awsome!
I had to cut the same damn'd hole for my air cleaner, which
gauled me. But it's not that bad now that it's finished.

Kelly Wood Avatar
Continuing on...

Disregard the chrome front wheels hanging there, it's a visual thing.

Some lining things up, cut the hole for the exhaust, then it was onto the side trim that connects the wood/seat back to the rear body piece. We'll do a hinge & such later on.

The side trim is the rest of the stainless steel sides of a dead water cooler from my office. The brushed finish on the outside was nice, but inside she's even prettier. Clean it up & just don't bend it wrong and my wife's ride should be decent looking.

Then I got to thinking about the Tav & drive gear. Seeing it's sitting dead on top of the axle, adjusting chain tension would be a concern.

Out with a bent kart steering rod... cut it, thread it... then hook it to a connecting rod from some old motor. Hmmm.. yea, I think it'll work. Some trimming of the TAV plate will be needed, but this should work. The 4th picture shows me holding a straight edge (A welding rod) where the chain would be, if tight. So, yep. Probably.

Thanks for a lookin.

Attachments:
1.jpg    61.2 KB
1.jpg

2.jpg    53.5 KB
3.jpg    39.5 KB
4.jpg    45.6 KB
DavidMGA1600 Avatar
DavidMGA1600 Silver Member David Lake
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1935 CycleKart Great Britain
1960 MG MGA "Dads Car"
1961 CycleKart Race Car "Team Ferrari"
In reply to # 23892 by Kelly Wood After a day of work, and some thought, I figured I'd attempt to make this frame work. I really don't want to build another yet. Build too many projects, never finish one is how it goes with most... including me.

Anyway, some trimming, etc.

It'll work. Yep.

Thanks for a'lookin.

Kelly, i might be a good idea to make a quick mould of this rear end so you can sell/offer it to others. Looks great.

David

1960 MGA 1600 Convertible,
Gold Coast, Australia.

jameskilmer57 Avatar
jameskilmer57 James Kilmer
Ames, Iowa, USA   USA
That canoe idea is a good one. I've been stressing over bending metal or making a fiberglass buck(which I may still do) or forming wood strips over stands, but this stimulates my thinking in other areas. Thank you for sharing.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1937 CycleKart American

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links