CycleKart Tech Forum

Top speed

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JTremain Avatar
JTremain Justin Tremain
Oak HArbor, Washington, USA   USA
Anyone else use a GPS/speedometer app to check for top speed? What numbers have you hit and with what gear combo?
We got up to 43mph with a 10 tooth/54tooth combo. Got a trick up our sleeve to get a bit faster, but thats being developed in the top secret lab! Haha

"Magic Man"
"Cole Trickle"
"NightHawk"
Team Doin It Wrong

1927 Nash Modified: Legion Special

1929 Fiat Gypsy
"The terror of Tieton"
"The 1965 911 of cyclekarts"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Why, I believe that number would be classified at this particular point in time.

Smoky Avatar
Smoky Silver Member Don Schmok
Salmon Arm, BC, Canada   CAN
My GPS showed 51KPH on our double-loop, paved test track. But then had to slow quickly for a hard turn. It was great fun, and there was lots left, but sadly ran out of room.

I've just resurrected my GoPro, and will be looking to get the CK out for some filming, must remember to have the GPS along too.

Will arrive in Tieton two weeks from today.

Yahoo, Don

1929 Riley Bitsa

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Justin, 43 mph with a 5.4 ratio on a 23.188" tire means the engine would
only be turning 3365 rpm.
Don't know what engine you're running, but any of the Honda GX's or
Clones are typically governed at 3600 rpm and by simply moving the
limiting spring a notch you should be able to get close to 5000 rpm.
That would put you at 63.9 mph....given enough level and length to
open it up.
dg

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
You're going to be left in the dust at Tieton with that ratio. 10/60 or 12/72 seems to be the preferred ratio. If you remove the governor you'll get valve float at higher RPMs, those tiny valves will only pass so much air. The easy solution for the valve float is a couple of heavier springs, actually it's the only solution.

Of course you'll need a lot of running distance to get up to speed, a nice 10/72 ratio will get you a top end of apx 40mph but quick enough that you won't be eating dust. Slow for corners, accelerate to the next one, etc.

JTremain Avatar
JTremain Justin Tremain
I can't remember what the diameter is off the top of my head, but our tires aren't as tall as the normal tires

"Magic Man"
"Cole Trickle"
"NightHawk"
Team Doin It Wrong

1929 Fiat Gypsy
"The terror of Tieton"

JTremain Avatar
JTremain Justin Tremain
I guess we'll find out!

"Magic Man"
"Cole Trickle"
"NightHawk"
Team Doin It Wrong

1929 Fiat Gypsy
"The terror of Tieton"

CmdBentaxle Avatar
Justin, if those are the hides you were running last year, I doubt their more than
22 inches tall. I also don't remember that car being a slouch on acceleration. No one
can reach top speed in the Grand Prix anyway as the straights just aren't long
enough.

Denny, those calculations are based on perfect power transfer without any load. NO one
ends up achieving anything like those top end estimates. I am running a stage 1 ungoverned
Predator ( about 5000rpm) at 10/60, 22.8" tall Shinko's and low and behold, about 47mph
like alot of others.

Bentaxle

1954 Chevrolet 3600
Understand about drag Dave. Drag induced by miss alignment causing tire scrub,
the friction of the tire in contact with the road surface, some parasitic drag due to
wind resistance, friction at the bearings and drive train. Still, you should be within
10-15% of the calculation. Your combination "ideally" comes out to 56.5 mph and
I'll bet on a half way decent level straight you cam pull somewhere in the middle
to upper 40's.

As fur as the clone turning 5000 rpm, here's my feeling. I won't get into who I voted
for this last election, but over the years I've been pretty good at spotting who's telling
a truth and who the bull shooter is. Youtube is loaded with BS artists that post just to
hear themselves talk. But...there are a few that really do know what they're talking about.
Here's one of them.
Stock Predator, and here's the simple mod:

The proof is in the pudding as the old saying goes.

dg

CmdBentaxle Avatar
Man, I have watched and re-watched those exact videos and those gov spring positions he recommendeds are the ones mine came with stock! And, with the screw backed out, as he says,
she does come within what seems like only a few hundred rpm of the non-governed speed.
Now, I'm running stock valve springs because I really don't want much more than 5200 or so.
And in truth, I never have found out the true top speed because after 45 the gain becomes very
slow and I'm always out of road so who knows, with a full mile I might get into the low 50s.
Didn't get into the Bennett this year so top end will remain a mystery for now

1954 Chevrolet 3600
I'm sure you and the hot rodders on the forum understand this Dave, but it
might be of interest to some of the newer guys.
The stock cam is designed so the peak torque/horsepower curve is around
the factory recommended 3600, that's why the drop in power at the higher revs.
There in lies the problem with a single ratio in the drive-line. The torque converter
does act to vary the ratio at the lower speeds as you accelerate, by keeping the engine
close to the sweet spot but once it's locked up and you start to push the engine past
it's peak, its all up to the ability of the engine to breath. And it probably isn't breathing
to well at 5000 with a stock cam, kind of like it's got asthma.
You would easily break 50 or 60 in a relatively short distance with a stock Honda or clone
if you had a second gear to change into once you past the sweet spot.
But then that gets rather complicated, doesn't it. A study of the multiple sprocket setup
on the GN's is interesting. It wouldn't take a lot to run a double sprocket setup on a CK
and just slide a drive dog on a counter shaft from the low speed sprocket to the
high speed sprocket. However, that would put you in the non existent shifter class.
dg

CmdBentaxle Avatar
Oh yes. You can feel that another full gear would easily get another 10 mph. Bear in mind that 3600 rpm
governed speed is not a reflection of peak HP. It is set to match most of the equipment applications these engines are marketed for. With just Jetting, air cleaner and exhaust these 6.5 hp engines will dyno
nearly 10 hp at around 5 grand, with the stock cam! After that however, get ready to spend $$$ and probably lose low end grunt in the bargain.

JTremain Avatar
JTremain Justin Tremain
I don't have a tach so I have no idea what revs were hitting, but I can tell you that after driving a bone stock engine last year and a hopped up one this time, my butt Dyno says it's faster! Haha it pulls pretty good up to top speed and doesn't feel like power really drops off in higher rpms, although we don't have much seat time yet

"Magic Man"
"Cole Trickle"
"NightHawk"
Team Doin It Wrong

1929 Fiat Gypsy
"The terror of Tieton"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-11 10:53 AM by JTremain.

DoinItWrong Avatar
DoinItWrong Anthony Gurganious
Oak Harbor, Washington (WA), USA   USA
1929 CycleKart Italian "Fiat Gipsy"
Not exactly sure why we would be eating dust. Last year we were't mechanically sound, and we broke in every event. (Yep. EVERY event!) We believe that we've solved every problem we had last year, and we've made modifications to hedge against parts we saw break on competitor cars. (That orchard is ROUGH!) But having said all that, I felt like we were competitive last year on a completely untouched (other than the governor) clone engine.

This year, we read and reread the rules and made sure we stayed within them. We like being a little different, as you can see by our team name. So we like running the little tires. Our overall diameter is 21 inches. And we're running the 10/54 combo. Justin and I aren't mathematicians, but we're pretty good at guesstimating, and we believe that our combo with tires puts us just about even with everyone else. His question about top speeds was just to feel out how close we were to make sure we don't embarrass ourselves again this year.

We absolutely enjoyed seeing all you guys last year, and the energy around here is through the roof. A wise man told us last year that we needed to make a pretty car. So, this off-season, we worked on that. We look like a couple cavemen banging on rocks while we work on it, but hopefully we end up with something that honors cyclekarting and our muse at the same time.

We look forward to seeing you in Tieton in a couple weeks!

-Anthony

El Diablo (Anthony Gurganious)
1/2 Owner
1/2 Builder
1/2 Driver
1929 Fiat Gipsy
Team Captain: Team Doin' It Wrong

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 24605 by DoinItWrong Not exactly sure why we would be eating dust. Last year we were't mechanically sound, and we broke in every event. (Yep. EVERY event!) We believe that we've solved every problem we had last year, and we've made modifications to hedge against parts we saw break on competitor cars. (That orchard is ROUGH!) But having said all that, I felt like we were competitive last year on a completely untouched (other than the governor) clone engine.

This year, we read and reread the rules and made sure we stayed within them. We like being a little different, as you can see by our team name. So we like running the little tires. Our overall diameter is 21 inches. And we're running the 10/54 combo. Justin and I aren't mathematicians, but we're pretty good at guesstimating, and we believe that our combo with tires puts us just about even with everyone else. His question about top speeds was just to feel out how close we were to make sure we don't embarrass ourselves again this year.

We absolutely enjoyed seeing all you guys last year, and the energy around here is through the roof. A wise man told us last year that we needed to make a pretty car. So, this off-season, we worked on that. We look like a couple cavemen banging on rocks while we work on it, but hopefully we end up with something that honors cyclekarting and our muse at the same time.

We look forward to seeing you in Tieton in a couple weeks!

-Anthony
No sneak preview?????
Brian

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1938 CycleKart American

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links