CycleKart Tech Forum

Top speed

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Is this the same car, or did you guys build another gypsy?
That car had it's issues last year but it was obviously quick around town with that setup.
There was no dust eating that I saw. Had it been reliable, who knows?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JTremain Avatar
JTremain Justin Tremain
Oak HArbor, Washington, USA   USA
Same chassis, new body. We're currently wrapping up the beautification process now!

In reply to # 24614 by CmdBentaxle Is this the same car, or did you guys build another gypsy?
That car had it's issues last year but it was obviously quick around town with that setup.
There was no dust eating that I saw. Had it been reliable, who knows?

"Magic Man"
Team Doin It Wrong

1929 Fiat Gypsy
"The terror of Tieton"
"The 1965 911 of cyclekarts"

DoinItWrong Avatar
DoinItWrong Anthony Gurganious
Oak Harbor, Washington (WA), USA   USA
1929 CycleKart Italian "Fiat Gipsy"
Hahaha! If you saw where we are right now with only 2 weeks to go, you'd all be shaking your heads at us. I will say that we've gone with a completely metal construction this year. We paid way more attention to the lines of the car and gave it a much lower profile. Getting in and out of it will be a slower process this year than last. We used parts off my old race motorcycle, staying true to the cycle portion of cyclekart, as well as the spirit of using sourced parts. We straightened our bent rear axle from last year, and we aren't popping chains now. We think we've solved the overheating issues we were having last year by sending the exhaust out of the tail and heat wrapping the exhaust pipe. We're running a conical air filter instead of the stock box. We modified the steering in an attempt to reduce bump steer. We strengthened the front axles to prevent snapping in the orchard. We removed weight everywhere we could, with the exception of the drivers. (We both admittedly like beer too much for that.)

To be honest, the only things that remain from last year are the chassis and springs, the wheels and tires, the steering wheel, and the rear axle and sprocket. Literally everything has been removed and reworked.

But here are a few shots during our build. The first is a comparison of the old body to the new. Take note: the old body is on the floor.
Put the kids away boys, the second shot is of her naked.

El Diablo (Anthony Gurganious)
1/2 Owner
1/2 Builder
1/2 Driver
1929 Fiat Gipsy
Team Captain: Team Doin' It Wrong

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
18946851_10213076083357627_2135545647_o.jpg    34.5 KB
18946851_10213076083357627_2135545647_o.jpg

18983170_10213098368714747_293765529_n.jpg    58.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
CmdBentaxle Avatar
Oh, that's more like it!
But a heap of work left.
I won't keep you.

rhauck Avatar
rhauck Randy Hauck
Yakima, Washington, USA   USA
1934 CycleKart German "Silberpfeil"
Can someone tell me more about this? I am thinking I need to do this. I feel like I am being held back a bit on the engine at 3600, and it just seems to want just a little more. I have a Honda gx 200.

"Don't know what engine you're running, but any of the Honda GX's or
Clones are typically governed at 3600 rpm and by simply moving the
limiting spring a notch you should be able to get close to 5000 rpm"

Any help on this will be appreciated.

JTremain Avatar
JTremain Justin Tremain
In reply to # 24661 by rhauck Can someone tell me more about this? I am thinking I need to do this. I feel like I am being held back a bit on the engine at 3600, and it just seems to want just a little more. I have a Honda gx 200.

"Don't know what engine you're running, but any of the Honda GX's or
Clones are typically governed at 3600 rpm and by simply moving the
limiting spring a notch you should be able to get close to 5000 rpm"

Any help on this will be appreciated.

It's basically I little gear that engages when the engine hits roughly 3600rpm which then, I believe, limits the amount of fuel. Here's a couple good videos to check out

Dennis has a pretty good series of a videos adding performance parts to his engine and he covers removing the governor in one of them. If you plan on doing an upgrading I suggest watching them all.

Here's another one from red beards garage.

"Magic Man"
Team Doin It Wrong

1929 Fiat Gypsy
"The terror of Tieton"

CmdBentaxle Avatar
There is a sprung screw that limits the throw of your throttle linkage. As it comes out of the box,
that screw is set to allow about 3/4 throttle. Back it out or remove it completely and you will notice
quite a difference. Your governor will still function. Watch the videos posted in Denny's post a few
back.

rhauck Avatar
rhauck Randy Hauck
Yakima, Washington, USA   USA
1934 CycleKart German "Silberpfeil"
thanks for the info on increasing the rpm, I plan to make this adjustment this tonight.

JTremain Avatar
JTremain Justin Tremain
Forgot about this post and thought I'd give a quick update. Luckily we weren't "left in the dust at Tieton." In fact to our surprise it was the opposite. We won our first two heats, we're on the way to winning the grand pre before we ran out of gas doh! won the Gordon Bennet, and won the first heat in the Campbell cup, there was no final race as the event was cancelled due to an accident that occurred. Luckily the driver involved is fine!

So, it turns out our crazy gearing ideas were quite successful.

In reply to # 24562 by carChips You're going to be left in the dust at Tieton with that ratio. 10/60 or 12/72 seems to be the preferred ratio. If you remove the governor you'll get valve float at higher RPMs, those tiny valves will only pass so much air. The easy solution for the valve float is a couple of heavier springs, actually it's the only solution.

Of course you'll need a lot of running distance to get up to speed, a nice 10/72 ratio will get you a top end of apx 40mph but quick enough that you won't be eating dust. Slow for corners, accelerate to the next one, etc.

"Magic Man"
Team Doin It Wrong

1929 Fiat Gypsy
"The terror of Tieton"

PDXBryan Bryan Dickerson
Troutdale, Oregon, USA   USA
I think you guys dialed it in just about perfect. Your kart always seemed to be running in it's happy place and was as fast, IMHO, as any CK ever needs to be. If it were mine, I'd refine the details and wait for everyone else to catch up for some good wheel to wheel action!

DoinItWrong Avatar
DoinItWrong Anthony Gurganious
Oak Harbor, Washington (WA), USA   USA
1929 CycleKart Italian "Fiat Gipsy"
Magic Man and I followed the build guidelines and got lucky. We went back and forth on the gearing for about a week before settling on one. The plan is to bring a new engine (in the box) to Tieton next year with our stage 1 kit, and perform an engine build demonstration for anyone who wants to see. We aren't arrogant enough to think our way is the only way, but we've seen questions about how to do some of the work, and we want to help anyone we can.

El Diablo (Anthony Gurganious)
1/2 Owner
1/2 Builder
1/2 Driver
1929 Fiat Gipsy
Team Captain: Team Doin' It Wrong

JTremain Avatar
JTremain Justin Tremain
Tha J's for the kind words Bryan! Thats pretty much our plan, just make it look more like the original car.

In reply to # 25142 by PDXBryan I think you guys dialed it in just about perfect. Your kart always seemed to be running in it's happy place and was as fast, IMHO, as any CK ever needs to be. If it were mine, I'd refine the details and wait for everyone else to catch up for some good wheel to wheel action!

"Magic Man"
Team Doin It Wrong

1929 Fiat Gypsy
"The terror of Tieton"

rodder-rick Silver Member RICHARD WOOD
MONCTON, New Brunswick, Canada   CAN
1929 Ford Model A "MYTFINE"
1934 Ford Model B "BOOGIE"
1954 Chevrolet Corvette "EXCESIVE"
1976 Chevrolet Monza "SPYDER1"    & more
The new GPS speedos are great......I've been using "AutoMeter Electronic Speedometer and GPS transmitter" in my street rods for the last 4 builds. The ease of installation and immediate use without calibration is fantastic. I plan to use a small version speedo and the same GPS in my first cycle kart that should be completed by this November (so I can drive it in the local "Santa Clause Parade"winking smiley. I am lucky enough to have an old abandoned airstrip nearby which is now only used for commercial warehousing. There is one useable space approximately a mile long that can be accessed at a rate of $10/hour for motorvehicle testing. I will post my results when available....... I build Shriner parade vehicles occasionally using the same Honda drive trains as outlined in most cycle kart literature......the Noble sits on the roof of the fiberglass muscle car replica to drive. I usually use a 10 tooth/ 72 tooth combo with the mini kar's 12 inch outside diameter wheel...these get up to 35 mph. By going to smaller and smaller axel gear (40 tooth or less?) I have had one that went 49.97 mph in the eighth mile drags.....and not with these old bones at the controls!!!!!!!!!!! My cycle cart will have 10 tooth-54 tooth-18x3 Honda wheels.....I havn't taken the time yet to calculate a top speed on the straight. It will be a "surprise" the day I run it for the first time......but I'm confident it will be a "helmet-on speed"! I tend to like acceleration better than speed, so I can see changing to maybe a 72 or 80 tooth gear so I can have "my eyeballs push back into my scull" on accelleration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : ) : ) : ) .....rodder-rick

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

2016 CycleKart Custom

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links