CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

front spindles

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ga.bob Bob Taylor
Perry, georgia, USA   USA
Good morning! I would like to know what the most commonly used front spindle size is? I have 5/8 spindles already, but can make 3/4 if that is needed. I intend on racing this cart if that helps. I have searched all I can for a definitive answer on this, but keep coming up short. Are the bearings for 3/4" hard to find?, is 5/8" sufficient. I am using the Honda wheels per specs.
Any help on this would speed up my build! thanks in advance.

Bob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
I think everyone is going with the 3/4, even though the bearings are harder to find. the bearing has to be 37/9or10/19.05 those measurements are all in metric.

I made 20mm spindles for mine, those bearings are available at all bearing industrial places.

You might be able to find the 19.05 bearing part # in this thread, http://www.cyclekartclub.com/phorum/read.php?2,710

minitici Avatar
minitici Douglas Anderson
Dunfermline, Fife, UK   GBR
1937 Austin Seven "Hamblin Cadet MK2 Special"
1967 Other Kit "Cox GTM Coupe"
1968 Other Not Listed "Raven 750 Trophy Racer"
1969 Land Rover Series IIA "88" Series IIa Land Rover"    & more
Most problems with front spindles appear to be caused by people welding the spindles onto the upright.
A lot appear to just be using Ht bolts welded on.

Much better to machine a spindle from good quality steel and press fit/bolt to the upright.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Vintage Kar Co. makes a beefy spindle that is very well made, and not expensive.
Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-20 07:59 AM by Woodysrods.

ga.bob Bob Taylor
Perry, georgia, USA   USA
My question was more in what the overall Karts are using. I know there are a lot of vendors for them. I was not real pleased with the bearing choices for 3/4" having to shim them. I have the capability to build my own as I said, but if the 5/8" are working fine, there would be no need to build or buy new.

Bob

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, Arizona, USA   USA
1924 Ford Model T "Viscount Vinson Special"
1927 CycleKart American "Mono Wasp"
I have the Azusa spindles on my first kart and they are 3/4" they work well but have some play in the king pin.
This "play" can be reduced with a sleeve, one of our members uses the flexible hose from a drip irrigation system.

No problem getting bearings for these from www.realworldcycling.com
MR190537LLB $5 each when I bought them last. 19.05MM (3/4"winking smiley x 37MM x 9MM

You will need to make a spacer to go between the bearing out of a piece of 3/4" ID pipe.

They work great for the Honda wheels and the 3/4" spindle.

The VKC spindles are 5/8" and you can buy them with the proper bearings and spacers.

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

Antioch Bob M
Langley, BC, Canada   CAN
1929 CycleKart French "LR2 Special"
Bob

....early karts & even some today used the original Azusa 3/4" gokart spindle kits....and those who reproduce them like northern tool. (Chinese made) When vintage came on the seen thy spec'd 5/8", but they use - decent quality steel & the welds are very good. They also have bushings built into there spindles & thus there is no slop in the fit...and as mentioned the bearings fit well.

My first kart has the Azusa ones & there is some slop in them...I have a set of the vintage 5/8" ones on the self for my next kart.

Rosengart LR2 special

http://rosengart.rzaplaser.com/rosengart-lr2-build/

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
I found this drawing on another post.

It is something I want to try to retrofit to my kart. I think it will correct some of the compromises that we make using go-kart spindles. The geometry should help these little karts really handle very well.

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

Attachments:
CK steering.JPG    38.3 KB
CK steering.JPG

Dave 46 Robert Davison
Toppenish, WA, USA   USA
I'm new to the karts but old to front end work. The drawing that Steve Vinson showed is pretty much the same concept you will see on kingpin inclination on any front end setup on any front suspension design diagram. It is something we need to factor in though.
Actually one needs to figure out the whole caster,camber, king pin inclination toe in thing when you set it up.

On the 5/8 vs 3/4 spindle diameter, is there any record of broken or tweaked (out side of from a crash) spindles while running the 5/8? Failure of the 5/8 spindles would be the main factor in using 3/4 if there is a failure rate. Wheel bearing failure may be more due to the method of packing the bearing, installing the bearing an sealing the dirt out than axle size.

Antioch Bob M
Langley, BC, Canada   CAN
1929 CycleKart French "LR2 Special"
Dave

I have seen a few in the front go....mostly 3/4".... one was custom made & I don't know what size it was. 5/8" didn't enter the picture until the Vintage kart guys brought them in. The bearings are a much tighter fit (on all the ones I have seen it worked on).... the 3/4"... not so much.

I have seen a lot of Vintage karts & raced one.... they all have been tight with no slop. Not aware of them braking any 5/8" front ones....the only problem I have seen was on one of their rear wheels while racing.

Rosengart LR2 special

http://rosengart.rzaplaser.com/rosengart-lr2-build/

Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
The drawing does not illustrate it very well however so you know I welded a ½ thick x 1-1/8 dia. boss to the outside (wheel side) of the spindle, drilled through both than reamed to size for the 5/8”axle press fit. No welding on the wheel side of the yoke only on the inside of the yoke. This should eliminate a possable failure at the weld joint between the axle and spindle.

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

Dave 46 Robert Davison
Toppenish, WA, USA   USA
The drawing shows you did your homework. I could easily see that when I was photographing your kart at Tieton. Everything about it said "this dude knows what he is doing" Seeing your build thread later proved that true. Not throwing cubic money at it but using years of knowledge to build a very nice Kart.

That helps the next person who is trying to figure out how to set up his axle and spindles do his/her homework.
The drawing that Steve showed above is basic front end design but may be new to the majority. That may start a guy just planning on building his axle to study the whole concept of front end geometry for a straight axle front end. What works on a T bucket or hot rod Model A should apply to a Kart to some degree. Having it track right going down the straight, corner better and straighten it's self out after leaving a corner help a lot in the enjoyment of the kart and probably quite a bit as far as lap times go. That part doesn't cost any extra it just takes a bit more time.

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, Florida, USA   USA
1900 Ford Model 01 "Quadricycle"
1908 Harley-Davidson Pre-War
1965 AC Cobra
Can anybody give me the approximate length of the axle required beyond any spacer needed. In other words, what length do I need to accommodate the wheel hub and nut.

Thanks,
Rick

gearguy Charles Schultz
Oil City, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
I posted drawings of most parts earlier this year. You can find the answers there.

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
The Azusa sprindles are 3/4 x 4.25"

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1924 CycleKart Great Britain

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links