CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

some photos of my Kart so far.

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ga.bob Bob Taylor
Perry, georgia, USA   USA
Here are some shots of what I have so far. about a weeks worth of work off and on. Specs are, frame 1 3/4 square tube. all corners 45 cut. with a 4" drop at both ends. Front axle is 1 1/2 tube . front spring is a reverse eye 41 dodge truck 1 1/2 wide. all shackles and related pieces are made by me so far. Waiting on wheels, convertor, bearings etc. all of witch are in the mail.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Interesting, mine when I start building will be in 2" square 1/16" wall, simply because I've got enough to build the chassis, and it won't be used for anything else. It's the same weight as the usual 3" x 1" but obviously not as stiff vertically, though stiffer horizontally. You've done a great job, I'll follow your build with interest.

Chris

LowellR Silver Member Lowell Roemke
Tempe, Arizona, USA   USA
I thin you are going to need to reinforce the engine mounting. When the engine torques, it will twist the mount and loosen the chain.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ga.bob Bob Taylor
In reply to # 24808 by LowellR I thin you are going to need to reinforce the engine mounting. When the engine torques, it will twist the mount and loosen the chain.
LOL, Yea, I had to start somewhere with that plate. gussets and support cross members will be added as I get parts in. Have to have all the goodies here to check fitment. I have went overkill on some hardware, as I don't intend to baby this thing.

Bob

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Before you go too far, check the fit with the TAV attached. I had my engine mount made out of a beefy chunk of channel but had to cut a big piece out of the bottom to fit my TAV. It didn't turn out so hot so I made a whole new mount.

ga.bob Bob Taylor
Made some progress the last few days. I am not a wood guy, so my body will be aluminum and light gauge steel. the area above the engine cover will be fiberglass using the lost foam method. The 1" x 1/8" steel strip is easy to bend, light, and strong when tied together.
I will be using button head torx screws to hold the panels on framework. wheels are just placed on the axle, no bearings yet.

ga.bob Bob Taylor
A bit more done on the rear section.

And a shot of the front axle with wheels mocked up.

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Moving right along Bob. At the rate you're traviling you should have her on
the road shortly. Hope you can find some like minded Cyclekart guys in
your area so ya'll can get together.
What sort of shop do you have there? Looks like you've got all the proper
equipment to fabricate about anything out of steel.
Keep the photo's coming, we always learn from what others are doing.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Very nice Bob, I like your body cage. I call that the "heavy" wire cage.

ga.bob Bob Taylor
Thanks Guy's. I made gained some more ground this AM. I decided to go with a stepped steel floor on this one, My first thought was plywood, but hey, I had some 18 gauge sheet scraps laying around, so why not. I added two cross members as welI so the whole thing is light and strong.also found out there must be a variance between the Honda wheels. I ordered and received the 37mm x 19.05 bearings. unfortunately, my Honda front wheels carry a smaller OD bearing. the ID was great for the spindles, but no way is that 37mm going in my hub. back to the search I guess?

chrisenamels Avatar
Bob,

You've probably got hubs that take 35mm OD bearings, that's what the pit bike wheels I'm thinking of using take. The bad news is that the biggest bore available in 35mm OD is 17mm. So unless there's enough meat on the hubs to take them out to 37mm, and you can get someone to do the job, you're stuck with sourcing more wheels. From memory this problem has cropped up before on the forum, others will no doubt chime in.

Chris

ga.bob Bob Taylor
Chris, don't know if this will help you or not, but I just ordered the 6202-2rs bearings. they are 35mm OD and 19.05 ID. ebay seller had them for $16 each. My wheels are supposed to be Honda cub wheels? I know they used the same wheel on a lot of their bikes back then.

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-25 01:01 PM by ga.bob.

chrisenamels Avatar
Thanks for that Bob, but my searches for 6202-2rs show them as 15mm bore. Having had another look 17mm is still the biggest metric bore I can come up with, I think I'm going to go with them. I'll use motorbike front wheel spindles and fabricate the sliders myself, as I'm doing a Morgan, so sliding pillar front end.

Chris

ga.bob Bob Taylor
In reply to # 24884 by chrisenamels Thanks for that Bob, but my searches for 6202-2rs show them as 15mm bore. Having had another look 17mm is still the biggest metric bore I can come up with, I think I'm going to go with them. I'll use motorbike front wheel spindles and fabricate the sliders myself, as I'm doing a Morgan, so sliding pillar front end.

Chris
I certainly do not want to share bad info! this is the seller and specs of what I ordered. I hope they are right!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6202-2RS-12-3-4-Bearing-19-05x35x11-Sealed-19-05mm-Bore-Ball-Bearings-14229-/401165877811?hash=item5d67598233:g:xpAAAOSwV0RXu1Ka

LowellR Silver Member Lowell Roemke
Tempe, Arizona, USA   USA
On my last car, I was able to find sealed flanged bearing 3/4" ID by 1 3/8" OD at a local bearing shop. They worked real well for me. I'm sorry, I don't have a part number and I have since sold the kart.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

2015 CycleKart Great Britain

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links