CycleKart Tech Forum

Austin Seven Special

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ericsuttie Eric Suttie
Cupar, Fife, UK   GBR
Hi Guys,

Greetings from Fife in Scotland. I've been a member for quite a while and have been quietly building a Cyclekart as yet another retirement project.

This project I have enjoyed as It was a tremendous challenge, to build a body with only a chassis as reference and my memory going back to my childhood warching Specials held together with string and blind faith. Coming from a family of engineers I suppose it was inevitable, but having been an audiologist I had to put the brain cells into a different gear. Always having tinkered with cars since my youths, I built this for my son who goes Hillclimbing. He has hankered after a pre WW2 Special for a long time, now it's his and I've remained my garage for other projects.

Having seen so many beautiful creations, or as we call them trailer queens, we set out to replicate a hard used wee car. It is a runner and is being tweaked to make it run better. This is great fun, if anyone is interested, I'd be happy to swap experiences. I am but an enthusiastic amateur and don't have the professional lingo but have discovered a facinating new hobby

Cheers, Eric Suttie

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0661.JPG    55.1 KB
IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG    46.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0317.JPG    48.4 KB
IMG_0384.JPG    46.2 KB
chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Looks great Eric, another UK kart finished, as soon as I can I must get on with building my Morgan.

Chris

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Great Job!thumbs upthumbs up
Woody

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
23citr0 Charles G
Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia, Canada   CAN
Really nice work.
I am in Nova Scotia and involved with a small group building 3 Karts.
I used to own a 1934 Austin Nippy - your radiator shell looks familiar - is it a real A7?
Also - the front axle and springs - are they from Cyclekarts UK?
I have been trying to buy parts from them but gave up because they were not responsive.
BTW I worked in Glasgow for 4 years - retired to Nova Scotia from there in 2006
Regards
Grant Slinn

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
A hardy welcome to Eric and Grant, took you boys awhile to come out of the wood work.

Nice ride Eric! smileys with beer

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Yes, Welcome Grant
I too have always had a soft spot for Austins and Nippys.
Looked very hard at the Austin 7 Specials before settling into my Miller 122 build.
You have 3 in builders in your group so far?......That is Great!
We here out west are doing our best to promote CK building in Canada, and hope to put on a Canadian event sometime in the near future.
Please post pictures and keep us up to date with your builds.
Good Roads
Woody

ericsuttie Eric Suttie
Cupar, Fife, UK   GBR
Hi Grant,

You are right the front axle and a good few bits were purchased from CK UK. They are notoriously hard to contact, really victims of their own success. The only way I know is to keep nagging, Mark is a very decent chap and an expert. His Chassis's are beautifully made.

Again you are right, the radiator shell in a genuine A7 and is about 90 years old and I suppose I could say my build is a re-build with new parts being grafted on to a genuine part. (I wish). The shell was found on eBay going cheep, it came from a chicken farm and had a rich covering of guano, which surprisingly when gently cleaned off left the shell as it is now, used but clean. We are looking for a suitable A7 badge to finish it, they are a bit like hens teeth, staying in the chicken theme.

The engine is a Villiers, Honda clone and is giving about 6.7 BHP as far as is guessed after the usual mods after removing the governor and a straight through exhaust.

The tail lid was sourced out to an acquaintance who has and can operate an English Wheel as it was beyond my limited skills. I did manage the scuttle's compound curves, but that was that. My son and I certainly tried very hard to make the lid ourselves and came close but it was never going to be pretty. That's where experts are best!

This was to be a fun project and we learned a lot of tricks we could use again for another project, a Bentley post was special?

With best regards,

Eric

ericsuttie Eric Suttie
Cupar, Fife, UK   GBR
Hi Everyone,

I'd like to thank all the people who have been in touch, it encourages an old bodger like me to better efforts and as well as being a source of advice in difficult times.

We hope to do demo runs at hillclimb meetings, next year unless the car can find a class to run in! It just needs another or more. Might even start a craze!

Happy building,

Eric

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1930 CycleKart Italian

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links