AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, Florida, USA   USA
1900 Ford Model 01 "Quadricycle"
1908 Harley-Davidson Pre-War
1965 AC Cobra
I designed this rack and pinion for my Miller-Ford Indycar cycle kart. It was about 25-30 bucks in parts and a few hours labor. I think it'll work fine. No u-joint is required and it's a simple installation. Changes the typical 1/5 to 1/4 turn lock to lock steering to almost a full turn of the wheel lock to lock. Watch my little video and tell me what you think.

I'm not looking to make money off this, but if anybody wants one, let me know. I'll help out my fellow cycle kart enthusiasts. I found a rack gear on ebay that's four feet long. That's enough to make eight of these.

Rick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
Rick,
Nicely done looking forward to seeing it installed and your first test drive.
This is what I find so enjoyable thanks for showing us and sharing your initiative to build one.
Al

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
That's actually quite cool, and looks to be more robust than the mini sandrail type that are
coming into use. I would want to make some kind of a boot to keep debris out of it though.
In the dirt a surprising amount of stuff gets in, even though the cockpit.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Neto Ernest B
Berlin, Ohio, USA   USA
In reply to # 26610 by CmdBentaxle That's actually quite cool, and looks to be more robust than the mini sandrail type that are
coming into use. I would want to make some kind of a boot to keep debris out of it though.
In the dirt a surprising amount of stuff gets in, even though the cockpit.

I can imagine that it wouldn't take much of a stone to stop movement there, if it got onto the rack. I do realize that this is to be tilted, but would it work to invert this, with the rack on top? (That way bits of sand or stones could not fall into the cogs on the rack.)

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
1965 AC Cobra
Thanks, Al. I have several ideas for my kart that are departures from the norm. It's going to be a fun build and if everything works like I predict, it'll be a blast to drive fast.

Rick

P.S. The first time I looked at your name, my eyes played a trick on me. I thought it said "Not-so Chinese" guy. LOL

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
1965 AC Cobra
I thought about the debris problem, and either some type of cover would work, or running it inverted would work too.

Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
Rick,
That happens quit often the story on the name is on my Journal.
Al

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Rick,

Running inverted presents a problem, that would reverse your steering, which would be interesting to say the least!. I'd be inclined to go for a light metal shield, long enough to cover the full extent of the rack travel.

Chris

dBlast Avatar
dBlast Vince De Blasi
Maple, Ontario, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 26616 by chrisenamels Rick,

Running inverted presents a problem, that would reverse your steering, which would be interesting to say the least!.

Chris

Not if you switch the spindles left to right and right to left putting the spindle arms pointed in a forward direction. You can see this type of configuration with some go-karts when they have the pitman arms pointed up. (and that is why go kart suppliers sell spindles as "side 1" and "side 2" instead of left and right)

Vince.

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Fair point Vince, but that puts the rack forward of the axle, and so probably outside the bodywork and exposed.

Chris

CmdBentaxle Avatar
Not my body work. Still, I think I like the shield idea more. Bending one up out of thin aluminum
would be a snap, and the geometry works better with the steering shaft above in my case.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
I just bought my second 11" Mini rack on eBay a couple of weeks ago.
$92.00......they are beautiful!
Woody

CmdBentaxle Avatar
Your second? Would this be for the belly tank or are you not so sure how the
first will last?

DoinItWrong Avatar
DoinItWrong Anthony Gurganious
Oak Harbor, Washington (WA), USA   USA
1929 CycleKart Italian "Fiat Gipsy"
Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship! I love it! When we were designing our car the first time around, I drew up something with a similar design, but much cruder than this. I will admit that my concerns with my own ability to pull it off led to our simple purchase of a golf cart rack, but I am happy to see someone bring one of these to life! Bravo on making your own parts and even more for offering it up to fellow karters. Hats off to you sir!

El Diablo (Anthony Gurganious)
1/2 Owner
1/2 Builder
1/2 Driver
1929 Fiat Gipsy
Team Captain: Team Doin' It Wrong

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
1965 AC Cobra
Whoa, Anthony! Too many comments like that and my vintage leather helmet won't fit any more.

I'm glad you like it. Stay tuned, there's going to be some real surprises with this build.

Did you notice the steering wheel I built?

Rick

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

2015 CycleKart American

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links