CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

My First Build

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

peejster Prasantha J
Lake Forest Park, Washington, USA   USA
As I mentioned in the new members introduction thread, I am new to all this - not only new to cyclekarts but also new to any kind of metal work. I am really looking forward to the building process; I've always wanted to learn how to weld so this is a great project to learn on.

I have an inspiration car in mind - 1932 Alfa Romeo P2 - but also think I may change my mind several times before I am ready to build the body so I am taking the approach of building a fairly generic rolling chassis. We'll see if my chassis ends up limiting my car choice once its all said and done.

Here is a drawing of my frame. I ran out of room to draw the motor mount plate on the rear cross member but other than that, this is it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Frame.jpg    14.2 KB
Frame.jpg

peejster Prasantha J
Not a bad day in the cyclekart workshop today. I got my frame drawn onto a piece of MDF and got all the frame components cut to size. It actually lines up when laid on the outline I drew on the MDF! Probably pretty pedestrian for most,but I thought it was really cool to be able to cut metal.

The first photo is a view from rear (bottom of the photo) to front (top of the photo). A little difficult to see the outline I drew so the second pic shows the front in a little better (and since the tip of the frame got cut out of the image I scanned in my first post). The last couple are the cut frame rails laid out on the outline.

Attachments:
IMG_20171125_111047.jpg    25.2 KB
IMG_20171125_111047.jpg

IMG_20171125_111100.jpg    21.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_20171125_163610.jpg    27.2 KB
IMG_20171125_163622.jpg    25.3 KB
Smoky Avatar
Smoky Silver Member Don Schmok
Salmon Arm, BC, Canada   CAN
Looking good, this is an exciting time, as the project gets underway.

Keep us posted with further developments.

1929 Riley Bitsa

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
fly44 Avatar
fly44 Don Nothwang/c
Hillsboro, Oregon, USA   USA
1921 CycleKart German "Chitty"
1921 CycleKart German "Chitty"
Feel free to ask questions,many of us older people like Dennis,Brian Dennis B, love to answer them.Chitty was quite a challenge but its a runner now,raced Tieton with the best of them and showed them who is FAST!!! Tieton Grand Prix 2015 on youtube,had such a great weekend while still working out the bugs

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Glad to see you at it! And sounds like your enjoying learning new things!
Good Roads
Woody

Little French Avatar
Little French Silver Member Fabrice B
PUY DU LAC, Charente maritime, France   FRA
Hello peejster

Very good idea to start with a "generic" chassis because during construction, ideas arrive and jostle !
All the info is not gathered at the same time, and the discovery of this new hobby puts the brain in shock, It happens that between the starting drawing and the beginning of the bodywork, we change 3 or 4 times of final model ....
Let yourself be guided by the inspiration, and good luck for your project !
And welcome !

Fabrice

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
I like that you have chosen a good basic foundation and just got after it.
I think it's a recipe for good steady progress and indeed will allow options along the way.
Try to avoid getting bogged down with indecision. You can (will) always mod things later if they aren't
just right, so just have fun and build. The P2 would be great!

Dave

peejster Prasantha J
I got a few hours today to work on the cyclekart. I got the holes drilled out for the rear axle. 2.25" diameter on the outside of the frame rail and 1.125" diameter on the inside of the frame rail. I need to order the flangettes to mount the axle bearings; I'll wait until they arrive before drilling out the bolt holes.

Slowly but surely...

Prasantha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-04 01:10 AM by peejster.

Attachments:
IMG_20171203_151936.jpg    43.5 KB
IMG_20171203_151936.jpg

IMG_20171203_153140.jpg    36.7 KB
peejster Prasantha J
Didn't get much time to work on the cyclekart this weekend. All I was able to get done is drill out the bolt holes for the rear axle bearing flanges. I am using 5/16" bolts so I drilled the holes out to 3/8". (I realize that some of these details aren't of interest to everyone but this thread also serves as my notebook; if I don't capture the details here, I will soon forget them and then have to go through the "design" process all over again in a future build.)

Attachments:
IMG_20171208_162709.jpg    40 KB
IMG_20171208_162709.jpg

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
We all love pictures!
Woody

peejster Prasantha J
Even though I didn't get much hands on time this weekend, I was able to think more about my design and I focused on the brakes. I did see several discussions about people feeling that they needed more braking power than what they were getting from the mechanical disc brake. Seemed like most were going hydraulic. I gave that some thought but, instead, I am leaning towards a drum brake. Given that there is a significant amount more contract between the shoes than the drum compared to the mechanical disc brake, I would think that the drum brake would provide quite a bit more braking power.

I'll do some searching on the forum this week to see if there are any discussions on the drum brakes. If anyone has any thoughts on this matter, I welcome all comments.

Thanks
Prasantha

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
It wasn't so much the braking power of the cable brakes, but the fade due to the small pad area that led to the move to hydraulics. A drum would be more prone to fade than a disc of equivalent braking power, having said that I'm going with a drum simply because came with the scooter that will be the back end of my Morgan. A hydraulic disc would probably be easier to mount than a drum, and certainly lighter.

Chris

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1957 CycleKart Italian

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links