CycleKart Tech Forum

Let's Talk Mufflers

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MrBrian22 Brian A
G, Tennessee, USA   USA
2016 CycleKart American "BC Flyer"
So I have a cheap screw in muffler on a header pipe, and I'm just not happy with how it sounds. I plan on re-routing my exhaust so it's more down and out of the way, but before I do, I thought I'd see what everyone else was doing. Has anybody used any mufflers for motorcycles or atvs on their karts? I'm wanting to quiet it down and make it a deeper tone, because my ears can't handle the higher pitches. I have a nephew that I'd like to ride around with me, but I'm afraid that he'd be scared of the loud noises. So right now, I'm thinking about using my current muffler, but make a slightly longer header, and have a dual tail pipe coming out of it. I know that won't get it too much quieter, but I'm afraid to put a ton of money into getting a larger muffler with disappointing results. What's everyone's thoughts?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Antioch Bob M
Langley, BC, Canada   CAN
1929 CycleKart French "LR2 Special"
Brian, there are a lot of different ways people have used.

I ended up buying a kit from NCR racing, fitted it to my kart & welded the pieces in to get it exhausting where I wanted. In the end it will be a trade off with what kind of space you, how you can route it & have & how cool you can keep your engine. There will be several threads on the site discussing mufflers etc if you have a quick search.

Rosengart LR2 special

http://rosengart.rzaplaser.com/rosengart-lr2-build/

MrBrian22 Brian A
G, Tennessee, USA   USA
A buddy of mine says he has a muffler off a Honda 300 that I can have. I have high hopes that it'll work

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MrBrian22 Brian A
G, Tennessee, USA   USA
Don't laugh, this was just for testing purposes. I'm going to reroute it under the kart, but I wanted to check the sound before going all in. Interesting results, with open exhaust, my cell phone said it was at 80 dB. I then put on my little cheap screw in muffler and it went down to 77 dB. I then welded this muffler that a buddy gave me off a Honda 300 3 wheeler, and it went down to 70 dB, at full throttle. That's not counting any tailpipe (which I plan on adding) It still sounds a little loud without hearing protection, but I think a 10 dB drop is worth the weight of the muffler and the hassle of making it. Hopefully I'll get it properly routed and mounted soon, and then I'll post an update. The biggest noise I heard was the Torque a verter rattling and clinking some high pitched tones. I'll have to make sure it's all tightened up next time I test

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-27 08:25 PM by MrBrian22.

Smoky Avatar
Smoky Silver Member Don Schmok
Salmon Arm, BC, Canada   CAN
I bought this muffler at the hardware store for $15, it was marked for 8-12 HP Briggs and Stratton. It was in the lawnmower parts section. I’m happy with the sound, not much you can do with a 200cc single.

1929 Riley Bitsa

Attachments:
368E536C-E3EC-4B8D-9DA5-8EE3FF15B0F5.jpeg    54.9 KB
368E536C-E3EC-4B8D-9DA5-8EE3FF15B0F5.jpeg

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 27537 by MrBrian22 Don't laugh, this was just for testing purposes. I'm going to reroute it under the kart, but I wanted to check the sound before going all in. Interesting results, with open exhaust, my cell phone said it was at 80 dB. I then put on my little cheap screw in muffler and it went down to 77 dB. I then welded this muffler that a buddy gave me off a Honda 300 3 wheeler, and it went down to 70 dB, at full throttle. That's not counting any tailpipe (which I plan on adding) It still sounds a little loud without hearing protection, but I think a 10 dB drop is worth the weight of the muffler and the hassle of making it. Hopefully I'll get it properly routed and mounted soon, and then I'll post an update. The biggest noise I heard was the Torque a verter rattling and clinking some high pitched tones. I'll have to make sure it's all tightened up next time I test

Weight?
Your CK will be doing a Wheelie with that behemoth thing on the back?????eye rolling smiley
Woody

MrBrian22 Brian A
G, Tennessee, USA   USA

Here's the progress I've made on it, I need to buy a die grinder to make it prettier. It sounds pretty nice

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-28 10:56 PM by MrBrian22.

fly44 Avatar
fly44 Don Nothwang/c
Hillsboro, Oregon, USA   USA
1921 CycleKart German "Chitty"
1921 CycleKart German "Chitty"
Mine are straight pipes

Attachments:
DSC03163 (1).JPG    47.5 KB
DSC03163 (1).JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

2010 CycleKart Custom

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links