CycleKart Tech Forum

New bloke

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Martin HL Avatar
Martin HL Martin Hill Lonergan
Armstrong, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Got "hooked" a couple of days ago during an Okanagan hot rod garage tour when the last shop we visited was Brian's in Kelowna BC Didn't think a CK would be what I would be thinking about most at the end of that day. A few hours you tubing and googling and bang, I was drawing a rudimentary plan of a build imaging skidding through a rutted track in some orchard somewhere. Met Brian a few times before through hot rod scene.
I'm away at sea 6 months a year so getting to any event for anything is tricky so CK ing (?) may be a challenge aswell.
Into my hot rods/old cars but nothing high end. Mid way through a 58 chev suburban build and close to completing a 46 Merc sedan, really hoping to have that on the road 2018 so that's the priority at the moment (only taken 8 years). At least CK parts can accumulate in the mean time once I pull the trigger. Main thing will be finding somewhere to use/play with it once done.
Brian is going to be (he may not know it yet) my guru. Thanks Briandrinking smiley
Martin

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RROLDSX Randy R
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
Hey Martin, welcome to the club. Brian will be an excellent CK guru. Also, Dennis Thomas has put together several step by step videos on his builds. I’m just now near starting my build after a year of other things along with parts accumulation. It can take awhile for some of us so I suggest you start now. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to build.

Randy

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Welcome to the Forum Martin
Let the Fun Begin!thumbs upthumbs up
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Smoky Avatar
Smoky Silver Member Don Schmok
Salmon Arm, BC, Canada   CAN
I took my CK to Armstrong a few weeks ago, so my friend Martin could drive it.

Different Martin, but I can come by in the Spring, when the snow is gone.

1929 Riley Bitsa

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Hope you feel welcome, as you were only a member of the Forum for 30 minutes before you received "Welcomes" from 3 of our B.C. Chapter Members.
Way to go guys!smileys with beer
Brian

JTremain Avatar
JTremain Justin Tremain
Oak HArbor, Washington, USA   USA
Welcome!
Whenever you have questions post them up and you'll be sure to get 17 opinions lol but that's the beauty of it, there's no right or wrong way to build a cyclekart!

"Magic Man"
"Cole Trickle"
"NightHawk"
Team Doin It Wrong

1927 Nash Modified: Legion Special

1929 Fiat Gypsy
"The terror of Tieton"
"The 1965 911 of cyclekarts"

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Hi Martin
Just sent you an email.
So have you watched today latest Videos???
So nice to see Canadian Flags on the Forum!
How is your "Inspiration Car search going..........sort of took you as one that might want to represent "Jolly Old" at Tieton???
Austin 7 Special
Brian

Attachments:
austin-7-coupe-petrol_21438150.jpg    54.9 KB
austin-7-coupe-petrol_21438150.jpg

austin-7-monoposto-racing-car-coupe-1933-100-miles-59950_image6_300.jpg    20 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Martin HL Avatar
Sooooo here's the (present) inspiration. A 1928 Austin 7 Special that is known as the "Uffindel" after Ron "the wizard" Uffindel. This car was apparently the first car to cross the start line (not finish line) at the first Australian Grand Prix in Bathurst in Australia. If you google Uffindel the details come up from when the car was last sold.
He apparently drove it from his home, raced it, then drove it home again on quite a few occasions and did well with it.
The Austin 7, from what I've read, was the first mass produced cheap small car that started the demise of the cycle cars. Funny that?
I made a scale drawing and had a few problems with measurements, here's why.
USA made retractable steel tape where 12" is 12"
Canadian made wooden 12" rule where 12" is 12"
Chinese made plastic 12" rule where 12" is 12 3/8"
No wonder Chines things don't always measure up to your expectations. That things is going in the bin.

Off to Brian Woods tomorrow to show him my homework and get some good tutoring.

Martin

Attachments:
image.jpeg    23.2 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    24.5 KB
image.jpeg    30.2 KB
image.jpeg    34.8 KB
Martin HL Avatar
My homework, hope teacher is happy with it?

Attachments:
image.jpeg    26.3 KB
image.jpeg

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Might have a use for that plastic Chinese yard stick.......It is called "getting the attention of unruly (pardon the pun) students"!
Brian

Martin HL Avatar
Well, just over a week into the cycle kart dealy and I'm nearly there. Almost ready for Teighton 2018 I'm thinking.
So if anyone needs help with their build-just pray it's not me doing the helping?

Attachments:
image.jpeg    51.9 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    42.6 KB
image.jpeg    39.8 KB
image.jpeg    39.9 KB
RROLDSX Randy R
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
Just needs a few tack welds here and there, yer done! It’s all
in the visualization.

BTW, your ahead of me.

Randy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-05 03:53 PM by RROLDSX.

Martin HL Avatar
I'm thinking duct tape instead of welds, that way at the end of the day I can just pack it up and stick it in the trunk. There's 5 road signs in the pictures that I'm hoping to use, probably as the floor and seat back with the signs themselves showing on the inside. Use what ya got right.

It's funny that I'm getting into another project (2 unfinished & one more needing help) just after the wifey said we should spend more time together. Didn't go over too well when I told her that she should come over to the garage more often? Yeah, don't say that.

Martin

RROLDSX Randy R
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
I went 25years without allowing a female in my garage. After my heart attack, I thought maybe I should change that rule.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Road signs for building material!? Hmm, I know where I can find lots of those.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1927 CycleKart French

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links