CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

1928 Desoto, out of the box build

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

A.J. Foyt Avatar
A.J. Foyt Joey Verpoorten
Battle Ground, Washington, USA   USA
So I have officially caught the bug. I've chose the 1928 Desoto as my platform. My goals are to really think outside of the box with this build. I want front and rear suspension, good braking, front engine and lots of complications because when I build something that's what always happens. I look forward to building a kart and racing it with you guys. There won't be much progress for a while but I am sourcing parts. I picked up 4 rims/wheels for 140 bucks locally today. So now I have to decide on aluminum chassis or chromoly tube steel. Yes, I'm already making it hard to build lol. I also plan on buying a tig machine and learning how to do that type of welding. I've got a start so let's hope I can keep moving forward. I've got motivation now lol. Till then, A.J. Foyt signing out.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
1406247464529.jpg    45.3 KB
1406247464529.jpg

Rhysn Rhys N
New Zealand   NZL
Hi Joey, good to hear that you doing something. As a suggestion seeing as you are doing something so different, I would check with Johnny to make sure that you can run with the G'ville guys being the leading go to event guys.

A.J. Foyt Avatar
In reply to # 7258 by Rhysn I would check with Johnny to make sure that you can run with the G'ville guys being the leading go to event guys.

I would assume that I should be just fine. Judging by the cars at Tieton I will still keep the same motor, wheels, and chassis demensions like wheel base and width to the specs they use. Im pretty set on how I would like to build it, its the whole reason im building it like that because I like to be different. I can tweak things though if I am told in advance or I know. Its going to be some time before I start the build. I need to engineer the front engine setup first.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Antioch Bob M
Langley, BC, Canada   CAN
1929 CycleKart French "LR2 Special"
Looking forward to seeing how it comes together.

Rosengart LR2 special

http://rosengart.rzaplaser.com/rosengart-lr2-build/

Dennis Thomas Avatar
phoenix, arizona, USA   USA
1919 CycleKart Lightweight "A.V. Monocar"
1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer "Old Number 27"
1930 CycleKart German "The Boulevard Cruiser"
1937 CycleKart American "37 Studebaker Modified"
Rhysn Rhys N
New Zealand   NZL
Hi Joey, you know what "assume" stands for smiling smiley
It's the front engine set up that I would be checking before I went too far.
I would want to see you there again!

In reply to # 7260 by A.J. Foyt
In reply to # 7258 by Rhysn I would check with Johnny to make sure that you can run with the G'ville guys being the leading go to event guys.

I would assume that I should be just fine. Judging by the cars at Tieton I will still keep the same motor, wheels, and chassis demensions like wheel base and width to the specs they use. Im pretty set on how I would like to build it, its the whole reason im building it like that because I like to be different. I can tweak things though if I am told in advance or I know. Its going to be some time before I start the build. I need to engineer the front engine setup first.

A.J. Foyt Avatar
I was lucky enough to find some more detailed pictures of my car in life size form. With that said, I am going to ditch the shock idea and go to just a leaf spring suspension front and rear. The original car has friction shocks so I may go that rout. It also has the square tube frame so i will go that way as well in steel to keep it like the original. I-beam front axle not tube. I have also decided that I will use wood and fiberglass to make the car. Being a Finish Carpenter by trade it seems like a good idea grinning smiley I just hope it turns out as good as one of Dennis's cars.

fredvv44 Avatar
fredvv44 Fred Veenschoten
Pensacola, FL, USA   USA
1976 GMC Motorhome "Alice"
2003 JZR Trike "Canoe"
The I beam axle should be fun to make. I think there is a post here somewhere that shows one being built from flat bar and cut out plate.

Fred V
www.jzrusa2.blogspot.com

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Two 1-1/2" X 1/2" channels welded back to back will make a super strong I-Beam axle.

JohnnyD J D
USA   USA
Hey Joey,

Don't sweat "the rules" too much. If they don't bend far enough they'll break.
They only exist to keep things fun. If what you want to do is fun the rules will magically accommodate it.

On the front engine… we have probably all tasted that temptation. I know I have. I will just say there is a fair bit of unfavorable math that comes into play. Mechanical losses and extra weight. If you do go for it, you can tilt the GX200 up to vertical (believe me, it will work). That may help a lot with making things fit. You will need to re-manifold the carb but the radiator hose approach employed on the DeDion worked out just fine. If you do, you might consider the square slide Mikuni… (love it). I asked to go in back at NAPA and rummaged through the hoses until I found the one that had a section that did the right things for me.

- Johnny

A.J. Foyt Avatar
Rules, they keep me in check. Though my outside the box thinking will almost certainly push them at times. I will enjoy this build. I have been researching every waking moment that Im not busy and have come up with some different ways to do a few things. Now I just have to make them work.

A.J. Foyt Avatar
Over the past week I have been designing my front engine setup and the drive train design. It's been rather tough to get nailed down but I have came up with a fairly simple setup that in theory should work well. It's fairly simple and doesn't add to much weight. Basically the drive line and right angle gear box is it. Should be an estimated total of about 15 lbs of added weight from the standard setup. I kept most of the measurements that Dennis has so kindly gave to me. I bother him all the time for simple stuff and he is always there to help. I could imagine not having that resource for my first build. It would make it more tough that's for sure. I also wanted to get the design down before I blindly bought parts. I think I'm fairly set on this design because of its ease and simplicity. There will be no suspension in the rear. I could do it but wanted it more simple.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-05 11:25 PM by A.J. Foyt.

A.J. Foyt Avatar
Finally I was able to upload a photo into photobucket. Sometimes I wish the interwebs didnt exist, it would save me unwanted frustrations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-05 11:26 PM by A.J. Foyt.

fredvv44 Avatar
fredvv44 Fred Veenschoten
Pensacola, FL, USA   USA
1976 GMC Motorhome "Alice"
2003 JZR Trike "Canoe"
In reply to # 7477 by A.J. Foyt Finally I was able to upload a photo into photobucket. Sometimes I wish the interwebs didnt exist, it would save me unwanted frustrations.

Can you give us a link to it?

Fred V
www.jzrusa2.blogspot.com

DavidMGA1600 Avatar
DavidMGA1600 Silver Member David Lake
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1935 CycleKart Great Britain
1960 MG MGA "Dads Car"
1961 CycleKart Race Car "Team Ferrari"
In reply to # 7486 by fredvv44
In reply to # 7477 by A.J. Foyt Finally I was able to upload a photo into photobucket. Sometimes I wish the interwebs didnt exist, it would save me unwanted frustrations.

Can you give us a link to it?

Ya adding frustrations…...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

David

1960 MGA 1600 Convertible,
Gold Coast, Australia.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

2016 CycleKart American

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links