CycleKart Tech Forum

1928 Desoto, out of the box build

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Tom Knight Avatar
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
1911 CycleKart Racing "Yellow Peril"
Lots of racer go karts add a tee in fuel inlet line near carb & run it back to fuel tank, same as a automobile system. Worked on kids little go kart....Tom

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
A.J. Foyt Avatar
A.J. Foyt Joey Verpoorten
Battle Ground, Washington, USA   USA
The pulse fitting is right behind the carb on an aluminum spacer block. It is now plugged off and no pump is being used. I dont think I have a fuel issue anymore since I pulled the pulse pump off, but more test time will tell.

I ran it last night and the same issue is going on with the brakes. Super hard pedal feel, about a 1/4" travel and crap for braking force. It does okay slowing me down and thats a stretch to say that. In no way is it close to locking the tires up. So now I believe its not air in the system since results havent changed. I am going to adjust the pads out some to give more pedal travel just for the heck of it. Then I may move the leverage point, though I am putting some serious force on the master cyclinder so I doubt its that.

Cars going on the back burner now. I have an engine swap to do in a Jeep, my niece decided to drive it while it was making horible noise she said. Well its stopped making noise and stopped moving so I sourced out an engine and now its pushing the Desoto aside. Not happy about it but im the nice uncle and the only one with the skills and tools to do it. Yeah me lol.

A.J. Foyt Avatar

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Hey A.J. Foyt, (Joey)

Hows the cart coming along? I know you were doing family things, but have you had time to work on the cart? Like to here how its finishing up.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

A.J. Foyt Avatar
Sooooo I was actually going to post today. After Tieton it had been parked. I brought it out a couple days ago to let some people try it out. It ended with my front tire meeting a trucks bumper and tire. I was not the driver, but I was seriously bummed out. The front axle is shot and will eventually need rebuilt. It's twisted beyond crazy even after the work I did to it. Here is the list of what it bent.

Axle
Brand new front wheel
Leaf spring perch/mounting point
Both sets of leaf spring shackles
Steering wheel
Passenger radius rod
Tie rod

See, seriously bummed. It didn't look bad in the first car pictures but when I took it off you can see how twisted it is. I worked on it today and managed to get The front axle close to straight, as well as the rest of the parts. I can at least drive it again. I plan on building a new axle and a new set of radius rods now. Lots of work, but gotta be done. Might just keep them for spare parts to take to events with me just in case.

On another lighter note I've fixed the brake issue. I relocated the leverage points and it's now super nice, so no the brakes weren't the issue lol.

Attachments:
20170806_204014.jpg    40.1 KB
20170806_204014.jpg

20170806_204332.jpg    47.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20170808_165904.jpg    28.2 KB
20170808_212100.jpg    50.9 KB
PDXBryan Bryan Dickerson
Troutdale, Oregon, USA   USA
Oh Man,
So sorry! Who did this? Let me at em! Just joking...sort of.
It reminds me of when I spent loads of time and energy installing a beautiful (if I do say so myself) oak floor only to almost immediately put grooves in it with the refrigerator!
Knowing you, the DeSoto will probably be even better after you fix it.

Good luck.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Last thing I always say, "Don't forget, the brake is on the left".

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
When we were running midgets on the dirt especially, I'd bet that every other night
we'd be replacing some bent part. In fact we made up an axle jig and radius rod jig
and kept plenty of spares.
It you're going to build a CK light enough to comply, you're going to bend it. I'm very
surprised that we aren't hearing from a lot more people about damage to these
CT90 wheels, which are not designed for the side loads that they now experience.
So far, Nick over on the east coast is the only one that's admitting he's having wheel
troubles from the hard knocks his kart is getting off road.
I'm also surprise that we're not seeing more bent steering knuckles. A 1/4" U-shaped
bar isn't all that strong and is easily bent in a vice. A steady load as experienced on
a paved track is a lot different than the extremely high loads that the front end
encounters in off road hammering.
Also...the thin solid rod steering linkage that I see doesn't appear to be adequate for
off road abuse. I'm using tubular 4130 with threaded bosses welded in for my tie rod
and drag link. That's worked on real race cars for a hundred years.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, Arizona, USA   USA
1932 Morgan 3 Wheeler "BME Special"
That SUCKS!

And that is why I have no interest in letting anyone else drive mine....

Selfish?

Yes

Too much time, sweat, blood, and cash involved to let someone else screw it up...

Bow

Cut it with and Axe, Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match

A.J. Foyt Avatar
Here's the deal. I have no problem letting people drive it. In my opinion it's how people get hooked and involved with the Cyclekart lifestyle. My first seat time was in someone else's kart. My first race was in someone else's kart. I probably would have never been involved if it weren't for someone's hard effort to build one and let me drive it. That said, I will be a bit more selective. It can be fixed, it will be fixed lol. Then I can mob around my property in style!

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
I completely agree Joey. To me, a big part of the whole thing is sharing the experience with
interested people. At least 20 people have driven mine so far. I like to think that if I'm too afraid to let anyone else drive it, I probably went too far with the build for it to be fun.
Still, it is a wakeup call to size up people's ability a little before we just thow em the keys.

Smoky Avatar
Smoky Silver Member Don Schmok
Salmon Arm, BC, Canada   CAN
Today I put mine in the trailer and went 40 km to a friend's house so he could try it out.

I think we have another builder!

He wasn't impressed driving around his lumpy lawn, so he took it out on the road, and came back with a big smile!

1929 Riley Bitsa

Antioch Bob M
Langley, BC, Canada   CAN
1929 CycleKart French "LR2 Special"
Couldn't agree more about letting people try them out. Everyone trying mine has been really great about it....

I have noticed that at some races.....a second pickup driver who may not know the owner well doesn't always take it easy on a kart & some push it far more then there driving skills are up to.

Rosengart LR2 special

http://rosengart.rzaplaser.com/rosengart-lr2-build/

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1938 CycleKart German

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links