AutoShrine Sponsor

Pierro Taruffi Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffs, UK   GBR
1923 CycleKart Vintage "Voisin Laboratoire"
Motor with "stage 1" mods
GTC TAV
4 new wheels with hubs ready to fit
25mm rear axle
Brake (hydraulic with master cylinder, disc etc)
Lots of other bits.

All of this is in Tamworth UK. I do travel quite a bit so we may be able to meet if wanted.
Contact me on cyclekartsnz@gmail.com

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
resarf1963 Avatar
resarf1963 Fraser Duncan
Wragby, Lincolnshire, UK   GBR
Hello

I am just starting a new build, how much are you asking for the bits and pieces ?

Fraser

Rhysn Rhys N
New Zealand   NZL
SOLD. I now have no CK bits except what is in Seattle. I have some ideas of what could be done with the Voisin to make something that might be more appealing seeing as most seemed to be very uncongratulatory.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
It may have been a case of a little too much of the Avant-garde, but people should know that it was remarkably light. A little over 200lbs if I remember correctly.
Just try and build one that light. It's not as easy as it sounds.

RROLDSX Randy R
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 25897 by Rhysn SOLD. I now have no CK bits except what is in Seattle. I have some ideas of what could be done with the Voisin to make something that might be more appealing seeing as most seemed to be very uncongratulatory.

I dunno, your story blew me away. What you did and the timeframe you did it in was pretty astounding. Don't take silence as a negative thing, some people are just in awe or simply not informed or may even be jealous. People with your engineering skills are hard to reckon with.

Stay grounded though, you have the World's Fastest Indian legacy preceding you.

Randy

Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
Rhys,
So what are your plans for the Voisin?

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 25898 by CmdBentaxle It may have been a case of a little too much of the Avant-garde, but people should know that it was remarkably light. A little over 200lbs if I remember correctly.
Just try and build one that light. It's not as easy as it sounds.

Some times the trade off between strength and durability, light is not always the best decision???
It is a fine line to walk, as Rhys found out in Tieton this year.
But, this CycleKart game has a large learning curve, as the "Doing It Wrong" guys found out in 2016, but came back in 2017
"Doing it Right".
Good Roads
Brian
"Woody"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-10 08:59 PM by Woodysrods.

Rhysn Rhys N
New Zealand   NZL
It's late at night here in the UK and time for bed. I am VERY offended by one of these posts. I said I would not come back on the forum, but I feel the need.
Absolutely nothing broke on the Voisin, "treading a fine line" to be honest there are rude words that could be used. A.N.Other almost forced his way into a drive of the car at the Campbell Cup, drove practice, and after the chain adjustment (only problem of the weekend other than someone else who put on a faulty throttle cable end), told me he thought there might have been a chain adjustment issue, but didn't bother to mention it, so I got one corner into the event. Pissed off, you bet. Fault of design or construction, Bull crap. No wonder I am over the comments some people make on this forum.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Apparently it was me that has set Rhys off this time (judging by the PM he sent me re: this subject????)
I in no way meant to be hurtful with my remarks, nor were they aimed directly at Rhys........Get a thicker skin mate if you wish to continue to play this game!
But, if you did think that I hurt you (who I consider a friend) then for that I humbly apologize (something I also don't do often!)
From what I did witness while in the pits, was a substantial amount of time spent on the Voisin, repairing, adjusting and duct taping things together prior to each event. My conclusion that "light may not always be best" was drawn also from the fact that I did not see the lightest car at Tieton in the winners circle at any of the 6 racing events.
Again, "Not Saying this to be hurtful or to put anyone or anyones CK down" But merely stating what I saw and derived from what I saw.
Remember, even though I was there as a "registered driver" my CycleKart is still in the building stage (Unfinished)sad smiley
Thus, I was still gathering as much intel as I could from the rides and ideas of others, to assist with the completion of my own CK.
So Rhys.......Don't be pissed off.
And we are all glad you were not physically hurt too badly from "your" incident at Tieton.
Hope to see you back our side of the pond again next year....USA & Canada
Good Roads
Brian

CmdBentaxle Avatar
I think I could say the great majority of the taping and fixing of the Voisin was due to the damage it received in the accident, as opposed to a general lack of reliability. If you tip a lightly built car over, it's
likely to suffer some damage. But we don't build them to tip over do we? The fact that the machine is so light probably saved it, not to mention it's driver from greater harm than they received. I saw no other car
layed over but if they had, would they have been able to basically drive away from it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-11 09:57 AM by CmdBentaxle.

Rhysn Rhys N
New Zealand   NZL
To answer. One rivet pulled out of the tail in the orchard practice lap, so rather than have any more a lavish amount of tape was added. Adjustments "after each event " which didn't happen, was replacing some rivet nails with split pins, adding 2 lock nuts which should have been there, general spanner check, and adjusting where the throttle pedal was. That was it. If that is breakages I will accept it.
Remember this car didn't exist on the Tuesday before the event, and anyone who saw my medical condition on Wednesday thought I would not be present.After the event I am just allowed back to a half day work. DVT and infections.
It drove for the first time on Thursday evening, Drag race was first event, Driving test the second. No damage done after my driving error. Did I take it easy after that, of course. I got 1 race in Tieton, was marshalling for the rest of the day while some others got up to 6 races or more. Gordon Bennet was next behind Dennis Thomas. (Started off the very back). Passed 3 cars up the first hill in the dust. Personally I got to the first corner in the orchard before the chain dropped.

I guess if you judge whether a CK is a success by whether it was on the podium (non existant) at Tieton, there were very few successful cars smiling smiley At least my car was there!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-11 03:34 AM by Rhysn.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
My mistake Rhys, I thought that scrape had taken the heads off a few of those rivets back there.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Hi Rhys
I don't understand how a simple general comment (just a point of view or from a personal observation) about trade offs one makes when fabricating something with both weight and strength in mind, has escalated into into your personal defence and history of your Cyclekart build.
I truly wish I had never used your name in my post as an example of light weight CycleKarts (but it was the lightest one at Tieton) and was looked at extensively by those who were there due to its uniqueness in both design and construction.
There was definitely no intention on my part to even suggest that it was a poor build or of lesser quality than the other CKs that were in attendance at Tieton.
And I definitely did not intend to invoke you into lashing out at myself and others that offered there assistance to you over the weekend (Sorry I even
suggested my friend that offered to act as your second driver in the Campbell cup....because you now have painted him as a pushy bastard???)
What sets you off man?
Lighten Up!
This is a real Fun Hobby and a Fun Forum...........Enjoy it!
I still want to be your friend and appreciate the help you have already given me with my build.
And I sincerely hope that we can get back on topic here and you find a suitable buyer to enjoy your Voisin.
Good Roads
& Smooth Tracks
Brian

Antioch Bob M
Langley, BC, Canada   CAN
1929 CycleKart French "LR2 Special"
Voisin was def a well built kart & did have some skin that came loose. Probably weighed 60lbs less then mine too.

It certainly was out on the track more then my kart was...

Rosengart LR2 special

http://rosengart.rzaplaser.com/rosengart-lr2-build/

Rhysn Rhys N
New Zealand   NZL
My apologies for "lashing out". End of discussion. Hey when someone says they think that the car was worth $100 (yes a hundred) it's obviously not worth worrying about. What came loose on this was the rear "cosmetic bit" which was made of printer alloy, ie the stuff they make newspaper printing things from. It was never going to last. To be honest I made absolutely no effort to make it light, it just came out that way. Performance, of course light should help, so should a reasonable motor. Nuff said. When the comment about things breaking was made in reference to a light car, given that mine was over 40lbs lighter than the next, I guess it was relatively easy to jump to a conclusion.
Enjoy the hobby, just remember that in some cases racing doesn't improve the breed. For me some areas of CK have crossed that line. Off to race a real car tomorrow.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1926 CycleKart French

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links