CKC

The Pub - Off Topic

Pedal car

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

stegla Stephen G
Guernsey, Channel Islands, UK   GBR
Decided to start a new thread for the new Pedal Racer. Hope to get a more type35 Bugatti look.

It's going to have front suspension and brakes. Treadle or cycle pedals ? ............undecided.

The main chassis members are 2 laminations of 3/8" x 1 3/4 ash, steamed to get the bend.

Composite leaf springs and steel front axle.

Photo's 1 and 2 the steam box. Steam is from a wallpaper stripper.
Photo3 A simple jig to shape the chassis.
Photo4 Front end components.

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-09 06:16 AM by stegla.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSCF1955.JPG    57.7 KB
DSCF1955.JPG

DSCF1956.JPG    37.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSCF1957.JPG    36.8 KB
DSCF1958.JPG    42.7 KB
moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Hello Steve,
Nice start of new project!

It looks to me as wooden variant of Bébé-Bugatties building now by Mick and Vitaliy!
Style and precision is there!
But, didn't you wrote that you do not have more palces for new four-wheeld toys?

Regards, Zoran

P.S.: You should open this topic in "Custom Karts" sub-forum - because I would get another ban for writing too much in PUB (after eleven o'clock?)

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

stegla Stephen G
Zoran,

You are correct, I must stop making 4 wheeled toys. I am addicted.
One of the cars lives with my brother-in-law to be played with by great-nieces and nephews.

Here is a recent experiment.............

I ground away a flange on a wheel hub and, still hot from the grinding, knocked out the cones and then fitted a flanged bearings.

Not all makes of wheel hub allow this.

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-11 04:44 AM by stegla.

Attachments:
DSCF3224.JPG    58.2 KB
DSCF3224.JPG

DSCF3225.JPG    55.6 KB
stegla Stephen G
Here's a pic of the assembled front end.

Tried to design for camber, castor, ackerman and scrub-radius? should be interesting to see how it all works?
Pleased with the spings, they seem to work well.

Steve

Attachments:
DSCF1959.JPG    61.6 KB
DSCF1959.JPG

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
In reply to # 20460 by stegla Zoran,
You are correct, I must stop making 4 wheeled toys. I am addicted.
One of the cars lives with my brother-in-law to be played with by great-nieces and nephews.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a pic of the assembled front end.
Tried to design for camber, castor, ackerman and scrub-radius? should be interesting to see how it all works?
Pleased with the spings, they seem to work well.
Steve
===================================
Hello Steve,
So, instead of 4-wheelers you should start to build 3-wheelers, just for a change and to brake addiction?
If that doesn't work, find more nephews to take older cars?
"The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything but temptation." * Oscar Wilde
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I will try too, to design and construct Ackermann steering geometry - more as fun task than necessity, but who knows...
Many CycleKarts do not have all elements of Ackermann steering and people are satisfied, some even think about anti-Ackermann. However, if Ackermann steering was invented and well used on big steam carriages (road locomotives) in Britain at the first third of XIX century - that shouldn't be too bad for any light vehicle? The same is with differential, steel leaf-springs (could be replaced by "plastic” or plywood), again – invented for road going steam locomotives! (this time I will forget on differential and anything important made of steel)

Please, inform us about development of project that promissed a lot!

Zoran

P.S. (added): Hush-hush - just for your information, I think that my "micro-project" could be a test for full-sized mochet-style velocar for two persons, with pedals and some motorisation (probably electrificated) ... She still doesn't know my very secret and very cunning plan, but she would like one pedal-car like that, I know! (tested her with some cute photos)

Zoran R. Pualić

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-26 12:12 PM by moto-klasika.

stegla Stephen G
Hope you've all had a good christmas, I've managed to grab a few hours in the shed.

Been steaming more wood....................

The body skirting is made from cedar strips, it needed help with the tight radius.

As I had the steam box fired up it was worth making a start on the steering wheel. Notice the metal band, it is essential, without it the wood would split.

The metal band is strapping used by the construction industry and can be bought at most builders merchants.

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-26 08:42 AM by stegla.

Attachments:
DSCF1991.JPG    70.3 KB
DSCF1991.JPG

DSCF1992.JPG    55.9 KB
DSCF1988.JPG    67.7 KB
DSCF1990.JPG    78.7 KB
moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Hello Steve,
Great work, indeed!
I must stop to follow your project, otherwise I wouldn't start mine!
Ciao,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić

stegla Stephen G
[/quote]
===================================
I will try too, to design and construct Ackermann steering geometry - more as fun task than necessity, but who knows...
Many CycleKarts do not have all elements of Ackermann steering and people are satisfied, some even think about anti-Ackermann. However, if Ackermann steering was invented and well used on big steam carriages (road locomotives) in Britain at the first third of XIX century - that shouldn't be too bad for any light vehicle?

[/quote]

I think that Ackermann steering geometry is necessary, even essential, on pedal cars. My first pedal racer had no Ackermann geometry and would slow or even stop going around a sharp bend, however, I introduced Ackermann and the car turns much better.

Found some inexpensive band-brakes on eeebay. They are easy to fit on a bicycle rear wheel as the thread on the drum is the same as the free-wheel chain sprocket.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Petrol-Scooter-DRUM-BAND-CABLE-BRAKE-DRUM-3-5-Inch-4-Chinese-Bikes-/162323852134?

Happy new year!

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-01 05:00 AM by stegla.

Attachments:
DSCF3235.JPG    51 KB
DSCF3235.JPG

DSCF3236.JPG    56.3 KB
DSCF3237.JPG    49.4 KB
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Zoran,

That's the same brake as I've got on the rear of my bike, and very effective it is too. As it's on the left of the bike I’d assumed it had a left hand thread, maybe the inners are available left and right hand threaded.

Chris

stegla Stephen G
Chris,

Glad to hear that these brakes are effective. I wasn't sure.

This example has a RH thread and will be fitted on the left side of the right hand rear wheel (same as your bike?). Braking forces should tighten the thread. It's easy to visualise what's happening when the components are in your hand.

Steve

chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Steve,

Getting myself confused between driving and braking, as you said must be a right hand thread to tighten under braking. Obviously I haven't stripped mine down, haven't ridden it much, but the initial bite is good, presumably it'll fade quicker than rim brakes.

Chris

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Hello to all,
and happy 2017 year, with pleasure in designing and building pedal-cars for kids and possibly something more serious (bigger one for us adults, but still immature!)!
<as I said before, building Nils-auto could be practise for something bigger vehicle for two of us pensioners, which is still cunning plan and top-secret for my wife>
--- ---
Thank you on information about external band-brakes! They were always interesting for me because of low cost, simplicity and classic look, especially painted not chromed. I discussed them with my internet friends, but for bigger and heavier vehicles, so-called HCR (horseless carriage replicas). They are much slower then CycleKarts, but much heavier too, especially with two persons aboard. In spite that discussed band-brakes were stronger, nobody were satisfied with them except for their appearance.

I am sure that shown brake(s) should be good for light and slow kid-car. They looks to me unbelievably cheap, even with transport to Swiss (costs the same as price of brake complete). I am not sure did I understand well how they should be fixed to wheel: removing free-wheel with sprocket and screwing (installing) plate with two holes for bolts that keep the main (inside) body of brake? Then – brake should be fixed to right side of wheel? Or it is fixed on opposite side and keep free-wheel with chain sprocket to propel wheel?

In any case, I would have right wheel free and power only on left wheel with 6-speed dérailleur system for propulsion by chain. If band-bake couldn't be fixed to left side, then I should have it only at right wheel and use as emergency/parking brake, with bicycle's brakes on all four wheels... If could be fixed on left side of wheel, keeping dérailleur system on right side, I would haver two band-brakes at rear wheels and bicycle's brakes at front wheels...

After a few days of relaxation and a few days with guests from Bretagna, I will start building...

Ciao,
Zoran

P.S.: Attached are photos with a few variants of band-brakes, modern and old way

Zoran R. Pualić

Attachments:
band brake-50$.jpg    51.6 KB
band brake-50$.jpg

band-brake- (2).jpg    66.9 KB
band-brake, 1904 CDO.jpg    48.3 KB
band-brake-bicycle.jpg    58.2 KB
stegla Stephen G
It's always a satisfying milestone when your creation first sits on wheels.

The wire spoked wheels are only temporary until I make some wooden 8 spoked Bugatti items.

The body formers are from steam-bent ash, 2 laminations.

Steve

Attachments:
DSCF3241.JPG    82.7 KB
DSCF3241.JPG

DSCF3238.JPG    65.5 KB
moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Hello Steve,
Great development of project! System and quality as for light wooden boats or air-planes!

You are right – vehicle on wheels, even temporary, is important milestone and great inspiration for further work!

Happy and jolly building!
Ciao,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić

stegla Stephen G
A little more progress, with the steering now connected and some structure added.

I'm going with traditional treadle action, not a bicycle action, as less leg-room is needed.

Steve

Attachments:
DSCF1997.JPG    48.5 KB
DSCF1997.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1920 CycleKart Pre War

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links