CKC

The Pub - Off Topic

Pedal car

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

stegla Stephen G
Guernsey, Channel Islands, UK   GBR
Brian, I agree. I am planning to plagiarise the J40 pedal arrangement, as there is an adjustable feature for different leg lengths.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
original.jpg    32.6 KB
original.jpg

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Just too cute.
I had a 49 A40 Dorset back in1968.
Lots of fun with that car.
Paid $30.00 for it.......drove it to school all winter, sold it in the spring of 69 for $10.00
Wish I still had it!
Brian

stegla Stephen G
Brian, a Morris Minor was the best car I have ever owned. It was so economical and reliable, there was never any reason to sell it.
In the end it succombed to rust, however I sold the early number plate for more than the original cost of the car.

Here's a photo of the pedals, the footrest position is adjustable.

Notice that the the pedals are angled, this because of the very narrow Bugatti nose. Earlier I thought that the project might fail from not enough space to fit pedals.

Also is a picture of the pullrod to crank bearing attachment. This method works very well indeed.

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-13 10:04 AM by stegla.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSCF0105.JPG    65.7 KB
DSCF0105.JPG

DSCF0107.JPG    55.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
I used a 49 Morris Rear End (differential) in my "Speedster".
Brian

Attachments:
P1030106.JPG    44 KB
P1030106.JPG

P1030104.JPG    51.4 KB
stegla Stephen G
The fitting of an inexpensive bicycle band-brake was straightforward, it is fitted to the rear non-driven wheel.

Steve

Attachments:
DSCF0109.JPG    46 KB
DSCF0109.JPG

DSCF0106.JPG    59.6 KB
stegla Stephen G
First test drive today.

Alfie is not yet 4 years old and he could reach the pedals OK, with the pedals set all the way back.

An older, stronger child will make this thing move.

stegla Stephen G
The brake is now operating, not sure how effective?

The upholstery was a chore that I'm glad it's over.

Steve

Attachments:
DSCF2000.JPG    42.4 KB
DSCF2000.JPG

DSCF2002.JPG    34.5 KB
stegla Stephen G
This is a puzzle, to me at least.

The first photo with the brake on the left side of the car. The brake is ineffective going forwards, but works great going backwards.

The second photo with the brake on the right hand side of the car. The brake is very effective indeed going forwards but not backwards.

The third photo shows the strong mounting needed to hold the brake.

I remember, motorbikes used to have twin leading brake shoes, maybe it's the leading edge of the shoe that bites???

Steve

Attachments:
DSCF2000.JPG    42.4 KB
DSCF2000.JPG

DSCF2061.JPG    39.5 KB
DSCF2063.JPG    46.5 KB
chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Steve,

I've taken a photo of the same brake on my bike, it's fitted the opposite way round to your installation, band outside rather than inside the drum. Mine's on the left of the bike, so for maximum effect yours should be on the right of the kart which is what you're finding. The reason for the difference in performance is, as with leading shoe brakes, in one direction you get a self servo effect. The rotation of the wheel helps tighten the band on the drum, in the other direction the rotation resists the tightening of the band.

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-10 04:38 PM by chrisenamels.

Attachments:
20170410_151137.jpg    51 KB
20170410_151137.jpg

stegla Stephen G
Chris, thanks for the explanation; I'm pleasantly surprised just how effective these brakes are!

On a treadle type pedal car, backpedalling is an effective brake, however, I'll sleep more soundly now there is a good handbrake as well.

Steve

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
You're welcome Steve, that's what the forum's about, those who need answers ask, those with the knowledge answer, and everyone learns.

Chris

Team classic Brian S
Lyttelton Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand   NZL
Beautiful workmanship Stephen. This is exactly how we used to make our boats. Strip cedar then glass both sides to form a sandwich. Very light and strong. Well done young man. Ps. Great photo of the crew. Brian S.

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Hello Steve,
I was following development of your project during my holiday in Belgrade, with great interest and amusement! You are creative designer and excellent constructor! Automobile is excellent. My shall be quite modest, but more about that in my topic/thread.

Now, a few questions:
1) the main dimensions: wheel base and wheel track (tread), size of cockpit (from back of seat to pedals in middle position, size of opening at top fo carosserie...)?
2) size of pedal mechanism (wanted dimensions at your photos)?
3) what height or/and age of kids could drive it?

I think that some of asked diemnsions you posted before, but not in this topic?

My project of kid-car is postponed a little, because of another project for step-grandson Nils...

Regards,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

Attachments:
CK-stephan's-2.JPG    64.6 KB
CK-stephan's-2.JPG

CK-stephan's-1.JPG    53.9 KB
CK-stephan's-3.jpg    35 KB
stegla Stephen G
Hello Zoran,

Hope you had a good holiday, I'm of on holiday soon.

Overall length 1800 mm
Track 630
Back of seat to pedals 640
Opening at the top 460x560
Pedal to pivot length 260
connecting rod 600 for small kids 675 for bigger kids (can be lengthened as the kids grow)
crank throw 105

My grandson Alfie is almost 4 and he can drive the car. It is a bit big for him which is good! 9 or 10 is the upper age when their knees hit the dashboard.

The car is stripped for painting at the moment.

Steve

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Hello Steve and thank you on detailed answers!

With some of the previous got measures, I could make some sketches during waiting on start of construction.
I will combined it with some tables of measures that I found on internet (sizes of kids from 3-4 to 9-10 years).... I just have a hope that pedal-car would be interesting for kid trough so long period. In opposite case, I could found some other kid to give him/her auot, or to try to sell it.

The first and urgent task is to clean all the weed that became quite wild and big on our parcel of communal gardens - 6 week holiday in Belgrade and here 3 weeks of rain... Neighbours could complain!

In the same time I have to fulfil special order - treasure-box for the same step-grandson: should be full of presents from guests at his baptising celebration...

More from me in my own topic!

All the best for your holiday!

Regards,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1934 CycleKart Race Car

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links