CKC

The Pub - Off Topic

Media Opportunity

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Markgk Mark Kenny
Annandale, NJ, USA   USA
If there is an opportunity to introduce the public on cyclekarts. If so how would you do it?

For example one of our members is going to work with Hemmings to see if they can feature cyclekarts.

I have a family member who has some contacts and she has been successful as a publicist to actually get television feature of interesting stories . I have not approached her until I understand how this kind of process is done.

If you have read a couple of my messages you will see that I I would like to start eight N. East club but we haven't had any success in generating excitement on this subject .

How do you do this type of thing ?

Are the webmeisters interested in being the center of this type of media coverage?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Mark, first build a Cyclekart. Then throw it in the back of your pick-up truck or on a trailer and go to the local car show, maybe father's fun day or similar. Put a stack of info sheets with it and go look at the cars. Then you'll see if there is any interest when you get back.

Markgk Mark Kenny
Annandale, NJ, USA   USA
Victor - I am probably not explaining the potential (albeit low probability) opportunity for CK. I have a relative from NYC that has made her living being a publicist. She has done this for over 20 years. She has gotten feature articles (just recently, i.e. the last year) in the NY Times and on that morning show with Charles Kuralt. I think this is a national opportunity for CK...again a small probability.

I have nothing to substantially contribute to this publicity since I haven't even built or designed a CK. My only value is that I may know someone who could help expand the members of this sport. My goal again is to drive one of these crazy vehicles with others that have the same crazy interests as I do. In the East Coast. Currently there is little interest in forming a club. If this were on TV/Times/whatever then the potential for east coast members would probably increase..big time. This may or may not be desirable to other members who have some leadership roles in this sport.

I will not contact her and request her assistance without an understanding of the desire for this type of exposure or the process within this small circle of enthusiasts.

This could be available but I need some optimism to continue.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Mark, your reservations are understandable.
You get the vibe that part of the reason for the cyclekart scene's obscurity lay in the attitude of many of it's practicioners.
That may be, Some don't like the Idea of the wider audience that major media exposure might bring. We worry about the effect of a big light shown on our activities, or how our little homemade deathtrap cars would be percieved, or god forbid, regulated. Would National coverage stimulate such growth that the exclusivity of the builder/driver standard be corrupted?
Are these concerns legitimate? I believe they are, somewhat. But I remind myself that cyclekarts as such, have been around for about 15 yrs. The famous Road&Track article is really only famous to us. Our karts have not been hidden. They've been roaring around neighborhoods, in parades, and on youtube for years. I honestly think that if you're the type, they draw you. And if you aren't, you're like the vast majority of people, who don't, or won't ever get it.

Markgk Mark Kenny
Annandale, NJ, USA   USA
Dave...I think you make some very, very valid points. I belonged to a Fly Fishing Club for over 30 years. We had no interest in additional members or notoriety. We had 55 members in a club that was the oldest fly fishing club in NJ...over 80 years. It was not an expensive snobby kind of thing...it was just a very small group of guys who enjoyed fishing and having 3 social gatherings (2 picnics) per year. Again, I get it and respect that position. We had rights on a 2 mile stretch of river, so we tried to stay under the radar. Had we tried to expand this club...who knows what would have happened.

This is something different. It is potentially a national thing. It is 100% view-able in the internet by the world. Go on Pinterest and a quick search will list 100's and 100's of CKs.

The tough questions should be approached now. This past time is exclusively in the W/NW/SW. Based upon the current national exposure, it has no apparent long-term interest to anyone east of the Mississippi. Of course it is somewhat established in Europe.

Quite frankly and candidly...most of us will be permanently gone before this thing has some adverse legal dynamics. No one really cares about the legal aspects of this tiny, tiny sport. We had more fly fishing members in our 2 mile stretch of stream than we do in the entire NE corridor. We were (and are) worried about the local township, not the entire United States Government.

R&T didn't kill this sport nor did it change it in any (apparent) adverse way.

Why not invite America to understand, appreciate and experience being 10 years old again? I must be missing something...wouldn't it be cool if we had dozens of national events in all corners of the United States of America?

The Go-Cart movement did not in any way adversely affect this very-cool sport...and this involves 10 year old kids. Everyone cares about 10 year old kids. Does any government agency really care about a few hundred gray hair people driving 6.5 hp glorified bicycles around a hay field?

I propose that we (as enthusiasts) try to encourage others to share in the thrill of building and driving their childhood creation. Am I wrong?

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
I know exactly what you're saying, I know nothing about publicity. There is no better publicity than someone excited about something he has built.

As a cyclecart guy I like things to be home built, salvaged (reused), inexpensive or free. Some of the things we use we have to pay good money for just because there is only store bought parts for that can be used.

So I think the same way for advertising, my truck parked at a car event with my cyclecart in the back is going to raise some questions. If I attend 2 events and get one new guy aboard, job done. If we get ten local guys, that is a lot of carts buzzing around.

Markgk Mark Kenny
Annandale, NJ, USA   USA
Victor - I'd be ecstatic with 10 fellow local enthusiasts... I admire your patience...

Speeddemon Avatar
Speeddemon Louis Poleet
Roslindale, MA, USA   USA
Hi mark just my two cents ideas on this topic/thread how about have your media friend start making a well thought /plan out short documentary on cyclekarts hav all the cyclekart designers/fab/builders go out in there spare time to all there neighborhood schools and other outreach communitys /city/town /country schools/ community centers have low tech 101 classes afterschool demos of there cyclekarts building/design classes? share ther build/fab skills and share how to design/scratch buliding cyclekarts with them and where to safely use/ ride them/etc with the upcoming gen . and also maybe possible hold a ckc forum build off video contest to give away them karts after the cyclekart build off .to the underprivage kidz ?.cheers

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 07:57 PM by Speeddemon.

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1924 Ford Model T "Viscount Vinson Special"
1927 CycleKart American "Mono Wasp"
Our group here in Arizona has had some exposure to national magazines. I responded to a question that I saw printed in Grassroots Motorsport Magazine last year, that led to an interview and a mention in their magazine in a later issue.

Our group attended the first Zip-Tie Drags in Tucson, AZ last January. I sent an email to them and asked if our karts could run on the track and after sending a few pictures and answering a few questions we got the green light. If you look closely at the picture, you will see me and Dennis Thomas on the 1/4 mile drag strip.....39mph top speed LOL.

If you go to the Grassroots Motorsports forum and search CycleKarts, you will see several lively discussions. Join forums like that and post pictures of what you are doing.

We recently had our group in the Fiesta Bowl Parade, as a result we have been invited to a Parade in Gila Bend, AZ.

Just getting the karts out in the public will generate an awareness and that awareness will lead to exposure. If you have a cyclekart, find a local track where they race go karts or flat track motorcycles, they may welcome you to run your karts on their track.

Thanks,

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

Attachments:
CK grassroots.jpg    72.6 KB
CK grassroots.jpg

CK-Zip Tie.jpg    83.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
CK-Zip Tie 2.jpg    46.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Speeddemon Avatar
Speeddemon Louis Poleet
Roslindale, MA, USA   USA
Here's a idea get the best of the ckc cycle karts together for major photo shoot and make cyclekart pin up calendar with some hottie's for next year.? And that will gen plenty of media /public exposure and that will gen new members and possible make a few buck's on calender sales for future fund ing for major state/town big ckc events/track rentals/food/entertainment/etc .?.Cheers

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-15 05:04 PM by Speeddemon.

Attachments:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Custom

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links