Where are you from?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
I think it's a factor that the Patriarchs are all from out west. Had the Stevensons or Dumfries and Co. been located on the east coast, you would see that reflected in the concentration of activity. However much the growth in places like France, the U.K., Aus., N.Z., or anywhere else, the western U.S. will have had a huge head start. Just the likelihood of casual exposure is so much greater here, and that's with cars that have been around for 10 to 15yrs. It's not a fair comparison, and yet for none of the pins on that N.J. area member map to make a peep? It just smells to me like alot of dudes sitting around waiting to see what happens.

Dave

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
Not enough hours in the day. smiling smiley I have a wife, daughter, son-in-law, three grandkids. two dogs and a cat, two Austin Healey Sprites, an MG Midget, a Cadillac Allante, an ultralight airplane, motorcycle, I fly RC airplanes and multicopters, etc., etc. And to top it off the guys I work for insist I put in 40 hours to get a 40 hour paycheck. I have to force myself to not take on new projects until old ones are finished. I have two Harbor Freight coupons in my wallet for $99 212cc Predator engines. So far I've been able to resist temptation.....but. grinning smiley

In reply to # 21779 by Woodysrods So Rick
Besides personal issues that are none of my business.
What was the main factor that has held you back?
And according to your "joined date", how have you been able to contain yourself?
Brian

Markgk Silver Member Mark Kenny
Annandale, NJ, USA   USA
Rick - life, wood and metalworking projects, fishing, my activities and projects with my Grandson and Granddaughter, etc. are sure things. Maybe not the 1st...but the latter are.

I am unwilling (and I think that there are hundreds like me) to build a CK that takes me 6 months of concerted effort to only be able to drive it up and down my driveway. I (and most East Coast people) have no fields, dead end streets, go kart tracks, farms. I do have neighbors that have nothing better in life than listening for unusual noises and then calling the police.

Regarding organization and commitment - Let me give you an example of the frustration with trying to organize a group of people to commit and then actually meet that commitment... I own a flats boat in FL (sitting on a gorgeous dock looking out at the Gulf). I know dozens of fly fisherman who tell me they live and die for fishing. When anyone tries to organize a trip to FL, everyone says GREAT until it is time to commit to the trip. Understand that this is not pier fishing...it is going deep into the Everglades in a state-of-the-art boat to fish for snook, redfish and other incredible fish. A once in a life experience. These are die-hard enthusiasts who (when it is time to actually commit) find every excuse why they can't make it.

I guess I want to focus on #2-5 until I think that there is a reasonable probability that I will actually drive my masterpiece. I'm not trying to be a bummer but it is not wise for a 67 year old guy like myself to commit to a potential dead-end experience. Even though I dream of building one there are too many sure things.

To quote a great fantasy baseball movie..."if you build they will come". This is life... not a movie fantasy...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
geezerduck Avatar
geezerduck Tom Petry
Montclair, California, USA   USA
We probably all need to be committed.

Life is good on the lunatic fringe, Tom

CmdBentaxle Avatar
I sold a project car that I wasn't getting to and put the money straight into my cyclekart, same day.
Iiked the car, but I wanted the cyclekart worse. Period. I also fly R/C and full scale airplanes, when I could afford it.
Wife, kid, business and so on. Look, not everyone is going to be smitten by these things to the point that they
are willing to change their personal time budget, to accommodate a kart project almost immediately.
But it does come down to a matter of choice. One guy dreams of buying a Harley every time one goes by.
The other guy does what it takes to make it happen. One dreams of Italy, the other goes. It's the same with everything that isn't a practical necessity. I know exactly what you mean with those avid fisherman who won't commit to the dream trip. There is an epidemic of Terminal Responsibility in this country. The child must never be allowed to resurface, else we may look foolish, and then they might not respect us.

I'm 57. I did not want this to be another thing I wish I had gotten around to, 20 yrs from now, when I won't be able to get in and out by myself. Choices.

Dave

CederholmC Avatar
CederholmC Gold Member Carl E. Cederholm
BROOKLYN, NY, USA   USA
1953 Chevrolet Bel Air "The Sled"
1969 MG MGB GT "Supercharged"
1972 MG MGB "Brooklyn B"
1981 Toyota Land Cruiser
I'm on the east coast and I'm planning to build one. Not sure what I'm going to do with it if there is no one to race, but my plan is to chip away at friends who have similar interests. I think I'll have some takers who will build, but I know I'll have to take the lead for them to follow.

~ Carl

CmdBentaxle Avatar
Carl, yours is the mindset that will get something started.
Hang with it. When you let people drive it things will happen.

Dave

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
With all the talk of getting something going in the NE of late. I just can't understand why they don't just pee or get off the pot.
Someone has to step up and talk to each other rather than bouncing it off everyone else around the world.
It is a simple task if you have a computer or a phone.
Make a list and post it!
As people respond the "Poster "can just keep editing the post beading their names!
If you don't want to be the leader, you don't have to be, elect someone later from the list. Just be the one to get it started.
Someone please be first and stop the bleeding.
Brian
No snowflake.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
Brian, I hope what you say is happening. We see alot of individual comments, but are you guys communicating with each other back there? There was John Corey talking about a property to meet on and he's got a kart. The member map shows people around the area, and the only response Mark can get, other than Carl up there, is us out here.
It's hard to watch.

Dave

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Maybe that part of the USA is not quite a densely populate as the PNW???confused smiley
Brian

Antioch Bob M
Langley, BC, Canada   CAN
1929 CycleKart French "LR2 Special"
Well according to the member map there are at least 140+ forum members in the area Mark is canvassing...another 60 in Ontario & Quebec & another 30+ in Virginia..... but how many still come to this forum & how frequently is anyone's guess.

But the numbers are there.

Bob

Brian: now I won't try answering for Rick.... but don't you think that being able to make it to Tieton & actually drive in a CK has a fair amount to do with excessive interest & addiction....:

Rosengart LR2 special

http://rosengart.rzaplaser.com/rosengart-lr2-build/

CmdBentaxle Avatar
That may just be it Bob.
I know it's a long trip, but for anyone interested enough to actually build one of the things it would be a shot in the
arm to get to take a drive in a few. If any of you guys are on the fence back there and could make it out this June,
the offer stands with me.

Dave

Antioch Bob M
Langley, BC, Canada   CAN
1929 CycleKart French "LR2 Special"
Will back Dave up as well.... happy to offer rides to prospective builders.

Bob

Rosengart LR2 special

http://rosengart.rzaplaser.com/rosengart-lr2-build/

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, Arizona, USA   USA
1924 Ford Model T "Viscount Vinson Special"
1927 CycleKart American "Mono Wasp"
Hi Guys,

I can only speak for what we are doing here in Arizona. We have a pretty active group here, about 12 completed karts and more under construction. Vintage Kart Co has about 40 karts that are used for fun as well as the Grand Prix of Scottsdale.

Our group here pretty much all happened because one man (Dennis Thomas) built a CycleKart and took it out to local car shows and put some build videos on YouTube. We call Dennis "the godfather".
In early 2015 there were 3 completed karts in Arizona, 2 of them belonged to Dennis, the other Dennis's friend Brian.

I met Dennis in April 2015 at a car show, he asked if you wanted to drive it.....I was hooked. Every time we take the karts to a car show or a driving event people take pictures and ask questions.

Here is what the Arizona Club is doing to build interest and awareness.

Take the karts out of the garage and show it to the public.
Have business cards made for your local club, Vista Print $9.00. Cheap.
Start a club Facebook page, the Arizona CycleKart Club page has almost 100 members.
Start an email or text message group with interested builders and lurkers.
Find a place that will let you drive around a parking lot. We have had our karts at several churches, the youth groups love them.
Make up some club t-shirts.

The amazing things that have happened here and can happen all over the country. You will meet and make new friends and have a great time helping each other build these crazy little machines.

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

Pierro Taruffi Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffs, UK   GBR
1923 CycleKart Vintage "Voisin Laboratoire"
Something means I can't stop trying. Another farm near to Rugby have offered land today. It's not hard if you ask!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1930 CycleKart Great Britain

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links