The Pub - Off Topic

Tieton 2017 - A first trip

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Antioch Bob M
Langley, BC, Canada   CAN
1929 CycleKart French "LR2 Special"
Folks I wanted to write this for a while... no this is not the gory detail of the event or any kind of official announcement. This is aimed at the people wanting to come for the first time.... or visitors to see what all the fuss is about.

So if you can put your tools or snow shovels down for a bit... I have had the enjoyment of attending 4 of these... a few thoughts.

Tieton is a small village/townin the South Western area of Washington. As such there are no motel or hotels in the town. If you are staying overnight Yakima is probably the closest place... make sure you get a room with a/c (trust me on that). There are a few cabins in Tieton that can be rented but don't try as by now they will be all fully booked. There are a few places to camp....contact the organizers if coming as space is also limited.

There are one or two resteraunts in town, not always the same people running them every year though. There is one larger convince store that has some groceries but not a huge selection. The town people are terrific to us & it is a fun place to visit.

Tieton has been getting bigger every year...expect this year to be BUSY. The event temperature can range from warm to stinking hot. Two years ago it was up to 112F.... I suppose one of these years it will rain just to spite me. Taking the following is highly recommended...a good hat, sunscreen, water, a portable chair, some food and a cooler with ice in it. .....and. A drink bottle to fill up with whatever is also a good idea.

Drivers and builders love to talk cars but events are so tightly spaced they may not have time as we get hustled from event to event. Friday night is a great time to chat during the low key events.

For folks wanting to build....take a camera...remember to not just take pictures of the exteriors...take pics of the inside and wheel details.... and how things are built. You will regret it when you get home if you didn't....."if only I had a picture of...".

The only thing with the camera....don't try standing in a corner while a race is happening to get better pictures....always to the side. If something breaks, chances are it will be around a corner. Your local corner Marshall will appreciate that.

Rosengart LR2 special

http://rosengart.rzaplaser.com/rosengart-lr2-build/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Nice introduction Bob.

oldbus60 Frank Chaney
Hansville, washington, USA   USA
just signed up and looking forward to learning anything about these cars. would like to talk to anyone in my area about it

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
alphonse Avatar
alphonse alphonse roche
Issoudun, Indre, France   FRA
Thanks for the description, Bob!

Antioch Bob M
Langley, BC, Canada   CAN
1929 CycleKart French "LR2 Special"
Oh just answered via PM, should have added it. The Tieton Grand Prix this year will be the weekend of June 23 - 25, 2017.

Rosengart LR2 special

http://rosengart.rzaplaser.com/rosengart-lr2-build/

fly44 Avatar
fly44 Don Nothwang/c
Hillsboro, Oregon, USA   USA
1921 CycleKart German "Chitty"
I hope to be there again this year,its always great to see new gear heads with the new rides.Yes it gets very HOT!!!!!,sun screen,umbrella to hide under,a cooler for your drinks & Ice to cool off with.Camera is a must along with something to write on for notes or phone numbers.Over the past several years ive made many friends,now feels like family when we get together.They all know Chitty and what a heavy beast she is,I still have more bugs to work out but its just fun to be there.I do what I can to help others with problems,Tools or maybe some welding beings I am an ASE Master Tech since 1984.I enjoy talking to everyone who is there,even the speech barrier seems to disappear when we talk Karts.So many neat designs,so many different construction ideas!!!!The first time I walked into the warehouse at 10:30 on friday night 3 years ago I was in Heaven!!!They are so much better looking in person!!!

Pierro Taruffi Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffs, UK   GBR
1923 CycleKart Vintage "Voisin Laboratoire"
For those who have had their entries accepted for Tieton, check your emails.

fly44 Avatar
fly44 Don Nothwang/c
Rhys,its looking like I wont be able to go this year.I have way too many issues that are needing to be addressed this year and finances are not in my favor.My roof needs replaced,the driveway needs to be done,my Tow vehicle needs some work also which will be puting me into the red if I pay for entry fees & fuel to get there.I will be missing you guys so much,your like family to me that i only get to see once a year.I will put some some money aside for next years event,please keep me updated upon the happenings thru the weekend,I check the site daily to see all the new karts being built.It will also give me time to paint and install detail stuff on Chitty,she is kinda ugly without details and paint

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
There will be a new team "The Crazy Canucks" entered this year, consisting of two new CKs from the newly formed BC CycleKart Chapter.
Look for Woody & Smoky to help add to the Fun of CycleKart Racing.
Good Roads
Brian.........."Woody"

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Holy cow, Brian! Are you and Don gonna make it?
Better put some coffee on!

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 24113 by CmdBentaxle Holy cow, Brian! Are you and Don gonna make it?
Better put some coffee on!

No problemo!

fly44 Avatar
fly44 Don Nothwang/c
No im not going to be there this year,way too many things need to get done and the money isnt there either.My roof needs done,my shed needs replaced,a driveway installed then I had teeth that needed repaired too,that was topper that killed the trip.Sorry to disappoint the Chitty lovers,it will be a better next year with the pay raise I just got,YAHOOOOOOO!!!!

PDXBryan Bryan Dickerson
Troutdale, Oregon, USA   USA
Sorry to hear it Don. We'll miss ya' man.

fly44 Avatar
fly44 Don Nothwang/c
All thru the Memorial Day weekend I was busy.Sat was the memorial day float in Tualatin (PMPBA.org) website,sunday I had to drop Kris off at bridal shower at noon,Monday consisted of digging a ditch,removed half the pile of dirt covering the path first so I can lay down some 220 for my Hot tub.When thats done I have to clean up my yard form all the storms we have had over the winter.Bryan its never ending,I cant seem to get a break this year,chitty just sits in the garage collecting dust not making any noise.My Dunebuggy will be next,I have parts all over my shop and in the garage.Four years ago a 90 yr old woman pulled out in front of me while on my way to a cruise in,she turned left on a blinking yellow,did 10k worth of damage to the front end.Took me a year to get money out of her insurance and 3 to get it where it is today.Some people think I have a lots of free time,WRONG!!! I get 2-3 hrs a day to get stuff done during the week and weekends seem to be tied up all the time with family functions.Well im going to miss all you guys this year,I did manage to snag some tickets for the Rose Parade VIP section near the coliseum this year ,so I will be there in two weeks to watch then back to work.I will try to get Chitty painted while she is idle this year,lots of detail work to do,I will be going to Seafair too.My Classmate Jeff Campbell is the crew chief of the U-9 H-1 unlimited hydro,I watch the races from the boat trailer every year for the past 5,what a blast!!! See ya next year

YourSolutions Steve Nicholson
Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand   NZL
If anyone is looking for accommodation over the Tieton weekend there is a place available in Naches I found but not using now. It's suitable for two and I've linked to the daylight basement/bed/ba/sitting room in Naches to help them out.

www.airbnb.com/rooms/925164

Hope someone finds this helpful.

Thanks.
Steve

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1924 CycleKart Great Britain

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links