The Pub - Off Topic

Invitation to SECOND Northeast CK Meet: 2 September 2017

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jcny Avatar
jcny Silver Member John Corey
Melrose, New York, USA   USA
1927 CycleKart French "Sam"
OK, you asked for it, you got it: a SECOND CK EVENT in the NORTHEAST. Check out the new listing under EVENTS (soon, I just submitted it on 7/22).

The Place:
Nick Walters' Spread
831 NY-203
Chatham, NY 12037

Pending his OK for taking calls and emails, contact me with any questions, etc. :
John Corey
2556 River Rd, Melrose, NY 12121
Phone: +1 518 7958035
E-mail: jc@coreyshome.net

Second Chance Northeast Cyclekart Meet: 2 Sept 2017
Didja miss the first one? OK, you have a second chance. Nick Walters, maker of the Beautiful Bugatti, has invited us to run 'em there! I (John) ran with him there this past weekend and it was great! A brief video of some laps:

Get it Out! Fire it Up! Bring it Here! We can have a tech session, a review of Tieton event out west, a country track to race around, and good times for you and your cyclekart! Please respond by August 15 to let us know if you're coming, so the fridge can be stocked appropriately. The shop will be open (tools, fuels, drink that cools). And if Nick is willing (likely), he'll let us cool in the pool, so bring a suit.

Suggestions for format are welcome, as this is totally freeform at the moment, but the tentative "plan" is this:
Saturday morning about 10 AM: arriving hordes
Saturday morning til about Noon: meet and greet, set-up and test (and fix)
Saturday at Noon-ish: LUNCH!, let's eat
Saturday after noon: let's race! Several heats as practical!
Saturday later: fix 'em as needed, pack 'em, sit and gab, plan next event.

A map of the course is attached.

Builder: John 'the Fierce' Corey, aka Lord Emile Salmson (or Lordy Miles On Some)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
WaltersCourse.jpg    55.9 KB
WaltersCourse.jpg

PDXBryan Bryan Dickerson
Troutdale, Oregon, USA   USA
Yowsers!
That looks fun but where can you pass?

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Gee, where else have I heard a stuck brake caliper lately?
Awsome layout though, John. A dream spot.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jcny Avatar
Working on the passing zone part - this was just the first trial - widening is places is underway. Though actually passing on the uphill was already achieved.

Builder: John 'the Fierce' Corey, aka Lord Emile Salmson (or Lordy Miles On Some)

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
So there is a "Ready to Go" Cyclekart For Sale in NY listed here on the Forum.
Good Roads
Woody

jcny Avatar
Thanks for the tip, Woody! I replied to Don and invited him or his buyer to the meet!

jcny Avatar
Well, there's still no official posting on the EVENTS page (why? I submitted it July 23), but I'll just update this in hopes more of you will see it. Chatham, NY 2 September. Come on down! Message me for details or RSVP, I guess, until/unless the event gets posted. The Salmson is repaired and ready to roll again (replaced front and rear axles, new brake disc and pads, corrected CVT belt tension).

Firehouse9114 Avatar
Firehouse9114 Nick Walters
Spencertown, NY, USA   USA
I was looking under events John and wondered when it would show up.

I have been altering the course somewhat and widening the passing zones. The added back stretch needs a little more smoothing and rock removal. The only problem is I have to keep fixing my kart after an hour or so of zipping around. I put the new hubs and wheels from vkc on and was good to go for a bit but then the spokes loosened up. Gave them all a 1/4 turn to snug them up but after a few more spirited runs I am snapping spokes...fixed the brake issue but had to disengage the handbrake for now. I will be ready to run, break, fix and repeat on the 2nd

Beers and burgers around the tiki bar for lunch and bring a swim suit if it's hot. Thought we might try a hill clime event, time trial - fastest lap, maybe a gate event and a final race...helmets please.

"Richard Milhous Dastardly"

Attachments:
IMG_0041.PNG    64.7 KB
IMG_0041.PNG

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
Looks like fun Nick. Wish I were done with mine and wish I were closer to you guys.
Would like t hear a lot more about the spokes loosening up. You're the first case
of that that I've heard about and I've been monitoring the forum for more than a year.
I do hear mention of an occasional loose spoke but not to the degree that you
have indicated.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

jcny Avatar
Looks good! I hope it gets posted soon (maybe Skye is on vacation?). I emailed the usual suspects directly, too. Expect to hear from SOME of them (hint, hint).

Wikispeeder Bruce C
Tewksbury, MA, USA   USA
It's on my calendar!

Is my car ready? No. Will I be bringing drawings? Probably. Will I be peering at everything and asking a lot of questions? YES!

Sounds just like last time... cool smiley

I'm amassing the parts and trying to finalize the design for my Maserati 4CM CK. There have been a few re-thinks along the way, so progress has been slow. It's getting close to build time, for sure. No way will it happen in time for this event tho. Looks like next spring at best. <sigh>

-Bruce

jcny Avatar
That's fine, Bruce. Welcome. - and we'll all enjoy kibbutzing on the plans and sharing info (and rides, and encouragement),

Wikispeeder Bruce C
Tewksbury, MA, USA   USA
Nick, what is the gearing you have on your kart?

Firehouse9114 Avatar
Firehouse9114 Nick Walters
Spencertown, NY, USA   USA
Hi Bruce,
Glad you are going to make it and looking forward to seeing the drawings. I have been learning lots about maintaining my kart as I have been beating the hell out of it in the dirt. On John and my test runs a few weeks ago we probably had to stop every 4-5 laps to fix something on one of our karts. I would definitely work hard on my next one to make access to every bolt a priority. I was feeling pretty good about my decision to have the body work permanently attached because my kart is pretty rigid but I now understand why the gittreville guys have the bodies come off.
I am currently running a 10/60 ratio. I started with a 12/60 on an unmodified predator engine. I had some problems with chains and the cheap tav belts so I dropped the gearing. It turns out the 35 chain seems to work fine. I have kept it looser and bought a better quality sprocket and the chain hasn't jumped or stretched since. Meanwhile I think the exhaust was just too close to the belt. I have a temporary exhaust on so can't run with the cover on but the whole engine is staying cooler and the belt seems to be holding up better. I have been working on another engine as I never replaced the flywheel so when I drop that in I am going to try the 12/60 again. The sweet spot for torque on the engine seems to be at quite low revs.
I bought four cheap scales so now know the car is approx. 290lbs without the spare wheel. The rears have about 90lbs each and the fronts 55lbs. It's getting 45-48 on the flats and in all reality I think it's way fast enough but I would like to hit 50 smiling smiley
Denny the weight distribution was partly for you, I know you asked awhile back. As to the wheels they are a weak link. My old ones were struggling so I bought a new set from vkc. They were tight and true when I got them and I was expecting to tighten them after a few runs. I was just surprised how loose they were. I tightened them all the same but probably over tightened one or two that subsequently snapped. I am ordering another set to have on hand and will probably try to upgrade to a heavier spoke on this set. I have been watching some videos on lacing wheels but I'm no expert. With the drifting I am always inclined to do I have ended up with rocks forced up between the tire and rim so I have been keeping the tires well inflated but they really take a beating.
Best,
Nick

"Richard Milhous Dastardly"

PDXBryan Bryan Dickerson
Troutdale, Oregon, USA   USA
Yeah man,
That's a really great run down of testing results. Very helpful! I'm thinking you've got a fairly brutal track there. The Gittreville group thinks of the Campbell Orchard as tough on CKs but I can't think of anyone that's had major wheel problems in the 3 years I've been to Tieton.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1927 CycleKart Race Car

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links