Invitation to SECOND Northeast CK Meet: 2 September 2017

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jcny Avatar
jcny Silver Member John Corey
Melrose, New York, USA   USA
1927 CycleKart French "Sam"
Brilliant! Print a few for me and plan to bring some to the Maker Faire on 9/16 (you ARE coming, right?). jc

Builder: John 'the Fierce' Corey, aka Lord Emile Salmson (or Lordy Miles On Some)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jcny Avatar
Great Event. Super course, ideal site and weather. Marvelous host. Just two CK's but lots of drivers and builders. Time trials, free runs both ways around. Lots of sliding and dust-tossing. Nothing and no one broken. Videos are going up even as I write this. IF you missed this, you missed a LOT!

Builder: John 'the Fierce' Corey, aka Lord Emile Salmson (or Lordy Miles On Some)

Attachments:
2ndMeetOnLawn.jpg    82.6 KB
2ndMeetOnLawn.jpg

Smoky Avatar
Smoky Silver Member Don Schmok
Salmon Arm, BC, Canada   CAN
That's a great looking poster! Sounds like a great event, I sure wish I was closer!

1929 Riley Bitsa

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Firehouse9114 Avatar
Firehouse9114 Nick Walters
Spencertown, NY, USA   USA
John, i am chuckling again watching the videos almost as much as I was running the course. Awesome time, thanks to all for coming. Hope you all had safe trips home. I am going to start work on #2, looking forward to what everyone else comes up with and more cars in the spring! Unfortunately my videos didn't come out as well as Urs John, but I will try to work on them a bit tomorrow. N

"Richard Milhous Dastardly"

Wikispeeder Bruce C
Tewksbury, MA, USA   USA
A super event! Hats off to the Nick our host and all who helped organize. A bit light on cars, but what a LOT of fun. Looking at the videos, I have to say that they don't show how STEEP that initial hill really is! It wasn't easy giving the car it's head and putting some speed down that hill. The rest of the course is a tail-happy drift fest. What a blast!

For those of you in the Northeast, even if you don't have a car, you need to come and see and take a test drive. You'll go back home with a renewed enthusiasm and desire to get one built. If you lack skills or tools, don't let that stop you. We are a community here and can help out. There's enormous satisfaction in getting hands-on with this kind of thing. They don't have to be perfect, they don't even have to be beautiful. Remember that many of the originals were made by "some guy" who had what he had and made what he could make.

We had a great time and are looking forward to next spring, when, if the fates are kind there will be a little red Maserati in the snarling pack as they hurl themselves into the corners.

Bruce

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
I don't mean to put a damper on things, still, I gotta say.....for all the effort that
you two have put into organizing events, both at John's place and Nick's, I'm
really disappointed in the turn out.
When I look at the member's map there are literally dozens of members within 100mi
of your location Nick, and most much less distance than that. Heck, 100 miles today is just
a couple hour drive, barely enough time to finish the cup of coffee and donuts you and your
buddy picked up at the Quick Mart when you filled up with gas before heading out.
Granted, not all of those members have finished karts, but if I weren't a thousand miles
away from Spencertown, NY I sure would have been there, kart or no kart.
Next time I see someone post, "Where can you race them????" I'll have a good bit to
say about making an effort to participate. If we're ever going to see this sport grow,
on the east coast, people are going to have to take a little more interest in it. Here in
the Midwest there is absolutely nothing going on. They sure don't have a lack of
interest out west in Washington and Arizona where it seems to be thriving.
Maybe I'd better hold off on that buildup till we hear about the Nevada turnout this weekend?
So....even though I couldn't be there, I for one would like to thank you Nick and John
for what you're doing to nurture the sport in your area.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-03 06:02 AM by Denny Graham.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
What videos?

Wikispeeder Bruce C
Tewksbury, MA, USA   USA
In reply to # 26361 by refisk What videos?

These!

Wikispeeder Bruce C
Tewksbury, MA, USA   USA
In reply to # 26360 by Denny Graham I don't mean to put a damper on things, still, I gotta say.....for all the effort that
you two have put into organizing events, both at John's place and Nick's, I'm
really disappointed in the turn out.
When I look at the member's map there are literally dozens of members within 100mi
of your location Nick, and most much less distance than that.

I'm wondering if the low turnout was in part because of the holiday weekend. I know a lot of people have plans with family over Labor Day. Not to imply that a cyclekart race isn't a family friendly thing, but it's fair to say that (for reasons that I don't always understand) not everybody out there is as interested in these things as we are. Getting the family to give up a 3 or 4 day end of summer blowout at the lake to come to a race might be a big ask. It might be worth digging a bit to see why people didn't come, despite how close they were.

-Bruce

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
Thanks Bruce!

In reply to # 26363 by Wikispeeder
In reply to # 26361 by refisk What videos?

These!

jcny Avatar
Thanks to all. Denny, I suspect that many of those "members" nearby are not real or at least not active (having once signed up but then never returned to the site, much less built a CK). I have tried to contact many of them directly with PMs or otherwise and never gotten a single response. Their loss, not ours. We just keep having fun. I'm thinking of putting up sideboards on the trailer I use to haul my CK, advertising this website - I expect that would stimulate a bit more local interest, too!

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
I gotta be careful about talking up Cyckekarts John, as several have
let me know here on the forum.....I haven't earned the right to discuss
them since I haven't built one to completion. Guess I've just let to many
of my domestic chores get in my way.
I've tried putting out feelers around my area but seem to get a similar
response as you. Without a running kart I got nothing to draw them
into a conversation with me.
Hope you guys don't give up the quest. I'd love to see a weekend
meet similar to Tieton a little closer than the left coast.
Besides....the west coast is a prime target for an ICBM, so I'd rather head
east when I get my kart finished, that is.....if there's still an east coast by
then.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Wikispeeder Bruce C
Tewksbury, MA, USA   USA
I'm looking for Nick's videos of the event, even if he said they weren't as "good" as the ones above. Did I miss them, or hasn't he posted them yet?

-Bruce

jcny Avatar
Nope, I don't think you missed them. Do you subscribe to Nick's YouTube Channel (where they'll be whenever he gets them up)?

jcny Avatar
Well, the season is over here in the Northeast (for this year), though we have had a remarkable string of warm weather. That allowed me to finish some details on the 1927 Salmson that ran this Summer in bare, functional form. I have posted more pix in my Journal on this site, but as no one thinks to look there, I thought it fun to add a teaser here, too. I'm quite pleased with the results of forming new panels with compound curves, on the wheel, and with one little detail (a fleur-de-lis) that I worked into the finish of the tail Here a pic to whet your interest. All that remains now is to upgrade the front end to provide the proper look of longitudinal springs on extended frame, and to upholster the cockpit.

Attachments:
IMG_2828.jpg    80.6 KB
IMG_2828.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1960 CycleKart Race Car

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links