AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
One of the things that I would miss if I ever get time to finish the Riley,
or that I do miss when watching cycle kart videos over the past year is this:

Needless to say, that sound gets most auto enthusiasts Adrenalin to flowin'.
But obviously a GX200 isn't going to sound like an Aston Martin V12 at Rockingham, but I'd be more thrilled by the sound of an engine running up the scale, which is something we don't hear in most cycle karts equipped with a
torque converter.
Sorry if I come off sounding like a kill-joy but the steady drone produce
in most videos just plan seem dull and uninteresting after a few laps.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
It's different from the driver's seat, no matter what you're driving. I found that video boring and couldn't watch it all.

1954 Chevrolet 3600
Yet you can sit and watch a cycle kart with a 200 cc log splitter motor
run around a warehouse at 30 mph for a half hour and that doesn't
bore you?????

dg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-19 09:10 PM by Denny Graham.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Yep, that is one thing that draws me to electrics.
You can pipe in the sound you want. I have fiddled with the idea of some sort of baffling to make it sound less like a 40mph pressure washer.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
I find the sound soothing, but like Vic said, it is a whole different experience when you are in the drivers seat.
You are so busy the sound is the last thing on your mind.
Woody

CmdBentaxle Avatar
But I can't be the only guy reaching for a gear change lever sometimes. Oh!, to shift!

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Yes, shifting is fun, but it would be a whole new game!
These CycleKarts would just become to fast and very dangerous if we could shift them into a bigger sprocket.
Unless you could find a shifter style motorcycle motor that produced abut 4 hp.
But, sorta like the idea of keeping your foot to the floor the whole time, while letting your hands, reflexes, and body english get you through the course.
Woody

1954 Chevrolet 3600
My old Triumph Bonneville is a motorcycle, hits it's sweet spot about 70 and
I'm comfortable with that still. I had it up to 120 once when I first got it, way
to quick for an old man for sure and the speedo stops at 140 and I'd bet it
could come close to that with some one with bigger kahonas than me on it.
But......the little Suzuki 250, now it seems to hit its stride at about 45. At 55
you can start to feel it beginning to strain and at 70 she's really pulling hard
and just about out of steam.
Now.....each evening after supper, when I go out for my ride in the country,
I imagine myself with four wheels under me and how the speed, wind, handling,
acceleration, road feel and such would transfer over to a CK. I can't help but
feel that if the kart is built right it would be very similar to riding the little Suzuki
and should hit its sweet spot around 50 yet be capable of pushing it to 60 or 70.
The low low powered, only 16hp, isn't that far off from what one can squeeze
from a GX200 or clone with the proper mods. The biggest difference is in the
acceleration because of the gear changes.
When I say built right, I mean, designed and constructed to be safe at those
speeds. Many of the CK's I see are built like one would build a yard kart for
the kids to run around in. I'm not inferring that a cycle kart need run those
speeds in the turns but out on a long open straight I'd like to know that it
could be pushed there momentarily when called for.
Even after a year and a half I'm still having a difficult time, in my mind that is,
placing just where cycle karts belong. Not a true cyclecar, not a sporting trials car,
not a midget, not much more than a yard kart in it's present stage of development.
So.....there I am again, advocating for a class system which would include
an unlimited bracket for the more advanced designs. As a famous Irish
playwright once wrote: "Progress is impossible without change, and those
who cannot change their minds cannot change anything." G. B. Shaw
We're back from the the mutts morning constitutional, the coffee's done
perkin', and old Sol is about to make his appearance. So I'm finished
rambling on and I'm headin' out to the barn now. Over!
dg

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Cyclecarts belong exactly where we place them. If you intend on building anything different, then you are the only one and have no place whatsoever, good luck with that.

1954 Chevrolet 3600
in for my warm up. Finishing up the foot operated lid on the heat treat
quench tank this morning. As soon as I get done with the kitchen remodel
for sweetie face, maybe, just maybe I can try heat treating the batch of
leaf springs I bent up.
Spoken like a true purist Vic, expected nothing less from your end of the map.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

CmdBentaxle Avatar
I'm anxious to hear about how those springs turn out Denny. Have you allowed for some kind of bushings? I just hate the bare curled ends of the buggy springs. Watch out though, you're liable to become the father of World of Outlaw Cyclekarts one day. If I was certain there were no significant bumps along along a good long stretch of road, I suppose I might let it out to maybe 60 if it had the power to get there. I went faster on the Bennett course in a couple of spots than I have anywhere else. More wind buffeting and engine rpm, faster. Probably 50 mph, if I had to guess. I did not enjoy the gokart steering at that speed. Otherwise the car felt solid enough for more. At 60, not much of a bump could have you out of shape in an instant though. It doesn't take much imagination to see bow that would
turn out.

Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
I seem to be missing the intent if this thread. I am not sure what the significance of “true purist” is if you could explain?
Is it a particular sound or lack of that created the desire to build within the guidelines we call cyclekarts. Each and every form of what I would call “our hobbies” is in a box of specifications. Be it general guide lines or specific in details. The CK is in general 96” x 40” with a motor and wheel size requirement and you can put whatever race inspired car of your choice in that box.
Most of us remember our first ride on a gravity racer no sound except a playing card on the spokes like we did on our bikes and a go kart in the 50’s & 60’s. We all built ours in one form or another with what we had. We learned pretty quick we became outclassed by the kid down the street with better wheels and motor. I do not feel that should be the intent with the cyclekart. I was at the GoodGuys Car Show the last 2 days and after reading your post yesterday morning I paid more attention to what turn peoples head. The big loud motors did for sure but they looked away pretty quickly. When a quitter car went through they looked back and watched it pass the visual was the magnet. My conclusion is the sound will always draw attention but the visual will last. Sorry I might have missed your intent for this thread just my 2 cents worth.

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

CmdBentaxle Avatar
I think the point, if I understand correctly is that with us all running essentially the same setup, our cars
basically all sound alike. I'm never going to get my Ferrari to sound like the real one with it's V12.
But I do think Its a fun idea to experiment with exhaust notes in an effort to give your car a more distinctive sound. It's been a back burner interest of mine since before I built one.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
There's an app for that. grinning smiley

Add a speaker and small amp and use this phone app.

In reply to # 26117 by CmdBentaxle I think the point, if I understand correctly is that with us all running essentially the same setup, our cars
basically all sound alike. I'm never going to get my Ferrari to sound like the real one with it's V12.
But I do think Its a fun idea to experiment with exhaust notes in an effort to give your car a more distinctive sound. It's been a back burner interest of mine since before I built one.

Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
Sounds within the venues we attend are part of the attraction. Music is on in my house all the time however some songs with notes that repeat and repeat are obnoxious which I will turn off, but they have been big hits and loved by so many. I feel the same about sounds from the internal combustion engine. I do not know where I am going with this just rambling. I think I’ll go pick some walnut in the front yard and listen to the cars go by.

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-20 05:49 PM by Notso-Chinsee.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1924 CycleKart Italian

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links