Can the sound?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
Glad you jumped in on this Vitaliy, you always seem to be the
voice of tranquility in a raging sea.
Tour de France......now that's an interesting and very thoughtful way
of comparing this hobby to an age old sport.
I suppose the cyclekart should remain right where it is to satisfy the
group that subscribes to the original concept.
No doubt my concept of what a cyclekart could be, should be something
best kept to myself. So that's about the conclusion that I've arrived at recently
since there are no events in my area or apparent chance that there well be in
the foreseeable future. I'll not be building to compete with anyone other than
my self. My original interest in cyclekarts stemmed from a long running desire
to have something resembling the midgets I ran in my youth. I had been searching
for ideas for something that had a bit of a punch to it that I could throw around the
pasture to keep up my reflexes. For a long time it was a junk yard four banger stuffed
into a simple frame with perhaps small trailer tires. Then when I stumbled on the
CK's I was drawn to the 20's inspiration cars because of the scale, the simplicity
and the low cost of them. The only down side for me was the lack of performance
that I see in the videos.
The point I'm at now is building for my self satisfaction. I'm definitely going to fit up
the 301 Hemi Predator which I have on the shelf. Encouraged by Joey's front engine
creation, I've even been making up some sketches of a front engine shaft driven
cyclecar for the second one. But with stronger wheels, perhaps from a 250cc and
up bike. Been looking and measuring the 90/90x18 wheels on the little Suzuki I
picked up this summer. In fact, I just yesterday bought a Honda and Yamaha
shaft drive rear axle unit to test out the feasibility of using them in a light cyclecar.
Also I'm on the verge of buying a Predator 670cc engine which Harbor Freight has
on sale now. I think that size engine would be perfectly suited for a front engine
concept cyclecar.
So if I'm not welcome here on this forum talking such trash, then so be it.
I have the time, the skill and am able to scrape up the money from my allowance to build
my kart/car my way. I thought that sharing some of my ideas and work might encourage
a new builder to try something a little outside of the box.
Enough cyclekart!!!! Now I gotta go crawl under an old 50's Chevy truck the rest of the week
and get her new springs installed. Couldn't shift her for the last 6 months because of my
broken right wrist and I really missed driving her.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Denny, I love builds, I'd like to see yours. We have a custom carts forum for you to post all the details.

We also have a Cyclecart tech forum for Stevenson/Gittreville type carts.

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
Vic, I've grown to recognize the subtle suggestions, "I think your full of BS, so get out of here." in the replies
that you post..So...your message isn't going un-noticed.
But I'm like a lot of the guys here, with a kart in process. I don't have the luxury of devoting all of my spare time
to building a cyclekart and only a cyclekart. I'm just a one man show around here on a limited budget and a lot
of other things on my plate right now that take priority over some of my lesser important hobbies.
Lots of what I do is posted in my ad free photo album that anyone can access.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/dgraham
I try to post as much as I can there about what I'm doing in picture form.
And as you've eluded to in the past....no, I'm not spending all my time sitting in front of the computer, I just
came in this time for some lunch. Been stuck in the barn where I'm machining new brass bushings for the
leaf springs in my truck.
With winter fast approaching, I should have more time to get back on the Riley. First thing on the agenda
will be firing up the new forge and quench tank for the leaf springs. Then finishing up the frame and getting
it up on four wheels.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Hey, Denny
You know, I have struggled for many months now to understand how it is that you manage, with such frequency, to set some people off around here. I think I've finally gotten a handle on it.
It really isn't about your wanting to refine the breed somewhat, because we pretty much all make improvements. What if the cycle racers rode the same bikes they were on in the inaugural Tour de France? It's not that guys don't respect your opinion cause you've never completed a C/k, because you clearly posess the chops to produce a fine kart. What puts a burr under the collective saddle is that you pronounce sweeping judgments on the the basic formula without ever having seen, let alone
driven one of the things. Just one example is evident in your post above. Your regular refrain that cyclekarts are badly underpowered with even a hopped up 200cc eng. comes across as absurd to anyone with seat time in one. So, naturally they react in a couple of predictable ways. 1, The guy should drive one before he comments so authoritatively, or 2. The guy thinks he's such a stud, that what others describe as pretty adequate power couldn't possibly be enough to satisfy him!
When we simply dismiss the assessment of experienced people in an area, and I'm talking specifically about the operation of cyclekarts here, where we ourselves are inexperienced, the reaction should be
predictable. To constantly harp on what you see as the inadequacy of a basic formula that has given great enjoyment to it's practitioners, many of whom have extensive motorsport experience is alienating.
You're not the first to be chided for talking before you drive, so don't take it personally.
Do find a way to take a drive though, THEN give us your impressions.
NASCAR looks slow on TV too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 04:36 PM by CmdBentaxle.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
I don't know what you're saying, but feel free to read all the forum rules. http://www.cyclekartclub.com/phorum/read.php?1,3

topevo Avatar
topevo Juergen M
Versmold, NRW, Germany   DEU

The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything is 42.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1922 CycleKart Sports

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links