The Pub - Off Topic

Trailers for CK

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
As I posted Chris, click the link, should bring up page 5, then scroll up to #61.
Al also posted a couple more at the bottom at #75 and a bunch on page 6 at #78,
Couldn't be easier.

Thanks Al.
Denny G

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Thanks for pointing that out Dennis, hadn't spotted the link, long days since Tuesday, so not totally with it.

Chris.

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
Yo welcome Chris.
As soon as I spotted that picture the wheels started turning.
I was given a real nice axle that was made up using
VW hubs,spindles and wheels and the tires are line new.
Welding up a frame would be the easy part and twenty five
or thirty bucks buys a set of trailer springs. Got a pair of new shocks
that have been laying on the shelf for a couple of decades waiting
to go to work.
I like the "Stacker" idea because I am planning at least couple of karts
once I get the shop straightened out and some of the tooling finished up.
Been wanting to add a propane forge, metal melt furnace, E-wheel and
motorized bead roller to the shop for decades. So.....I gotta build all of that
while doing a little here and there on the first kart. Want to cast and forge some
of my own parts and the forge is big enough to heat treat the three sets of
leaf springs, which have been formed up since spring.
Al said he used a Harbor Freight pre-made trailer as a base but I've got some
different ideas. I like the use of the Badlands 2500 lb. winch, and picked one of
those up when they were on sale. I'd like to be able to tilt the bed to lower the
angle. That HF trailer appears to have a hinged tongue also. I'd make the upper
deck fairly substantial and have given thought to being able to enclose it some
way also. If I did that it would have to have the sides hinged so one could gain
access to the straps and such.
Lots of options, plenty of time to work out the bugs and settle on a final design.
Denny G
Sandwich, IL New World

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
As this is an important thread to keep alive.
I thought I might post a couple of pictures of my CycleKart trailer currently under construction.
Woody

Attachments:
P8091060.JPG    41 KB
P8091060.JPG

P8091061.JPG    52.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
YourSolutions Steve Nicholson
Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand   NZL
Brian. How many cyclekarts are you aiming to fit on this trailer? Is the deck height going to be standard, just above the trailer axle or above the wheel guards to have a wider deck area, bit hard to tell from current photos. Making a trailer to fit one cyclekart is easy, fitting two or more requires larger deck area or careful layout.

In reply to # 26062 by Woodysrods As this is an important thread to keep alive.
I thought I might post a couple of pictures of my CycleKart trailer currently under construction.
Woody

Woodysrods Brian Woods
This was just a trailer I had in my back 40 that I had started to modify for hay rides around the Farm, before I got into CycleKarts.
So, so I brought it back down, finished the welding, put new tires on it, and have it ready for sandblasting and paint.
The inside of the box is 9' x 5' with 1' sides. Would be easy to rig a second ramp style level for a second CK, as illustrated in earlier posts on this thread.
Bu, I think I would have one CK in the back of the tow PU and one in the trailer.
Until we have the need for "Three"
Good Roads
Woody

gearguy Charles Schultz
Oil City, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
From the files of master craftsman Gregg Kishine: two of his "scale cars" on a scaled down Burbank double decker trailer. This style trailer was used by professional midget and sprint car teams back in the pre-roll cage & pre- enclosed trailer days. The scale cars are approximately CK size.

But for my new home states rediculous rules for home built trailers I'd aspire to have one of these with two CK on it.

Attachments:
Roadster,_Moss_on_Burbank_tailer.JPG    40.3 KB
Roadster,_Moss_on_Burbank_tailer.JPG

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Got my trailer back from the sandblasters Friday.
Very disappointed in how it towed, as it is pretty heavy duty with heavy springs and tires.
It bounced all over the place empty.
Hauled a 1000 lbs of hay with it today and it seemed to settle down, but I am hoping my CycleKart is south of 250 lbs.
So even if I make the attachment for a double decker transporter, that is still a very light payload.
I hindsight, I wish I would have not tried to salvage a trailer I had ($1000.00 spent to date, expecting to come in at about $1500.00 finished) but gone out and bought a small cargo trailer c/w rubber ride axle (which I could sleep in and have completely closed for Karts) that would have towed nicer.
I will keep you posted???????
Woody

YourSolutions Steve Nicholson
Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand   NZL
In reply to # 26837 by Woodysrods Hauled a 1000 lbs of hay with it today and it seemed to settle down, but I am hoping my CycleKart is south of 250 lbs.

Seems like you have all ready pin pointed the best option Brian. Put bales of hay round the cyclekart when you load the trailer. You solve the problem of the trailer riding better and have your own portable crash barriers for the track.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Woodysrods Brian Woods
In reply to # 26839 by YourSolutions
In reply to # 26837 by Woodysrods Hauled a 1000 lbs of hay with it today and it seemed to settle down, but I am hoping my CycleKart is south of 250 lbs.

Seems like you have all ready pin pointed the best option Brian. Put bales of hay round the cyclekart when you load the trailer. You solve the problem of the trailer riding better and have your own portable crash barriers for the track.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Thanks Steve
Don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place??
And I would have soft bedding material to sleep on in the manger!confused smiley
Woody

Smoky Avatar
Smoky Silver Member Don Schmok
Salmon Arm, BC, Canada   CAN
I have this utility trailer from Home Depo. It has rubber mounted torsion springs, and a low ride height. I moved the axel back to make it better balance with my touring bike in the trailer. I made a mount for a front wheel chock, and I cut down the ramp 6” so it would clear the tail light on the bike.

I use the trailer for several trips to,the dump each year, mostly with garden trimmings.

When I built my CK, I knew it had to be shorter than 103” to fit in the trailer, my CK is 99”.

It works great, loads quick, and tows at any speed I want. I think I paid $1200 CDN, about 6 years ago.

Smoky

1929 Riley Bitsa

Attachments:
D51142C1-C13F-495F-95D7-9657746A01C3.jpeg    79 KB
D51142C1-C13F-495F-95D7-9657746A01C3.jpeg

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Oh.......hindsight????????moody smiley
Brian

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1942 CycleKart American

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links