CKC

The Pub - Off Topic

Type 35 bugatti

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Thrush Michael Sutton
Redditch, Worcestershire, UK   GBR
Hello guys, I' a new member. My search for type 35 plans led me here, it's an interesting place.
I am just finishing of a Toylander jeep for my grandson. It's a 4wd version with a central 24v motor from a mobility scooter driving front and rear diffs, live axle at the back and drive shafts at the front, motor controller is a 4qd unit, power from 2 x 50ah gel batteries.
While I've been building it my daughter presented me with a new granddaughter so to keep things fair
I am going to build her a bugatti type 35.
The question is does any one know of any plans?
The Jeep has just had its final coat of paint and should be assembled this week i will post some pix then.
Regards Mick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image.jpg    47.4 KB
image.jpg

Rhysn Rhys N
New Zealand   NZL
Welcome Michael. Please read the FAQ at the top of the technical forum. Your Toylander looks great. I like the storage system!

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Hello Michael,
It looks to me as quite complicated project, but done perfectly! Every grandson shall be proud on such grandpa.
For your grand-granddaughter, you could search a lot trough archives of this Club, with a lot of Bugatti 35 replicas.

But for pedal, or electric power kids-auto, you could take a look at Stevenson's web-site:
http://www.stevproj.com/

They have detailed plans for a few models of kids-autos, including Bugatti! Here are web-sites run by builders of Bugatti and of MGTC:
http://thegokart.wordpress.com/2009/11/05/chapter-eleven-thinking-more-about-pedals/
http://www.thenorwoodhome.com/2008/09/building-an-mg-tc-pedal-car-part-1/

Ciao, Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

Thrush Michael Sutton
Thanks Rhys, i did do a search but couldn't find the type of plans I was looking for but one thing I have mastered in my life is patience.

Thank you Zoran, The plans on Stevensons website are just what I was looking for. I shall order them now.
I'll add some more pix of the Willys, these are from when I was trying to get things together, there's also some of the front diff.

Best regards Mick

Attachments:
IMG_0048.JPG    44.5 KB
IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG    55.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
painte dif.JPG    70.5 KB
IMG_1004.JPG    38.1 KB
NateKartiste Nate Sawyer
Port Orchard, USA   USA
1903 CycleKart French "Mors Dauphin"
1926 CycleKart Racing "L'etranger"
You should make a thread for that Toylander: I'd really love to see more of that 4WD setup! Thinking of making a 4wd CK as my next project... ;D

Rhysn Rhys N
New Zealand   NZL
Here is what I was pointing you in the direction of; copied from the FAQ smiling smiley

Please give me a set of your plans?

Sorry, but no. This isn't intended to be rude but:

* There is no master plans list. Some builders design that way, many others do not.
* The main concept is a builder designs their own cycle kart. This follows the history of the period and was part of the design philosophy of the Stevensons who probably did more to start the 'modern era' of cyclekarting.
* It isn't that hard... honest! Have a look at the pictures & videos that surround you, and ask questions. There are pictures & diagrams on this site & others that while not plans, are full of detailed information that give you just about everything you could want

Thrush Michael Sutton
Rhys,I wouldn't dream of robbing someone else's ideas, except Ettore Bugatti.
Perhaps I didn't explain exactly what I wanted, I will explain how this came about.
I recently spent a weekend at a hill climb at Prescot in Gloscestershire, the home of the Bugatti trust.
There is a Bugatti museum there, as you walk in to the museum there is a baby Bugatti, I was immediately interested in it and started to take some pictures commenting to a friend that I would make one for my granddaughter.
The chap who was the curator for the day I think, virtually dismissed me, so that has made my resolve even more.
What I intend to do is try to make an exact replica or as near as possible so I was looking for copies of original drawgs, either of the Baby or full size version that I could scale.
There is a company in England making them. They make a fantastic job and they are very expensive.
The company is called vinVet, I think.
I want to make the whole thing or as much as I can in Aluminium. I have already worked out how to produce the distinctive wheels and the chassis, the drive is from a mobility scooter ! Which I already have.
An English wheel is next on my list, and yes I know it will take a long time to learn but patience and determination cost nothing.
I'm an accomplished welder and machinist. I've been a machine tool fitter for 50 years and only turned my skills to toy making since I retired.

I'm sorry if I asked the wrong question , it was not my intention to offend anyone.

Best regards. Mick

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Hello Rhys,
I think that there wasn't any real problem - Michael wrote: "While I've been building it my daughter presented me with a new granddaughter so to keep things fair I am going to build her a bugatti type 35. ... The question is does any one know of any plans? "

It is obvious that he didn't ask for yours or any other Cycle-Kart plans and no need to be pointed to FAQ and patronized, this is a matter of PUB talks (maybe for Custom karts, too). Therefore, he bought plans from Stevenson Project for pedal-powered kid-auto Bugatti T-35 – auto for his granddaughter...

Ciao, Zoran

In reply to # 8497 by Rhysn Here is what I was pointing you in the direction of; copied from the FAQ smiling smiley
Please give me a set of your plans?
Sorry, but no.
This isn't intended to be rude but:
* There is no master plans list. Some builders design that way, many others do not.
* The main concept is a builder designs their own cycle kart. This follows the history of the period and was part of the design philosophy of the Stevensons who probably did more to start the 'modern era' of cyclekarting.
* It isn't that hard... honest! Have a look at the pictures & videos that surround you, and ask questions. There are pictures & diagrams on this site & others that while not plans, are full of detailed information that give you just about everything you could want

Zoran R. Pualić

gypo Avatar
gypo Doc J
powys, wales, UK   GBR
Hi Michael,

I was born in Redditch and also built Toylander now in Wales...small world

Attachments:
IMAG0033.JPG    48.2 KB
IMAG0033.JPG

gypo Avatar
gypo Doc J
powys, wales, UK   GBR
Tula engineering for baby bugatti T52

http://tula-bug.co.uk/bugatti-t52-childrens-car/

jr007 john r
Bridport, dorset, UK   GBR
Hi Mick - looks like Toylander to CK is becoming a well worn route!
Having done a Toylander Series 1 and with a Series 2 fire engine under way I've made a tentative start on a Type 35 - I found a chassis plan on Google images and have based my Kart loosely on those.
I found the springs to be the hardest to find, I ended up having some custom made by Jones Springs of Darlaston, W.Mids.- very pleased with them.
I'm using 17" front wheels from CT90s - motorcross bikes, I think they look more in keeping.
I cut and welded 3 x 1 tube to get the right shape - need to bow them out now behind the back of the springs but haven't had the time to do any more.
looking forward to see your approach!
JohnR

Attachments:
2014-06-24 09.10.02.jpg    49.8 KB
2014-06-24 09.10.02.jpg

1401195713727.jpg    21.8 KB
2014-05-06 17.26.42.jpg    40.5 KB
Rhysn Rhys N
New Zealand   NZL
I understand all that, patronising was not the intention. I saw the ones at the Schlumpf museum and thought the same thing. What I did not understand from the original post was that the question related to pedal cars. My apologies if I jumped to a false conclusion. The Bugatti Owners are a bit precious aren't they? There are some reasonable photos of the original Bugatti original in the Schlumpf book (I have just discovered I can't find my copy) and the memory is that they had their own type number. They were electric too.
The photo below is what a friend of mine did with a group of students. They did a number in 2 different sizes, they started as pedal and could be easily later converted to electric. The decision to make the bigger ones was so that the use extended beyond the first few years of life. When I was building the pedal aeroplanes I realised the same thing quite independently. It's better to make them a bit bigger than you might first think of otherwise they quite quickly become a large ornament.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-21 12:35 PM by Rhysn.

Attachments:
Bugatti latest 023.jpg    79.2 KB
Bugatti latest 023.jpg

Thrush Michael Sutton
Hello again guys, that's a great build Gypo hope ours is half as good. The Tula bug website is great but I want to make her one, besides probably couldn't afford one.

Zoran, you're right, thats why i posted on this forum.

John r, small world, we've spoken on the toylander forum and if your type 35 is as good as your toylanders it will be a stunner.
I was planning to use aluminium channel for the chassis and roll it to form the barrel shape then weld in stringers and strengtheners at the main points, i want to make the front axle from solid and form the swan necks and weld them to the beam. The wheels will be from alloy plate, can't swing them on my lathe but no problem on the miller with the rotary table, that will allow me to machine the spokes at the same time. i will ring roll the rims from channel to suit the tyres then weld the centers in. The drive will be mobility diff and control as per Toylander. the body will be alloy sheet formed (i hope)

Rhys, I didn't feel patronised. CycleKarts are race cars! what I build are toys. here in the UK children can't use i:c engined vehicles in public places but battery powered vehicles are allowed albeit with speed restrictions. The cars your friend made are almost exactly what I envisaged, except for the wheels.
I've read the specs for the cyclekarts they sound great fun and maybe when the G/kids get a few years older we'll make one.

Best regards Mick

Ps a bit more work on the Toylander, Motor's in, front Diff is in, pedal box is on and steering is connected. Hopefully it will be on its wheels tomorrow.

Attachments:
DSC_0128.JPG    42.4 KB
DSC_0128.JPG

DSC_0131.JPG    35 KB
moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
... offroad vehicles for kids:
Some felow build half-a-dozen of Land-Rovers and jeeps, but asked on some forum what to do with them! I do not know what later happened, but they look well-made...
Ciao, Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić

Attachments:
dzipovi.jpg    37.5 KB
dzipovi.jpg

Rhysn Rhys N
New Zealand   NZL
That is a great looking build. Are those bits from a Quad?
Isn't it ironic that the bit relating to plans (for Cycle Karts) came directly from the Stevensons, yet they sold really cool plans for the pedal car?
The cars shown were built by year 12 students at a nearby high school as a part of their technology classes, from what I understand they were pushing time frames, and some had to go back in during holidays and after school to complete. Making wheels might well have been a breaking point, and as their teacher said, the mini Bug had wire wheels as did some versions of the 35 so he was happy!
Have you looked at the Blueprints website? There are a number of Type 35 drawings on there.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1932 CycleKart American

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links