CKC

The Pub - Off Topic

Type 35 bugatti

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bitalli Vitaliy Koshovyy
Bathgate, West Lothian, UK   GBR
Hi Denny

You have probably specified earlier but please let me know which particular model you are going for. Vary length louver are pain but doable. Planishing hammer with longer stroke is the best I believe for that.

The tooling is milled from 44mm solid round bar offcuts. It just looks like Morris taper but the opening is just to allow the tool to pinch the High speed steel bar.

Kind regards Vitaliy

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Wow!
Very impressive!thumbs upthumbs up
And Yes, the new louvers have a much more appealing curve and depth to them!
Good eye.
Just amazing.
Brian

MalibuMan Cas Tuyn
Weert, Limburg, Netherlands   NLD
Wow, such craftmanship.

I just had to read the full thread, instead of going to bed as i need to work tomorrow.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bitalli Vitaliy Koshovyy
Hi guys

Thank you for the comments.

Just finished the master bonnet. I have removed the high spots and painted it to see how good my English wheeling and dolly work is as in 1924 no filler was allowed :-). It's not bad. I then removed the paint and put the louvers in. The paint colour is not the one that will be used it was more for fun. Results below.

Kind regards Vitaliy

Attachments:
IMG_0285.JPG    36 KB
IMG_0285.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG    39.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0291.JPG    31.8 KB
IMG_0292.JPG    60.8 KB
Bitalli Vitaliy Koshovyy
And some more pictures.

Attachments:
IMG_0294.JPG    46.8 KB
IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG    30.3 KB
Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
That's gonna be one air conditioned kart you're building Vitaliy.
I like the bigger louvers in the lower section. Is it an optical illusion
or are they punched 'in' rather than out??? Also the corners appear
to be more square then rounded as in the smaller ones.
After all that wheeling and shaping...when you posted that you had
remade the die to hold the base metal flat I thought you might flatten
or loose some of the shape when you punch the louvers in.
Maybe my memory is playing tricks but in a previous posting didn't you
say you had a Norton fly press? Did you use it to do any of the louvers
or are you doing them all in the dedicated tooling you made for that?
dg

Bitalli Vitaliy Koshovyy
Hi Denny

You are right the lower louvers are punched in and square as per Bugatti. I have made the new tooling to "free" punch so to say as my previous tooling was holding the metal and was trying to flatten the very curved shape of the bonnet. I use Norton 6 deep throat fly press and make tooling for it. I was planning to build dedicated louver press, but decided to cut my whole bonnet in to 2 and use the very ridgit fly press instead. Especially after watching a video of Morgan production where they use fly press for louver punching.

I have an idea for variable length louvers: first shear the metal to the desired length using whatever set up you have (e.g. Bridgeport with 2 fixed sharp bars and punch using the knee travel) and then roll using custom wheels in the bead roller that match the shape of the louver profile. Just an idea.

Kind regards Vitaliy

Thrush Michael Sutton
Redditch, Worcestershire, UK   GBR
Vitaliy, those bonnets are so good I think you have made a CNC English wheel. I can tell you there will be filler in my panels !!!!. The seat i made was no good, not enough clearance under the steering wheel so I had to make another and that is being upholstered now. And because I had to lower the seat cushion it meant I had to reposition the batteries but I think I'm back on track now.

Best regards Mick

Bitalli Vitaliy Koshovyy
Hi Mick

CNC English wheel? You got me thinking there for a bit, the idea might have legs :-)

On a serious note I have earlier made some unsubstantiated claims of sheet metal shaping being my strength so have to somehow justify them. Having said that I have made a transition from hating the bloody thing to looking forward to challenges.

Please post some pictures once the new seat is in place. The first one looked great. Did you get a discount for repeated business?

Kind regards Vitaliy

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
I should know better than to question you on your accuracy.
I just looked a bunch of photos in my Bugatti folder and the
lower large louvers look to be punched 'out' like the rest until
you really blow the picture up and look real close.
In they are!
Thanks
dg

storm Storm Connors
Elkins, NH, USA   USA
Beautiful Jeep! I am wondering why the motor was set off center. It seems like the angle of the front driveshaft would cause the u joints some extra strain. It also occurred that using 2 motors for 4 wheel drive might be neat. What were the differentials from, a wheel chair?
Thanks for posting.
storm

Thrush Michael Sutton
Hello Storm, the motor was offset to allow more room for the pedals but in reality it didn't need a brake pedal at all. There doesn't seem to be any extra stresses on the U/J's. The problem using two motors was around width,especially at the front. I built the body from a kit that originally had a single rear wheel drive from a starter motor.
The Diffs were home made, I had to introduce some reduction gearing as the wheels were twice as big as the originals.

Best regards Mick

Thrush Michael Sutton
Hello guys, I haven't been able to spend as much time on the car as I would have liked but I have done a bit this last week or so. I'm still waiting for the new seat to come back from the upholsterers then all I have to get is the speed control, sound generator, and remote cutout. The throttle pedal is finished and fitted, I've made it adjustable and unbreakable, the batteries have been re-sited just behind the motor.
Here's a few pix, not sure about the spare wheel as it might look too small, the welding on the tail will be dressed back and filled but it's not too bad for butt welded 1.2mm alli.
It's all on hold now as she informed me whilst we were on holiday that she wants me to make her a rocking Unicorn instead of a horse, that's all cut out and glued up on the bench now.

Best regards Mick

Attachments:
IMG_1271.JPG    39.2 KB
IMG_1271.JPG

IMG_1272.JPG    69.3 KB
IMG_1273.JPG    32.3 KB
IMG_1276.JPG    28.7 KB
Team classic Brian S
Lyttelton Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand   NZL
Wow, Love it Micheal. Just like the real thing Congratulations. Brian S.

jr007 john r
Bridport, dorset, UK   GBR
What a beautiful car - well done.
I'm close to finishing my Toylander fire engine, then you've inspired me to pick up where I left off with my Bugatti T35 cyclekart - trouble is you've set a high bar!

Attachments:
seats.jpg    38.9 KB
seats.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1930 CycleKart Race Car

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links