Custom Karts Forum

My Cycle Kart Build "Cosmo"

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Topper2011 Avatar
Topper2011 Roland Young
Los Altos, CA, USA   USA
Hi everyone! This cyclekart will probably be as boring as watching paint dry. It will be slow, it will be tedious and it will horrify those following my (lack) of mechanical expertise. I cannot weld and after you've seen me solder, you would not want me to weld an ashtray. So here we go.

"Man plans, God laughs"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-13 12:07 PM by Topper2011.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Topper2011 Avatar
Topper2011 Roland Young
Los Altos, CA, USA   USA
Recently got my engine, a former pressure washer GX200. This orchard ladder forms the main frame with sub frames for the stressed bits. This leaf spring is from my Willys pickup with most of the leaves removed. Unfortunately, it measures 36 1/2" end to end, making it outside the span of the Stevenson formula of 40" total track when the spindles are added. Thought I could have repurposed an otherwise throw away part. Guess I'll have to get a buggy spring. The car I plan on building is outside the formula of 1920-30's racers. It will be a 1951 Dellows Mk1. These were built on Ford chassis with a Ford engine to compete in hill climbs. Not many were built, but we're fairly successful. The later ones used tubular steel with bodywork panels wrapped around the tubes. Supposedly easy to replace the panels as most were flat with a single curve with the exception of the fenders, or "wings".

http://dellowregister.co.uk/images/GMO970-003.jpg

Hopefully the picture I borrowed from the net will give you an idea of what it looks like. I've only seen one live here in the states and have liked them ever since.

"Man plans, God laughs"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 06:14 PM by Topper2011.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    36.4 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    75.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
image.jpeg    56.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
loose ctrl Ben M
Upstate, South Carolina, USA   USA
I'm not to sure about that ladder frame, but I am watching on with intense interest.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Topper2011 Avatar
Topper2011 Roland Young
Los Altos, CA, USA   USA
Yes, I'm hoping it will be strong enough for some rough riding. I figured if it's good enough for John Krakauer and Sherpas....hot smiley

I am also planning on reinforcing it with a full length floor of 5/8" plywood bolted to the top section that I got for free. Plus the aforementioned sub frames that will mount the front suspension and the rear mounted engine and drive chain.

"Man plans, God laughs"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 10:29 PM by Topper2011.

Topper2011 Avatar
Topper2011 Roland Young
Los Altos, CA, USA   USA
Well, things have been modified for my ladder spinning smiley sticking its tongue out frame kart. I've decide the orchard ladder was too tapered, making the rear way too wide. So I've decided to use a different ladder I've gotten from my dad many years ago. Another 8' a frame ladder. It's much narrower at the foot so I could have a slimmer kart. It's only 24" at it's widest, while the orchard ladder is closer to 33" Also, my dad almost never used it and stored it in the garage where I've had it outside in the elements for the last 15 years. So, since I've got 3 wooden a frame ladders, decided to put this one to some fun use.

Still trying to figure out the proportions right now and the frame will be reinforced, but will allow some compliance. Hopefully I can engineer this to hold up to abuse and not end up in a mangled heap.grinning smiley

"Man plans, God laughs"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-13 12:06 PM by Topper2011.

Topper2011 Avatar
Topper2011 Roland Young
Los Altos, CA, USA   USA
I have a question regarding the rear axle. The Stevenson Formula states to use one driven wheel, which I would interpret as one wheel must freewheel. How is this accomplished? Does one CT90 rear wheel bolted to an Azusa hub is used as the driven and a front CT90 wheel with bearings used on the "free" wheel? Like a front spindle wheel?confused smiley

"Man plans, God laughs"

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
You use an Azusa hub on both rears. Bolt the hub to the axle and the wheel to the hub. The hubs take a woodruff key, you just put a key in one side.

Topper2011 Avatar
Topper2011 Roland Young
Los Altos, CA, USA   USA
Victor, thanks. I do wonder how the non-keyed would not wear out the hub or the axle if it just freewheels in turns without a bearing in there?

"Man plans, God laughs"

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
1933 MG Magnette
Yes turns without a bearing. It doesn't turn that much really, but I'd recommend greasing the axle and covering the hole for the set screw, a small bolt would work. Of course you can't use the set screw or the hub won't turn.

Topper2011 Avatar
Topper2011 Roland Young
Los Altos, CA, USA   USA
Thanks Victor, it makes sense.

"Man plans, God laughs"

bobwilcox Gold Member Bob Wilcox
Riverside, MO, USA   USA
1925 Ford Model T "Speedway Special"
1934 Austin America "Austin American Special"
Here's a thought. On my kart I installed a grease fitting in the set screw hole.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
1933 MG Magnette
Bob. I looked for a nipple for there I couldn't find one to fit.

bobwilcox Gold Member Bob Wilcox
Riverside, MO, USA   USA
1925 Ford Model T "Speedway Special"
1934 Austin America "Austin American Special"
I re-tapped the hub.

Racie35 Bruce Thomas
Terre Haute, In, USA   USA
How far along are you with that chassis Roland?

Topper2011 Avatar
Topper2011 Roland Young
Los Altos, CA, USA   USA
Bruce, I'm in the hunting and gathering stage. Just received the torque converter. As soon as I get the rear axle, I'll be able to start positioning things. Have finally gotten the true dimensions of the real car, now to scale it down to Kart size. Not too big a change as the original car is only 11+ft long and my car will be around 8-9ft total. It's glacial slow, but in the right direction. grinning smiley

"Man plans, God laughs"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-24 07:52 AM by Topper2011.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1930 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links