CKC

Custom Karts Forum

East Coast Chapter - Exciting opportunity!!!

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Markgk Silver Member Mark Kenny
Annandale, NJ, USA   USA
Hi - I am trying to understand the interest level of an East Coast Chapter Club. I tried to start a thread in the Off-Topics thread and it's going OK but I need to generate more energy!!!!!!

IMO...the only way this crazy sport will grow if more enthusiasts meet together to generate energy. This is big-time motivation!!!!

I haven't even started drawing a design...but without a support system I'm not investing the time to build then ride my CK around my yard. What a bummer...spending 6+months designing and building a CK...only to be able to embarrass myself creating a path around the house...what will the neighbors think?

There are 30+ million people from Boston to DC...maybe more...there has to be at least 50 or so people who will embrace this great sport. Every person I've met (male or female...old to young) thinks this sport is really, really cool.

Where are all of these crazy CK people located...it seems that they are only from NW America? Can't we compete with these "strange west coast liberals"??? Once there is a critical mass in the East Coast...this sport will grow exponentially...

Trump was elected...anything is possible....

Sorry for the rah-rah...I'm on my 3rd bottle of beer....

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Azroddy Avatar
Azroddy Jon R
Mesa, AZ, USA   USA
The Arizona CycleKart Club had 15 karts out this last weekend. It was our 3rd monthly meeting. I am in the process of building and I know 3 or 4 others in the club that are building their first or another one. There is not one way to make a successful club. We haven't set up any club rules or any membership. We are just a bunch of guys that love cyclekarting getting together to drive and talk shop. It takes a long time to build a Kart. Starting a club will take time. You need to get people excited about them then they will put in the time to build one. Stay positive and remember its suppose to be fun.

Now build your kart and show people so they can get hooked.

Jon

Here is a video from our last meeting.

Jon R.
Arizona Cyclekart Club Member

Check out my Cyclekart videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvkqtC-vHIKjoizyjuGnH6g

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
I agree!
Most people (serious car people) have never heard of cyclekarts!
I was one.....until a non "car guy' friend of mine (teardrop trailer camper" sent me a link back in January.
That link changed my whole life in a matter of hours.
Now I am building, promoting, and recruiting!
We have a Chapter here in B.C. now with 10 members since October and just got a couple new inquiries yesterday!
Tis thing is taking off, as it is perfect for old car guys who are tired of spending their life savings just to have some yuppy with a kid or a dog damage your Street Rod or beloved Restoration at some "Car Show" because they just have " NO IDEA" as what it took in labour and money to create that thing of beauty for them to scratch on their Sunday outing.
Amazing what a couple glasses of wine can do to allow us to say what we really feel!
Merry Christmas!
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
If you build one, they will come.

Annandale, NJ, USA   USA
I'm currently pretty busy building (1/4 finished) an electric F150 for my grandson. I purchased a beat up electric mobility scooter and salvaged all of the electronics and transaxle. BTW - The tires and rims cost $5 (yes $5) each. If you need lawnmower tires (16X650X8) you should check out http://www.agrisupply.com/. These are live wheel tires so you may have to sleeve them with a sleeve bearing.

When I'm finished, I'll post some pictures. Should be a cool little truck.

That's my introduction to CK and from that I should be ready for a car.

Hope that there are some members who will come out of the woodwork and get excited. Quite honestly, I have no idea why this sport is not exploding. Who wouldn't want to be a 10 year old again?

CmdBentaxle Avatar
Ok Mark, here's the thing, as I see it.
There are of course, many, many of us who would like to be 10 yrs old again, but relatively few who would be willing to admit to it within their social circles. The childlike joy associated with the cyclekart, the very quality that draws us, will be seen as childish in the eyes of some of our peers. To spend the time and money, to make space for such a thing in the life of a grown adult? Really, now. . Wouldn't it be better to use ones resources on something like say, a kitchen remodel?
They won't as much as say it, but you see the look.

But then, an interesting thing happens. The first time you roll that thing out into the sunshine, ready to run, Here come all those repressed kids. Lining up to take a spin in your toy car. Jostling over who goes first. They don't care who sees them, or how silly they might appear to the scowling curmudgeons. Because the Cyclekart is irresistible. It is a time machine that takes you back to simpler and more carefree days. Anyone who drives it comes back with a look of childlike joy.
To the terminally serious though, it's foolishness. They stand way back. It is sadly their loss.

To guys like us Mark, a video clip or an article on some site will be enough to rivit us. But for more widespread enthusiasm,there's no substitute for that first drive to grab the imagination. No car, no drive. But it sounds like you guys have the nucleus of an active scene building back there. Just a property you can meet up and run on is like gold, even if it's a bit of a drive. Keep the faith, and get something simple rolling. If it's too complex you're liable loose steam before you can demo it for people.

Have fun with the build, but get it driving!

Dave

Annandale, NJ, USA   USA
Dave - fantastic post...thanks for the encouragement. You really captured what most of us are thinking and feeling!

Thanks again,

Mark

CmdBentaxle Avatar
Thanks Mark.
I'm really fortunate to live where there is activity nearby. Even so, it can be a lonely business getting started if you don't reach out.
Having a supportive family has been huge as well, of course.

Annandale, NJ, USA   USA
Does anyone have an estimate of the number of CKs that have been completed (or near completed)? 100, 1000, 10,000?

Any estimate on active members in all of the clubs?

How big is this thing?

Azroddy Avatar
Azroddy Jon R
Mesa, AZ, USA   USA
This is an interesting question. I am curious about the numbers also.

I don't know about the other locations but I can give Arizona numbers.

Arizona CycleKart Club has 11 driveable karts and 4 being built.

The Vintage Kart Co / Grand Prix of Scottsdale guys have 60 karts. last week they had 6 Karts out to our meet. They are also part our club.

Active members are hard to say. We have had a meetup every month now for 3 months. Each time we have about 20 to 30 people there.

Jon R.
Arizona Cyclekart Club Member

Check out my Cyclekart videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvkqtC-vHIKjoizyjuGnH6g

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
This is exactly how go karting got started. Back in the late 50's a handful of
us would show up at a parking lot of a closed factory with our homemade
karts hanging out the trunk, (cars had real trunks back then you know)
and have a blast till the coppers came round and chased us off. It wasn't
long before someone built a track in a vacant field. For the first year or so
there were just a couple dozen of us running there on Sundays in the summer.
It wasn't long somewhere around '57 or '58 that GKCA was formed, and
we started to have rules and a few classes to even out the karts.
dg

CmdBentaxle Avatar
That, like or not, is kind of the way of things for most of us up to this point.
A certain amount of bootleg activity, not strictly on the up and up, gets us by between the more ligit gatherings.
While I would never encourage illegal behavior, Oh,no. One must be willing to test out different environments,
so as to determine the level of acceptance/resistance, whilst being mindful of pushing the bounds of
obnoxiousness. Not everyone will have the stomach for this sort of thing. Find a big lot like Denny says, screw on
a good muffler, and don't get wild or stay too long. You may even get permission, but I doubt it.

Dave

1954 Chevrolet 3600
Hard to believe it's been that long but even back 60 years ago, when I built my
first kart, the excuse was always, that the company's weren't insured in
case we did some damage to the property or someone got hurt in their lot.
Any company executive or business owner to day would have a conniption fit
because of the direction the legal system has gone. Everything from spilled
coffee to disciplining your kid is fodder for a law suit to day.

Tieton, BC, the Arizona bunch,the east coast and an effort in the Carolina's,
are examples of how a group can take off, when someone with some
organizational skills takes the reins. Once you get the cart rolling I think
you'll find lots of people jumping on board.
As Dave eluded to, "Build it and they will come."

DG

Annandale, NJ, USA   USA
DG - everything you wrote makes sense.

But how do you start a club when you only have 5 people from 5 different states on the east coast say they are interested? 5 out of 20 million people give a commitment on a message board. Compounding that...what is the probability that all 5 will be able to meet this message blog commitment...including me. I would have expected dozens of people to at least show some level of interest. It is unbelievable.

I will state over and over again that everyone that I have shown some great pictures and (very well made) youtube videos has bubbled with enthusiasm. When I asked them if they would want to drive one...like a 10 year old...they say "of course"!! 100%

I have told friends (perhaps foolishly) that this sport could grow exponentially. It would be incredibly cool if this sport took off like the go kart mania in the 50's and 60's.

Even the new messages that I have posted into this website have failed to have but a few responses.

Please understand that I am not trying to annoy or insult the current active enthusiasts (especially the webmeisters that have done a terrific job of pulling this website together). I'm trying to gage the true interest level (at least on the east coast) and determine my personal reward for spending a year designing and building my CK.

1954 Chevrolet 3600
Mark, a lot of the driving force behind these comes from the satisfaction gained from scratch building something.
As in my case, the greatest amount of pleasure I derive from it is in the build. Of course I will have a blast beating
in a course in the back pasture, and if it ever happens, getting together with like minded builders, but the most
fun I'll have is in the build.
I had always wanted to fly, so one summer a very long time ago, I got my private license, then spent 5000 man hours
scratch building a Pitts Special aerobatic airplane from a set of plans. It was literally my second full time job for
2 1/2 years with very, very little interruption during that period. I first flew it in 1980 then flew it in competition with
the IAC for the next four years.
After putting about 500 hours on the plane the cost of flying began to catch up with me, a blue collar factory worker,
and I had to park it. I baby sat it in a heated dehumidified hanger for the next 25 years in hopes that I could afford to
fly again when I retired. That didn't happen and I finally sold it to a crop duster down in Buenos Aires, Brasil All I
could recoup was the original investment in materials and that was in 1982 dollars only.
Shortly after finishing the Pitts, I built a 2-place Piper Vagabond copy which I finished ready for covering. It went to
a guy from Main a year or so before the Pitts was sold. Only recovered some of the cost of material on that one.
Point being, I had the most fun during the building process, not so much fun once they were built.
If your object is just to experience the thrill of driving, than there are karts coming up for sale once in a while which
are completed and more often near completion. Or go to a decent go kart track for a few weekends and see if you
can get it out of your system of if you truly want to build a light low powered fun car.
In case you think all this was just hot air...here's what's left of my past, just a few pictures and the satisfaction
that I can say, I once did it:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/flying_machine&page=all

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1921 CycleKart Vintage

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links