Engine installation

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

fly44 Avatar
fly44 Don Nothwang/c
Hillsboro, Oregon, USA   USA
1921 CycleKart German "Chitty"
I tried to tell ya Ivan to just tack it together till your satisfied with how it fits,like mine was I had to change a few things when I finally got to fitting the steering which led to changing my Motor mounts and axle mounting back farther.Its a Basic jigsaw puzzle where you make the pieces fit.I went back later to do the final welding when I had the basic kart built to make sure like you did that all was square,so I feel for ya about not being square

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
lqbanotxano Ivan Martinez
Sugar Land, Texas, USA   USA
I should have listened on pre tacking the frame.
Will do more pre tacking from now on.

Ivan from Texas

fly44 Avatar
fly44 Don Nothwang/c
Hillsboro, Oregon, USA   USA
Really sucks when you have to go back and adjust here adjust there,swap from one side to the other,slide that over,move the motor back 6 " so you can sit,move the steering up so you can get in and out quickly,lower the seat floor to gain more room for your knees,move the rad forward so the pedals dont hit the steering.Its a major jigsaw puzzle with no instructions and verbal help from others.Your doing good,just think it all through before doing anything,measure 200 times try to do it only once,Have fun and keep in touch

Don,
I have a new Motto......Like Ronald Reagan said "Tack But Verify" ......well, If he didn't say it he would have If he built a Cyclekart.

Here is a picture of my brake progress.....day & a half of work!

Ivan from Texas

Attachments:
Brake layout.jpg    56.3 KB
Brake layout.jpg

Have not been able to work on my Cyclekart these last few days...trying to get my plane flying again.
Overhauled the carburetor & reinstalled last weekend. This weekend I have to change the oil & filter... put the propeller on temporarily to run the engine to adjust the carburetor....remove the propeller, put the cowling on, put the propeller back torqued & safety wired...& hopefully test fly (if weather cooperates.

Here are some pictures of my cleaning & repainting the back of the propeller. My friend painted the front of the propeller for me....I had it for the last year & a half with the two tone wood showing (that is how I left it when I made it the propeller...layers of Mahogany & Maple) One could see the fiberglass weave a little through the clear resin so....we painted it.

Attached are some pictures....
- repainting the back of the propeller with propeller epoxy flat black paint. Flat black is used to get rid of glare coming of the back of the painted propellers.
- balancing propeller till a dollar bill moves the blade....this is the approved method used by some propeller makers.
- I like to make my propellers more balanced. The little white piece of paper you see on the end of the propeller blade is 1-1/2" sq/in & that won't move the blade....anything bigger did.

I know this is not Cyclekart stuff but I thought it may be interesting to some.

Ivan in Texas

Attachments:
Propeller paint & balance 1.jpg    41.4 KB
Propeller paint & balance 1.jpg

Propeller paint & balance 2.jpg    37.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Propeller paint & balance 3.jpg    45.9 KB
Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
Yes it is Ivan. And a nice looking prop it is.
I had a standing reservation for the week at the Motel 6 across from
Whitman Field for the 20 years that I attended the EAA flyin. I spent the
whole week every year attending as many of the seminars as I could.
The one thing that I always wanted to make was a wood prop for the
IO-320 in my Pitts S-1-D, which I scratch built in the early 80's. I never
did figure out how to layout the optimal air foil for a 130mph airplane,
so the prop never got made.
I baby sat the Pitts till a few years ago, but at 75 years old I figured it was
time to move on to a milder hobby. A younger guy down in Argentina is its
caretaker now.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/flying_machine
dg

Denny,

I scratch built & flew a Sonerai 2LS with a Continental A85 on it for 11 years. It was aerobatic & very quick. I could cruise at 135-150 mph...but it was a handful to take off & land (very small rudder). It finally got to be too much for me at my age & I parted it out. I then I built the CH701. The 701 is much slower but it is STOL & much easier to land....plus I can take passengers. I never took passengers in the Sonerai.

I got my 701 put back together & started Sunday...but the weather did not cooperate & I did not get to test fly it.

Now back to work on the Cyclekart.

Ivan from Texas

Got my brake & throttle pedals rigged now. Pictures posted for group"s perusal, specially the Northwestern Bunch & the Lone Canadian. Your input is welcome.

Ivan from Texas

Attachments:
Throttle & brake pedals.jpg    52.6 KB
Throttle & brake pedals.jpg

Brake system.jpg    52.8 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1912 CycleKart American

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links